Postby Ekim on Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:41 pm

Were would they find any of Walky's i wonder ... hmmmm ... :D
God made me an atheist .

[My landmass erupts with kittens !]

yadumey wrote:I live at home :gonk:
Ekim
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkBryy on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:03 pm

.... dear lord... funniest and most disturbing plot twist in one....
http://leftyfilms.com - i tend to make films with a camera.
DarkBryy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Iron Cross on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:38 pm

By all technicality, not even Joyce should be able to provide the needed fluids, since sperm have only half of the DNA strand, but since this is all sci-fi stuff, I'm sure the resurrection thingymabobber is probably capapble of correctly reassigning the other half of the DNA strand.

Otherwise, you'll probably end up with Walky taking over the body of Joyce and his child.

Not like any of you care, since you probably come to comics and forums like these to get away from science and school and such, but hey, there's never a bad time to brush somebody up on their biology.
[ Feed the Pedants ]
Iron Cross
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:59 pm

Iron Cross wrote:By all technicality, not even Joyce should be able to provide the needed fluids, since sperm have only half of the DNA strand, but since this is all sci-fi stuff, I'm sure the resurrection thingymabobber is probably capapble of correctly reassigning the other half of the DNA strand.

One sperm, no. But the typical male ejaculates millions of the things at a time, and once you add together all the chromosomes from millions of sperm,it's almost certain that you've got a complete genetic picture of the original sperm donor.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ringading on Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:27 pm

'Twas amusing, but I kind of hope that they can't bring Walky back. Disappearing the martians and then just resurrecting everyone would reduce the impact of what they all just went through, and what we all just read.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ekim on Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:45 pm

Marcos wrote:
Iron Cross wrote:By all technicality, not even Joyce should be able to provide the needed fluids, since sperm have only half of the DNA strand, but since this is all sci-fi stuff, I'm sure the resurrection thingymabobber is probably capapble of correctly reassigning the other half of the DNA strand.

One sperm, no. But the typical male ejaculates millions of the things at a time, and once you add together all the chromosomes from millions of sperm,it's almost certain that you've got a complete genetic picture of the original sperm donor.

And who said anything about Joyce ? They used condoms didn't they ?

P.S. She is embarrassed becose they will find out that her and Walky did PMHP not becose they will have to probe her (wich they will not doo ... sorry pervs) .
God made me an atheist .

Ekim
Keenspot Despot

Postby Iron Cross on Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:01 am

Marcos wrote:One sperm, no. But the typical male ejaculates millions of the things at a time, and once you add together all the chromosomes from millions of sperm,it's almost certain that you've got a complete genetic picture of the original sperm donor.

And who's going to put those millions of chromosomes together in the right order? Then again, maybe as the cheese, Walky has that kind of omniscient knowledge.
[ Feed the Pedants ]
Iron Cross
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Grez on Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:13 am

Iron Cross wrote:
Marcos wrote:One sperm, no. But the typical male ejaculates millions of the things at a time, and once you add together all the chromosomes from millions of sperm,it's almost certain that you've got a complete genetic picture of the original sperm donor.

And who's going to put those millions of chromosomes together in the right order? Then again, maybe as the cheese, Walky has that kind of omniscient knowledge.

Well, if the human body is able to put them in right order in fertilization, I'm sure a thing that can generate full grown people from DNA samples could do the same.

I wonder how many genes walky has, as regular human without martian DNA has roughly 24000 genes. Maybe walky has the martian DNA inside regular human genes, and the amount isn't higher. So yes, I'd agree that with couple of millions of "half samples" of those genes, there's a pretty good chance of there being one or more of both halves of genes from each pair.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the order of genes (sort of which of the pairs is the left and which is right) does not matter.

I'd say that if we can assume that the genes are split to sperm completely randomly, then the probablity of both halves of each gene existing with x number of samples and y number of genes would be:
((2^(x-1)-1)/2^(x-1))^y
Grez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bahamut885 on Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:27 am

Ok, screw the science and all that. That has to be the funniest joyce face we've seen for a long time. All in favor, say aye!
Bahamut885
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ekim on Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:46 am

Aye aye mon capitain. :)
God made me an atheist .

Ekim
Keenspot Despot

Postby Iron Cross on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:16 am

Well, science isn't my strong point, so I'll leave it at what everyone else has said.

But what about if you had multiple samples of the same person put into a ressurection chamber? Like if some people got blown to bits, and there were multiple (unidentifiable) pieces of multiple people, and one person had two or more of their samples put in, then what would happen?
Would their soul get split? Would it end up like the Joyce/AntiJoyce? Would only one of the copies work?
[ Feed the Pedants ]
Iron Cross
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby svenman on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:35 pm

Ekim wrote:And who said anything about Joyce ? They used condoms didn't they ?

