Never Never Trivia Contest, Round 2

From the creator of THE SUBURBAN JUNGLE!

Moderator: The Gneech

Postby GrimMalady on Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VaCKo:
<B> Yes, it is. However, that question WAS for Level Head...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>AARGH! Sorry. This is why I need to stay off the Internet unless I've had more than 4 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. Sorry again. I'll... just be leaving now.
GrimMalady
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Going to and fro on the earth, and walking back and forth on it.

Postby Aziraphale on Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:21 am

49. When wishing good luck to Col. Beowulf and Mopsy, as they hurried back to Arcadia, he says, "Good... um... luck." So, the answer is '... um...'<P>59. When the Queen puts on whiskers and big floppy ears.<P>69. a) When Mopsy is asked what it is that pooka do. (October 4, 1998)<P>b)The difference between human and fairy building practices. (April 13, 1999)<P>c) When Mopsy points out the similarity of P.A.M. and not telling Arthur he was the Pendragon sooner. (October 12, 2001)<P>85. November 5 & 8, 1998<P>87. I counted 4 different signs.<P>91. October 25, 1998<P>...<P>Pooka..? Pookas..? Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to pluralize pooka?<p>[This message has been edited by Aziraphale (edited 12-29-2001).]
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LevelHead on Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lionkingcmsl:
<B> 28. Who receives notes on-camera?<P>Ok, I think I finally got this one.<P>The first problem is that we, the contestants, were looking for "people" that were <I>handed</I> notes.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You correctly recognized that the usual interpretation of "received" was too narrow. You are definitely on the right track. One problem down, one remaining. (And yes, many summons begin with "Please Take Note"{g}... and it would have been handwritten; doesn't seem likely that The High Warren uses word processors.)<P>Hint: Notice the correct solution, seven, posted to question #38: "How many times does The Gneech stage a coupe."<P>New questions going up now.<P>------------------

===|==============/ Level Head
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aziraphale on Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:41 am

Can I get an confirmation check on 27, 54, 55, and 56? I posted answers to them, y'see...
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:15 am

60. Tiffany wrings her tail
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:18 pm

l <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LevelHead:
<B> You correctly recognized that the usual interpretation of "received" was too narrow. You are definitely on the right track. One problem down, one remaining. (And yes, many summons begin with "Please Take Note"{g}... and it would have been handwritten; doesn't seem likely that The High Warren uses word processors.)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay.
If I assume that you don't count the note from the "Lady of the Lake", which is pretty funny :=3 , because Gen. Blither has the note when the strip "opens", the count could either be 4 or 6.<P>The fourth is when Arthur gets the clipboard, which has notes on what to do, from the counselor in the summer camp story arc.<P>Now, here is where it may get confusing. Are you counting the two notes to "self".
They are:
1. Arthur while holding the Black Knight's helmet and him commenting on wearing armor during a lightening storm
and
2. Lady Drewdrop after getting "flamed" by a startled dragon. She comments about startling a sleeping dragon.<P>
------------------
LionkingCMSL - The railroading lion.
When it's a tie at a grade crossing, <I>YOU</I> lose.
Please go to <A HREF="http://www.oli.org" TARGET=_blank>Operation Life Saver's</A> home page for more information on rail/highway grade crossing safety info.
My <A HREF="http://users.snip.net/~lionking" TARGET=_blank>Home page</A>.<p>[This message has been edited by Lionkingcmsl (edited 12-29-2001).]
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Gneech on Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrimMalady:
<B> AARGH! Sorry. This is why I need to stay off the Internet unless I've had more than 4 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. Sorry again. I'll... just be leaving now.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey! Angst is off-topic on these boards! You get back here and have fun or else!<P> -The Gneech
<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.suburbanjungle.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suburbanjungle.com</A> - The life, loves, and career of aspiring supermodel and ferocious predator, Tiffany Tiger<P>http://www.mopsy.com - NeverNever is back!<P>"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world and then goes home cryin' to his momma!" -Mr. T
The Gneech
Keenspot Despot

Location: I'm usually at work, except when I'm not, but I'm at work then, too.

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:27 am

Ok. More Answers:<P>58. When does Mopsy first appear in Arthur
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:02 am

Ahem!<P>The "railroading lion" has a request.<P>I know that is nearing the end of this "phase" of the contest, but I think a simple request is in order.<P>To stop people from double posting the correct answers, could you please quote the entire question and not just the number.<P>To wit:<P>Aziraphale, on 12/29/01 posted: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
85. November 5 & 8, 1998<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now I didn't reconize the question by number only, so I posted, on 12/30/01: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
85. When are Wildfire
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LevelHead on Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:54 am

