Roomies Book Collection

It's MEN IN BLACK meets DAWSON'S CREEK!

Moderator: Walky

Postby All-Purpose Guru on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:11 pm

Walky wrote:I'd certainly like to do a second book, but that's all depending on how well this book does, I'd imagine. I'd like a hypothetical IW! collection to start at the beginning of IW! and go until the Fifth Anniversary strip.

I'll buy 'em all. Is this going through Plan 9 or through somewhere else?

--apg
--apg

"Once you accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid becomes easy." --Albert Einstein
All-Purpose Guru
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Walky on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:30 pm

Through Keenspot. I've seen their Wendy and Wandering Ones collections, and they're top-notch. They might even be as great as the Melonpool collections. (Melonpool collections are hardcore.)
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby Symok on Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:51 pm

Bummer about the comics, but I have to agree with the others that a single book colection is going to be a lot better.

Won't it be pretty thick, though, having three full years of strips? Unless of course their smaller or the book is extra tall/wide (I hope not)

I'll certainly buy one eventually, despite the exchange rate.
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Walky on Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:59 pm

Well, year one, including all the original comic book stories in Roomies #1-4, takes up 72 pages. (I've got that much laid out so far in Pagemaker.)

Beyond that, we'll see. I want to cram in as much as I can, really.
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby GlitterFey on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:09 pm

Most of the graphic novel TPBs I have run around 200 pages, with some of them running closer to 300 without being significantly thicker.
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby Walky on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:38 pm

Took a screenshot of a random page while I've been putting this thing together. I'm at the point where I have to finish up the end of some original stories before I go on any further, so I'm at a layout impasse for the moment. Currently at page 109, ending up where Roomies #5 would have ended.

As you can see, I've been adding little sidebars of commentary where appropriate. I want to put four strips per page, but I also want to be able to talk about the strips I want to, so this has been a compromise.
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby Corden_the_warrior on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:42 pm

spiffy! i want one! *checks his bank account* aww dammit! forgot i bought x-mas presents fer friends... blast! oh well... *sits back and waits for x-mas and b-day money*
It's only until we have lost everything, are we truely free to do anything -Fight Club

*ook*
Corden_the_warrior
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Walky on Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:07 pm

Don't worry, Cordon. The book won't be done for a long while. I've still got about 30 pages to draw, 30 Sundays to recolor, all the dailies in between to rescan, and the time to put the rest of it together.

Also, something I forgot to mention with my previous post. Despite the graphic, the TPB will not be in color. I'm just not bothering to grayscale the color images that I'm using.
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:56 pm

One thing I noticed about the Keenspot comic books is all of the commentary & footnotes. I'm not sure that was such a good idea...cure it makes the pamphlets a little more attractive to long-time fans, but I think it may have been off-putting to potential new readers. There's nothing quite like having a punchline spelled out for you, or an artist making excuses for failings that you otherwise wouldn't have noticed, to diminish enjoyment.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Walky on Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:27 am

That's why I've always been sorta lukewarm with commentary. The problem is, I get lots of demand here and there for *more* of it. But, yes, as you said, I don't want to spell out punchlines. I'd rather have as uninterrupted a reading experience as possible. So far in the Roomies! collection, I have sidebars that give little quirky tales or remarks on new characters as they appear, and on inside jokes that were Indiana University-related that make the comic understandable. (Yeah, like anyone who reads Roomies! now knows what "Doog and Blair" was.) I'm finding I can fit most of the comments I'd make about the strips themselves into a more generalized singular article at the beginning of each of the years. In the original Roomies! comic books, all the strips you see on my screengrab had individual notes. Note they're mostly gone now...
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dragontear on Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:26 pm

packy wrote:
Chief_Petty_Officer_Klerk wrote:
Dragontear wrote:damn you and your strong american dollar!
could be worse dragontear, you could have to work with the Aussie dollar which is worth about .56 US cents!

Whoa! Just over half a cent US for a whole AU dollar? Damn, where do you exchange your money? I want in on that deal!

Hey, Dragontear, you'll be glad to know that there are some folks making noises that North America should follow the lead of the EU and not just have a free trade agreement, but a unified currency.

But then, who'd want to have to use Ameros?

I dun care what it's called so long as it's colourful and it makes it easier to buy american products such as future IW stuff, model horses, more model horses, and some aquarium supplies...and then some more model horses!

geee..wonder what MY interests are? :roll:
<b>current status: sad</b><br>...Pleco beat up rosy and she didn't make it.<br>sux major a$$<br>
*whimper*
Dragontear
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TJMD on Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:18 am

I keep telling myself I'ma order Roomies #1-4. Now it seems I can just wait for the TPB. Woo! Also gives me more money to put towards Botcon... WOO!
TiJJy MiD
TJMD
Junior Keenspotter

Postby All-Purpose Guru on Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:16 pm

Dragontear wrote:
packy wrote:Whoa! Just over half a cent US for a whole AU dollar? Damn, where do you exchange your money? I want in on that deal!

