I know at least two Terry Pratchett fans read this forum

This is one morbidly obese Jesus that's guaranteed to brighten, not darken, your day!

Moderator: MikeLeffel

Postby Dezro on Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 pm

Pratchett-Funny is at least 90% different than DNAFunny. There are similarities. Sometimes I see him blatantly rip stuff off, but I can't recall him ripping off Mr. Adams. But then I can't really remember the first few books at all. I dunno.
Dezro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby justinpie on Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:59 pm

I'm not as familiar with Pratchett's stuff, as 90% of it is the medieval fantasy Discworld saga, which (last time I checked) has like 30 books in it, and that's far too much catchup work for me. From what I have read by him, however, he's a bit more goofy and light than DNA, which is sorta cool in a way. You're almost torn because you miss Douglas and his work terribly, but you don't want someone intentionally just trying to fake him, ya know?

Gaiman was a downhill thing for me, as I started with Good Omens, and tried Gaiman's other stories after that (also because of the "Love his lovely Sandman work what a genius he's so gushably good" folks).
Neverwhere was the familiar "modern-day Alice in Wonderland" setting that's been done to death, but you can sort of excuse it because it was just a novelization of a BBC show he wrote.
But Stardust was predictable beyond belief - you could easily tell, almost from the moment you were introduced to each character, their entire role in the story (who would fall in love with whom, who was really a traitor, etc.) because they were retread stock parts from other books and films. I kept hoping there was some bizarre plot twist at the end, but it all just kind of painted by numbers. Glarh.
It's not so bad that I'd never read his stuff again if I heard something great came around, but what I have read left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
justinpie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theangryQ on Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:19 pm

People gasp when I tell them I've never read anything by Niel Gaiman. I guess it's cause I'm sorta gothy looking. But there's a good-sized group of Gaiman geeks on campus, as well as an unusually large number of role-players, which can be really fucking annoying. I mean, fine, have your fun, but understand that to anybody who's not involved in your game, it's not interesting. Stop it.
Crime is down and, oddly enough, so is tourism.
theangryQ
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dezro on Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:56 pm

The Pratchett book was in a huge pile of other books that don't come out until next month. I looked through them a short while ago.

Jesus fuck, how many books about school shootings and Harry Potter wannabes do we really need?
Dezro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BabyJ on Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:07 pm

Have you seen my book "Let the love of God turn your excess fat
into money and talk to the dead experts of the political scene"?

It's about Teh Greatest Generation.
BabyJ
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby justinpie on Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:40 am

I tried to order it by phone but when I called the number, it was just John Ashcroft asking me a bunch of unrelated questions, and the next day my family was taken away.

I still have not received the book.
justinpie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TODCRAProductions on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:36 am

Hm, that's good to know. I think I actually might have a Pratchett book around here somewhere that someone gave me that I never read. So, when I read Good Omens, if I like it, I'll probably give that a crack, since, I figure since if GO's written well, and I know that Gaiman's a weak writer, therefore, my bet would be that TP's really good.

But I know exactly what you mean about the whole We Need Another DNA, Just As Long As He's Not Exactly Like DNA, Which Means We Need DNA Back, Goddammit thing, because I was really thinking about that when I asked about the style of humor.

But hey, Q: I'm pretty sure a lot of people were surprised about that with me, too, since I'm huge comic geek guy. So, y'know, hey. The thing with Gaiman is... at least with American Gods -- First off, I do _NOT_ get why everyone was drowning in their own froth over WHAT A COOL BOOK THIS IS AND HOW GOOD IT IS AND HOW ALL OTHER BOOKS ARE FORFEIT. Like I said before, it was a kinda neat idea, even if a not _terribly_ original one [he basically took a lot of religion and sociology papers and turned their argument into a novel illustrating same -- which.... I have to give him some credit for that, because it's not like I can think of a lot of _novels_ that were putting forth the ideas 'n' such, but the ideas themselves weren't terribly new, if that makes any sense], and he did it rather clumsily, but not _SO_ clumsily that I'd be willing to totally write him off.

Like, at some point, I'll probably at least attempt Neverwhere or Stardust or something, and probably come to the exact same conclusion Justin did. I must admit, I am a little interested in the Sandman stuff, though. Perhaps the fact that he doesn't have to write, y'know, the descriptions of actions will cut way down on the clumsyness of his prose. After all, his translation of Princess Mononoke wasn't that bad, and those were just dialogue-subtitles, so...