Aziraphale's responses, [and mine[/b]
68. When Arthur climbs out of the hole.
<B>I was thinking of something a bit more "social"</B>
71. Arthur, when she changes size.
<B>That's one example, but not the only one</B>
72. When he tells the Black Knight to let him do all the talking.
<B>That's one example, but not the only one</B>
77. Col. Thunder, and Col. Beowulf
<B>There are more.</B>
79. Arthur: 1
Scott: 12
<B>Right track, but read the question carefully!</B>
83. That's not a question, that's a statement!
<B>Apologies, fixed it. It now says:
83. Mopsy can be provoked into attacking. When does this happen?
</B><P>92. Mopsy, right about now.
<B>I'll take it -- point for you.</B><P>101. Lady Dewdrop with Lt. Bristle, and Col. Beowulf with Mopsy
<B>But wait, there's more!</B><P>108. When ever she raises her hand.
<B>But wait, there's more!</B><P>112. When he incerates the Black Knight?
<B>This is a trick question. Notice anything unusual about it?</B><P>115. When Col. Beowulf smashes the bulldozer through the wall at the bitty-burger construction site.
<B>The expression 'fourth wall' refers to the "front wall" of the comic strip, between the characters and the audience -- the expression "breaking the fourth wall" refers to characters interacting with the apparent knowledge that they <I>are</I> characters, or actors, in a comic strip. For example, interacting with the audience, or in the case of comic strips, interacting with or referring to the author. <P>I've addressed "looking at the audience" elsewhere, but there is at least one occasion where something more significant happens...</B><P>117. "I wanna go home!"
[b]Scott appears in more than one strip, so he's not a "one shot". Even so, I was thinking of something a little more eloquent. <P>Hamlet's "To be, or not to be..." speech is an example of a soliloquy, a speech that, while ostensibly to oneself, is really to get a point across to the audience.<P><P>------------------

===|==============/ Level Head
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aziraphale on Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:24 am

*shrugs* I know what a fourth wall is, I just thought you were playing more word games. And from now on, I'll post the questions as well as the answers. Sorry for any and all confusion.<P>49. What extra word does Arthur insert?<P><B>When wishing good luck to Col. Beowulf and Mopsy, as they hurried back to Arcadia, he says, "Good... um... luck." So, the answer is '... um...'</B><P>59. When does a faerie appear without antennae?<P><B>When the Queen puts on whiskers and big floppy ears.</B><P>69. An embarrassing question provokes an annoyed response
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby VaCKo on Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:32 am

Some answers:<P><b>80.
VaCKo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LevelHead on Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:34 am

posted by Aziraphale:
86. I'd say Agatha, but she's got three horns... The Dark Lord, perhaps?
<B>The Dark Lord it is, and we'll neatly bypass the distinction between horns and antlers -- unless the Gneech has a bone to pick with me on this.{g}</B><P>109. December 13, when Blither orders a dozen... somethings that go BOOM.
<B>Nope.</B><P>49. When wishing good luck to Col. Beowulf and Mopsy, as they hurried back to Arcadia, he says, "Good... um... luck." So, the answer is '... um...'
<B>That's not what I was thinking of, and it's only that 'um' isn't really a word that lets me get out of this.{g}</B><P>59. When the Queen puts on whiskers and big floppy ears.
<B>Yes. There are other occasions, but they are all smaller and less obvious -- drawing antennae when the entire character is very small is problematic. Your point.</B>
69. (Embarassing question, annoyed responses)(October 4, 1998)(April 13, 1999)(October 12, 2001)
<B>Great, I like it</B><P>85. November 5 & 8, 1998<P>87. I counted 4 different signs.
<B>Yes you did. But I didn't.{g}</B><P>91. October 25, 1998
<B>Yes. There's one other occasion, if anyone spots that I'll give them a point as well.<P>Pooka..? Pookas..? Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to pluralize pooka?
[b]Well, The Gneech would be the final authority of course. However, as Pooka is derived from old Irish/Scottish folklore ("phouka, phoukas"), and is not a Latin-derived word, standard pluralization seems to work. So, "pookas" should be fine. I see many references this way in literature.</B><P>Speaking of which, where did Literature go?<P>
<B>Posted by LionkingCMSL</B><P>58. When does Mopsy first appear in Arthur
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LevelHead on Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:07 am

Posted by Aziraphale
*shrugs* I know what a fourth wall is, I just thought you were playing more word games.
<B>Hard to fault your logic. {g}</B><P>And from now on, I'll post the questions as well as the answers. Sorry for any and all confusion.
<B>Okay. I will pick up only the "different" answers from your previous post.</B><P>71. Who looks up to Mopsy?
Arthur, Col. Beowulf, Gnorman, the Delivery Gnome, and Uncle Matthew.
<B>Yes, but I am specifically looking for instances not just based on the normal difference in height between characters. Everone on your list is good, except for the delivery gnome who's a short critter compared to Mopsy's normal "faerie-relating" height. So, there's at least one more out there.<P>A hint -- there is a connection to The Visit to my office...</B><P>77. What characters appear in multiple panels with moustaches?
<B>Col. Thunder, Col. Beowulf, the Captain at Fort Knox, Cunstruction Guy Burt, Counselor Larry, Mark's Father, and Blither.</B>
<B>Yep! Hard work, this was -- abd your point.</B><P>79. How many does a character repeat
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LevelHead on Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:16 am