Hey, Dragontear, you'll be glad to know that there are some folks making noises that North America should follow the lead of the EU and not just have a free trade agreement, but a unified currency.

But then, who'd want to have to use Ameros?

I dun care what it's called so long as it's colourful and it makes it easier to buy american products...

Naah, we have to make it out of a single size of paper, with only two easily-duplicatable colors, and security features 20 years behind the times.

Check out the old Netherlands currency. The coins are engraved with a line pattern that allows blind people to tell how much the money is worth by feel.

Or any currency designed in the last 5 years. We're completely behind the times, with $250 copiers capable of duplicating currency so well you can pass it at a bank.
--apg

"Once you accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid becomes easy." --Albert Einstein
All-Purpose Guru
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ratboy on Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:20 pm

Woohoo! I'm definitely gonna buy this book!
Why not in color? Too expensive? Obviously the majority of it really doesn't need to be... But what about doing a section of a couple pages with color?
Ratboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Walky on Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:32 pm

Ratboy wrote:Woohoo! I'm definitely gonna buy this book!
Why not in color? Too expensive? Obviously the majority of it really doesn't need to be... But what about doing a section of a couple pages with color?

Yes, expensive. Regarding a section of pages, knowing what little I do about the printing process, they'd probably all have to be in one section, and I don't think anyone wants all the Sundays out of order, complied into the middle of the book.
Walky
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:39 pm

Walky wrote:That's why I've always been sorta lukewarm with commentary. The problem is, I get lots of demand here and there for *more* of it.

Oh, yes. That's the best part for some of us. The insight into the creative process. We're the type of people who won't buy the DVD unless it has documentaries, outtakes, and at least one good commentary track.

But, yes, as you said, I don't want to spell out punchlines. I'd rather have as uninterrupted a reading experience as possible. So far in the Roomies! collection, I have sidebars that give little quirky tales or remarks on new characters as they appear, and on inside jokes that were Indiana University-related that make the comic understandable. (Yeah, like anyone who reads Roomies! now knows what "Doog and Blair" was.) I'm finding I can fit most of the comments I'd make about the strips themselves into a more generalized singular article at the beginning of each of the years. In the original Roomies! comic books, all the strips you see on my screengrab had individual notes. Note they're mostly gone now...

That's sad. :( If people don't want the extra bits because they would "spoil the magic" then they don't have to read them! More is better! Please feel free to write little quips and notes in the space between strips if you feel like it. Some of like to look backstage and see how everything is held together with duct tape and twist ties. It only makes the seamless appearance of the final product more impressive.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KittKat on Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:47 am

I think i'm just the opposite than you, bunnythor. I can't watch outtakes on DVDs if they have commentary. It's just annoying. I'm also picky about "Live" CDs. I don't like the clapping or a lot of talking, if I wanted that i'd go to a concert. I buy a CD just for the music, not for the other noise. Although there are one or two CDs which I like so much I just try my best to ignore all the clapping at the end. :)
~** KittKat **~
OOhh!! Teady Bear!!
Wow, what a BiG Flashlight!!
KittKat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cholma on Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:22 am

I'll have to go with the Rabbit of Thunder on this debate. I'm a real behind-the-scenes guy. DVDs without Commentary, Deleted Scenes and/or Making-of selections are a real waste of the format. Discs 3&4 of LoTR:FoTR? 6.5 hours of heaven for me. (Disc 5 is just about Tolkien himself and not the movie)

I loved the comments in Roomies 1-4. (Hey! They're Collector's Items now!) and the same for the Penny Arcade book. I do understand that everyone has different tastes though. Oh well. I guess we need one of those "magic ink" hint book-type entries by each comic. "highlight this box with your magic ink marker for exciting comments by the author!" ;)
Cholma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby All-Purpose Guru on Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:57 pm

Cholma wrote:I'll have to go with the Rabbit of Thunder on this debate.

I gotta agree. One of the things that got me to buy the comic books was the added commentary. I also felt that it was exceedingly well done in the comic books.

To some extent, it's spoiled me. I have many comic compilations, and I gotta say that the ones that are just a pile of comics (Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County) kind of leave me cold now. I really wish I had some of the insight into the storyline that David supplies.

As an aside-- David, are you going to be selling signed copies?
--apg

All-Purpose Guru
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:59 pm

The thing is, commentary is cool for people who are already familiar with the comic. It makes current fans more likely to buy the print comics.