But, basically, I've read WAAAAY worse than Gaiman, so...

Heh, this reminds me. Speaking of Collaborations and Way Worse than Gaiman. One of my favorite authors is John T. Sladek -- he typically writes really funny Sci-fi (and apparently detective novels, which I've never read, so I don't know if they're funny, too). (also, he's not that much like DNA. He's got a tendency to be much, much darker, and not _quite_ so silly.) Anyway, though, being a big fan of his, and having read pretty much all of his Sci-Fi novels, I found a copy of "Black Alice", which he wrote with Thomas Disch, under the pseudonym of "Thom Demijohn".

For the love of god, avoid this book.

If you don't, and you're knowledgeable of Sladek, it's marginally interesting, because, erm, it's obvious that Sladek a) Was Involved, but B) Did NOT write what you're reading. Because there's a lot of.. Sladekian trappings, except that Disch _cannot_ pull them off at all. For example, one of the Sladek things is having a Whole Lot Of Surreal Stuff Going On That Ends Up Feeding Into Itself At The End And Blowing Up In An Orgy Of Hilarious Plot. But.. Black Alice... for one, it had maybe... half the things going on. And it wasn't funny, because any actual jokes made in the text were either written so much like "Ha ha! SEE! LOOK! LOOK! I'M BEING CLEVER, I'M BEING CLEVER!!!!!", but the bulk of them weren't jokes because Disch was writing Something Important About Race Relations And There Is No Room For Humor.

Then there are the scenes that were _obviously_ intended to be REALLY DARK but REALLY REALLY FUNNY, but Disch obviously went "BUT THAT'S HORRIBLE! THAT CAN'T _EVER_ BE FUNNY!" and wrote the scenes straight, so, instead of being surreal and funny, they were just.. outlandish, cruel and stupid. Really, really stupid. And didn't make a _whole_ lot of sense.

....the funny thing is, Sladek's (immediately next/immediately previous, don't remember, think next, though) book, "The Muller-Fokker Effect" sorta was like Black Alice told right.

Which makes me think that Thomas Disch is _THE_ biggest hack in the world. But I could be wrong. At any rate, reading "Black Alice" made me not only unreceptive to the prospect of ever reading a Disch solo book, but actually agitated at the fact. Considering that he ruined Sladek.
TODCRAProductions
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby justinpie on Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:08 am

One book that people have suggested to me (based on my DNA fandom) is The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde. It's supposed to be extra fun if you're familiar with classic lit. Anybody read that? I'm leery of names with two F's right next to each other.
justinpie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby terra incognita on Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:55 pm

this has been bothering me.

does justinpie mean "just in pie" or "justin pie?"
terra incognita
Keenspot Deity

Postby LCARS on Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:18 pm

terra incognita wrote:this has been bothering me.

It's actually a shortening of his name- Justin Pierce.

But I like to make-believe it's "Just In Pie"... 'Cuz pie is deelishus.
LCARS
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BabyJ on Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:28 pm

justinpie wrote:I tried to order it by phone but when I called the number, it was just John Ashcroft asking me a bunch of unrelated questions, and the next day my family was taken away.

I still have not received the book.

Noted.
BabyJ
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby justinpie on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:28 pm

Is Quidditch in it?
justinpie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby justinpie on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:30 pm

LCARS wrote:
terra incognita wrote:this has been bothering me.

It's actually a shortening of his name- Justin Pierce.

But I like to make-believe it's "Just In Pie"... 'Cuz pie is deelishus.

LCARS is too right.

Too too right...

One day I will get a shepherd's pie named after me, with real shepherds in it. And it will be on the Dollar Menu, so people will buy seven because they save money that way.
justinpie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby El SillY on Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:01 pm

Pie is an endangered species, handle pie with care.
Cheese can be your special friend.
El SillY
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BabyJ on Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:46 pm

I once found an injured pie by the road. My wife Melissa and I
took it to the Pie Care Center in Doubenkirk and together with
June and Ben we nursed the pie back to good health.

It then came time for us to bring the pie back into the wild. Melissa
had more bravery about this than me. I wept with joy when we
released the pie. It landed on a nearby fence, looked at us one
last time, and flew away.

We had tagged the pie to see where it went and how it handled
itself after being in captivity for so long. It went right into a
clowns face and we buried it the next day. At least it knew
love and warmth for a short while.

The pie went on killing other clowns.
BabyJ
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TODCRAProductions on Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:03 pm