Originally posted by VaCKo:
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aziraphale on Sun Dec 30, 2001 9:36 am

*snaps fingers* Drat! Still, my answers are scatter-shot. But wait...<P>Aha! Clarity strikes me like hamnmer to the fore-brain!<P>79. How many times does a character repeat
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aziraphale on Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:04 am

Mouse it to <I>rodentia</I><P>as<P>Rabbit is to <I>lagomorpha</I>.<P>Similar, but different.<P>...<P>...What am I doing?!? I could be answering more questions with this post!<P>18.
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrimMalady on Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:17 am

Posted by Aziraphale:
<B>105. When do rodents appear in the story?<P>At the very beginning, when Col. Beowulf is caught in the mousetrap, and when Lt. Bristle shows Lady Dewdrop how they train cats.</B><P>Hamsters are rodents, right? So, also when we see Beowulf's war-hamster.
But I'm sure this is some vile trick question and there's actually a mouse craftily hidden in every panel of the strip between 12/12/99 and 3/14/00 or something.<P><P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/d20/rpgcat/index.html" TARGET=_blank>My page of catgirl research</A> - I have a Ph.D in catgirl research. No, really; I spend nearly every free minute on heavy... uh, research.
Jingle Cats? Sheesh. Tell the fire fairy I said hi.
GrimMalady
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrimMalady on Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:27 am

I'm reposting my last two answers because I don't think they've been... uh, answered.<P>107. When should we have known that Jenny would be a continuing character?<P>Either when the archive page on <A HREF="http://www.gneech.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gneech.com</A> had an excerpt from a book about Arthur saying that Jenny's influence on Arthur's future could not be understated (or something like that), or when someone on this forum noted that Jennifer=Guinivere?<P>114. How many times is the Colonel captured?<P>Once in a bag by Goblins, once by the guards at Fort Knox, and once by the Gnomeco trap during summer camp. That's all I remember. WAIT... which "the Colonel?" I don't believe Colonel Thunder has ever been captured. Nor has Colonel Sanders, not that he or his fast food franchise have ever appeared in NeverNever...
Or maybe this is a sappy trick question and Mopsy metaphorically "captured" Beowulf!
I'll get one of these right one of these days.<P>
GrimMalady
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:42 am

107. When should we have known that Jenny would be a continuing character?<P>A. When Arthur is dragged home from camp <I>without</I> Jenny's phone number.
either that or when she is shown Arcadia and the way to get there.<P>BTW, is why is someone asking for directions to Arcadia like a certain song? :=3<P>------------------
Please go to <A HREF="http://www.oli.org" TARGET=_blank>Operation Life Saver's</A> home page for more information on rail/highway grade crossing safety info.
My <A HREF="http://users.snip.net/~lionking" TARGET=_blank>Home page</A>.
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LevelHead on Mon Dec 31, 2001 7:28 am

<font size=3>Posted by Aziraphale...</font>
79. How many times does a character repeat
LevelHead
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LevelHead:
<B>
BTW, is why is someone asking for directions to Arcadia like a certain song? :=3<P>Other than the oft-referenced "Show me the way to go home", about which a question remains open, you got me. I cannot make "Do you know the way to San Jose" work, nor "Carry me back, to old..." ah, never mind.<P>No other tune occurs to me, but I'll bet you've got a good one. Which?</B><P>===|==============/ Level Head<P>[This message has been edited by LevelHead (edited 12-31-2001).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually it <I>is</I> "Do you know the way to San Jose" I had in mind. :=3<P>I'll admit it, "Do you know the way to Arcadia", doesn't quite make it, but what the hey. ;=3
<P>------------------
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nebulous on Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aziraphale:
108. We see Arthur
Nebulous
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aziraphale on Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:21 am

Well, I suppose you're...<P>Wait a minute...<P>I... won, didn't I? I did! I DID! I WON!<P>WHOO HOO!!!<P>[This message has been edited by Aziraphale (edited 12-18-2001).]
Aziraphale
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lionkingcmsl on Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aziraphale:
<B>Well, I suppose you're...<P>Wait a minute...<P>I... won, didn't I? I did! I DID! I WON!<P>WHOO HOO!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, we both won! ;=3<P>You won the contest for the question <I>from</I> LevelHead (you gave me a run and beat me, and I had to leave to do a NYE dance {lights and sound] so I didn't get a chance to recover the lead).<P>I won the contest for the questions <I>to</I> LevelHead. ;=3<P>Funny thing was earlier this morning I thought up a couple more correct answers. ;=3<P><P>------------------
Lionkingcmsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Never Never