However, for people who *aren't* already familiar with the comic, commentary is a distraction. You don't rent DVDs of movies you haven't seen, and watch it the first time ever with the Director's Commentary track, do you? And part of the point of publishing and selling to comic shops is to widen the audience...which doesn't work if you're putting out a product designed just for your existing fanbase. Instead of adding people who frequent comic shops to your readership, you end up limiting the sales of the comic just to rabid fans who also go to comic shops.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby GlitterFey on Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:31 pm

You could always split the difference. I've seen many that have commentary in the front of each section, instead of under each comic. And if its light enough I think it works okay with it on the print pages. I think the problem is that its online. There are Calvin & Hobbes books without commentary that I'll whip through, and then he's got the one compilation with all kinds of commentary. Willis is just getting one book here, since the comics are "printed" online. I kinda want a TPB that I can read through like a manga, but I'm really curious about what Willis has to say.

I'm so torn!!!!
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby kobayashi maru on Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:59 pm

KittKat wrote:I can't watch outtakes on DVDs if they have commentary. It's just annoying. I'm also picky about "Live" CDs. I don't like the clapping or a lot of talking, if I wanted that i'd go to a concert. I buy a CD just for the music, not for the other noise. Although there are one or two CDs which I like so much I just try my best to ignore all the clapping at the end. :)

Me too, I despise most "live" music CDs, although I believe when I picked up Spaceballs on DVD I watched it with the commentary on (FYI, its the commentary from the laserdisc version). There are only a couple of songs on my play list that are live, simply because its the only version available.

Back on topic, I want Roomies! with commentary. Little notes every dozen pages like what DW had in the sample would be nice and I can just skip over them whenever I read the book again. Setting the commentary to "lukewarm" sounds good to me. If we have any detailed questions, we know where your webpage is anyway.

Since Glitter brought up the last Calvin & Hobbes with commentary, will the Roomies! book have intro pages detailing the cast/strip/etc?
kobayashi maru
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Willy13 on Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:36 am

Does anyone know if the comics are available here in the UK? (Or, indeed, if the book will be?) I have only been a lurker for about a week, but already I want to go out and spend my hard-earned cash on what appears to be an amazing comic! 8)
Willy13
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Symok on Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:59 pm

bunnyThor wrote:
Walky wrote:That's why I've always been sorta lukewarm with commentary. The problem is, I get lots of demand here and there for *more* of it.

Oh, yes. That's the best part for some of us. The insight into the creative process. We're the type of people who won't buy the DVD unless it has documentaries, outtakes, and at least one good commentary track.

But, yes, as you said, I don't want to spell out punchlines. I'd rather have as uninterrupted a reading experience as possible. So far in the Roomies! collection, I have sidebars that give little quirky tales or remarks on new characters as they appear, and on inside jokes that were Indiana University-related that make the comic understandable. (Yeah, like anyone who reads Roomies! now knows what "Doog and Blair" was.) I'm finding I can fit most of the comments I'd make about the strips themselves into a more generalized singular article at the beginning of each of the years. In the original Roomies! comic books, all the strips you see on my screengrab had individual notes. Note they're mostly gone now...

That's sad. :( If people don't want the extra bits because they would "spoil the magic" then they don't have to read them! More is better! Please feel free to write little quips and notes in the space between strips if you feel like it. Some of like to look backstage and see how everything is held together with duct tape and twist ties. It only makes the seamless appearance of the final product more impressive.

Agreed on all counts. Coments are t3h r0x0r.

Question: Is printing of the original books going to be stoped (or has it been?) or will they be available for order aswell? (if the complilation is going to have less comentary, I might be tempted enough to buy the comics just for that..)
Symok
Keenspot Despot

Postby kobayashi maru on Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:09 am

Willy13 wrote:Does anyone know if the comics are available here in the UK? (Or, indeed, if the book will be?) I have only been a lurker for about a week, but already I want to go out and spend my hard-earned cash on what appears to be an amazing comic! 8)

I'm sure DW will appreciate that. I have no idea how Keenspot handles international orders. You might want to start a new thread, I don't think many people pay attention to these sticky ones anymore.

Symok wrote:Question: Is printing of the original books going to be stoped (or has it been?) or will they be available for order aswell? (if the complilation is going to have less comentary, I might be tempted enough to buy the comics just for that..)

I believe the original comics of Roomies! were stopped, but DW is working on the book for some time in the future. In another post, he mentioned that there were still comics available if you wanted them. I'd ask him again how many there are now and what the commentary in the new book will be like if you're really interested.
kobayashi maru
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to It's Walky!