Yes they did. Family-less sized pack.
Ekim wrote:P.S. She is embarrassed becose they will find out that her and Walky did PMHP not becose they will have to probe her (wich they will not doo ... sorry pervs) .

I'd say she's embarrassed because she'll have to admit that she kept a sperm-filled condom of Walky's around as a souvenir.

EDIT: I just saw someone had had virtually the same idea on the Nightstar forum. I thought of it independently before I read that, honest!
svenman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bugstomper on Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:35 pm

Marcos wrote:once you add together all the chromosomes from millions

It's not even adding, it's exponential. One sperm cell has 23 chromosomes with half his genes. Add one more cell and for each gene there is a 1/2 probability that you have found its second one. That comes out to only a one in 2^23 probability of getting all 23 second halves in the second sperm cell, but that number changes rapidly as you add more cells.

If any genes are still missing, add another sperm cell and for each gene that is still missing there is a 1/2 probability that you have it. There is a 1/(2^n) chance of getting the same gene of a pair in n successive cells. That means that there is only about one chance in a trillion trillion of not having an example of every gene pair in a collection of just 80 sperm cells. Even just thousands of cells would be way more than enough.

(later edit) Eh, I messed up, I didn't take into account the probability that genes swap between chromosomes during meiosis. So you have to base the probabilities on the number of genes (~40,000) instead of the number of chromosome pairs (23). But worst case would be taken care of by multiplying the number of sperm cells by log2(number of genes), which is less than 16. That still means that even 80 x 16 which is less than two thousand cells has a less than 1 in trillion trillion chance of missing any genes.
bugstomper
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ringading on Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:43 pm

Ekim wrote:P.S. She is embarrassed becose they will find out that her and Walky did PMHP not becose they will have to probe her (wich they will not doo ... sorry pervs) .

For one shocking moment as I scrolled down to see the entirety of the 19/10 comic, I thought it was going to depict Joyce digging for stray genes.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby moraff on Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:34 pm

*coughs* Ahem, didn't Sal in say something that may allude to the fact that Mike could have been ressurrected too?

Just pointing that out.

Yep, pretty sure Sal made some mention of bodily fluids...

any who, that's the only reason why I even signed up, was to mention that.

So, yeah, Sal can live with that too on her conscience. = )
moraff
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Animaniac on Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:54 am

I'm just waiting for Walky's brain and spinal cord to show up in the Logo up top 8)
Animaniac
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fluid on Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:40 am

What if the body being rebuilt actually turns out to be another Joyce? Hilarious plot twists are certain to ensue! :wink:
Fluid
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ekim on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:44 am

At this rate its going to be 2017 till they all get to walk again .
God made me an atheist .

Ekim
Keenspot Despot

Postby X-BoB58 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:54 am

there is no way that Walky is the ONLY one that they could provide the necasary DNA for. Do DNA on Blood, Skin fragments and hair on the battlefield. evan an old sock should be able to provide the necasary DNA
X-BoB58
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ringading on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:48 am

Joe said that Martians were pretty good at completely destroying their victims, a habit they probably developed after they gained the technology for resurrection. Not everybody was killed by Martians, but for those that were I doubt it's practical collecting a bundle of stray hairs in the SEMME complex and randomly trying to resurrect people.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby shmoo on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:23 pm

Come on. Are you telling me that SEMME didn't keep DNA samples of every one of its agents on file somewhere? That's almost as ludicrous as the idea that they'd let Jason go out on missions without *first* subjecting him to an extensive background check.

Oh, wait...
shmoo
Junior Keenspotter

Postby X-BoB58 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:07 pm

the Docters office even has DNA Samples
X-BoB58
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:47 pm

shmoo wrote:Come on. Are you telling me that SEMME didn't keep DNA samples of every one of its agents on file somewhere? That's almost as ludicrous as the idea that they'd let Jason go out on missions without *first* subjecting him to an extensive background check.

Oh, wait...

Problem is SEMME is decomishioned, and all their crap scattered or destroyed. Finding the samples would take forever.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nyerguds on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:48 am

Eeh... it's probably not the sperm they need... IIRC the FLUIDS they're protected in contain his complete DNA. After all a drop of saliva is already enough for a DNA scan.
What's the problem when it's all right?
There's nothing left!

Nocturn wrote:Screw all that "We used to like it and hope it gets better!" bullshit. We're a snarky bunch and Dominic Deegan is the perfect snarking material.
Nyerguds
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Digital Dawg on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:35 pm

uuuh guys... may i remind you that Walky lost an arm when his mech crashed? and the mech didnt explode or anything... and then there's the blood from his arm that was all over Joyce...

an entire arm and a load of blood is plenty to get a decent DNA sample :P
Digital Dawg
Junior Keenspotter

Return to It's Walky!