What is the appeal of Fur?

The cat is where it's at.

Moderator: genecatlow

What is the appeal of Fur?

Postby Josheb2037 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:12 am

Hello all.

I've got a question that has been bugging me for a very long time. What is the appeal of Fur? I know a few furs in RL (One is an Otter, one's a cat, One's a lemur) and they can't explain thier obsession coherently. I can tell there's a great deal of emotion involved, and I don't write this intending to offend. I simply don't understand the appeal of the entire fur community.

I've done my research. I know about anthro-con and I've read hundreds of fur comics and stories. (The Class Menagerie and Gene Catlow are right there at the top of my list) I've read the naysayers who claim furs are perverts who want to be intimate with animals. Yiffing and the comic site Supermegatopia aside, that's simply not true of a majority of the material I've come into contact with.

So what is the appeal of fur? I'd love to hear a few coherent arguments and I'm even open to weblinks tohat would help.

Thanks
Ask me about the Pallaton Universe
Josheb2037
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Brian on Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:20 pm

"Furry" isn't something easy to explain. I think one of the biggest factors into it is the fact our generation has grown up with a virtual slew of anthromorphic cartoons. Firstly we had the old Looney Toons rerunning on several stations, secondly we had the Disney Afternoon, which was nothing but Anthromophic toons. As we we became adults, the appeal of furry characters remained but our tastes changed. This resulted in the invention of more "adult" furry content. Yeah, some folks find furry characters sexual, which may seem strange, but when you get down to it it's not wanting to have sex with animals, it's being attracted to people with animal characteristics.

Granted, some people take things like furry role playing a little further than may seem healthy, but that's true of any sect of fandom. People may point their fingers and folks wearing furtsuits and cry "Look at the freaks" but then we have Trekers dressed in perfect derpcounterfeits Klingon unifroms and Star Wars fans changing their names to Obiwan Kinobi. Every group has its extremists, they don't represent the fandom as a whole, and they really aren't harming anyone either.
Brian
Keenspot Despot

Postby IceSniper on Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:41 am

Well put brian. I may be a sinfester, but...no I'm just a sinfester who happens to find Anthropomorphic art cool.
IceSniper
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ebenezum on Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:36 pm

I see you took my suggestion about the boobs sniper.
The Sinfest Award Winner For Extreme Patience With The Opposite Sex While Consoling Them!!!
Ebenezum
Keenspot Despot

Postby IceSniper on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:04 pm

*Twidles fingers like Mr. Burns.*

Excellent.
IceSniper
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Gene Catlow