Convention Season

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Convention Season

Postby zodo on Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:38 pm

Summer convention season is starting (if it hasn't already started for some of you). Tomorrow I leave for Origins. As was suggested last summer, I'm going to put PIQE on my badge, so anyone else who's a member of KOJ can meet and greet. (I'll also be going to GenCon in July, then Pentacon and MFF in November)

Have good summer, and hope to see some of y'all around.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:47 pm

Hmph. How unfortunate. There may be people from my group, U*CON, attending Origins, (in fact, I'm sure of it!) but I will not. Unfortunately. And none of them know anything about a PIQE'd badge. I'd still say, if you find someone from the U*CON crew, say hi to them.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby zodo on Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:44 pm

I didn't see anyone from U*CON, but I did have one person ask me what PIQE means. :)

So, is anyone going to be at GenCon?

What does everyone think about making something like a business card for people in the order, to explain what the order is. Sometimes it's easier to hand someone a small card (with the web addresses on it, of course) than to explain what we're about verbally.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:03 pm

You know, that's not a half-bad idea. There are plenty of free business card sites out there, although that means we couldn't do much in the way of customizations unless we actually paid for it. It would be interesting to carry a few PIQE cards in our wallets/purses, wouldn't it?

Care to collaborate on this one, Zodo?
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby zodo on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:05 pm

I wouldn't mind at all.

The idea I have in mind is to have a generic card, so that all Knights and Companions can get them. Put the Order's coat of Arms to the left, and a brief explanation of PIQE and the Order of Jubal in text to the right. I'm by no means a genius when it comes to art and layout, but I can maybe put together a prototype in photoshop.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:42 pm

Perhaps the explanation should be on the back of the card. On the front, PIQE, coat of arms, website.

If possible, if they want to be personalized for Knights or Companions, that can probably be added to the generic card with a minimum of fuss (and the expense being charged to the one that wants 'em that way.)
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby zodo on Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:58 pm

OK, here are some quick and dirty prototypes. If someone wants to put their name on it, it can be on the lower right of the front side. You can click on the images to see huger versions of them. I glommed the text on the back directly from the ivbalis.org site. That seemed to describe things as well as I ever could. :)

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:41 pm

For protoypes, (and maybe for final copies) those will do extremely well. We likes them a lot! Nice Frodoshopping.

I think the only thing we might consider is coloration in the final mockups.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby zodo on Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:54 pm

What do you mean by coloration? Color for background? That would be handled by selecting the color of card we print on. Or do you mean different color text? That may run more expensive. I haven't shopped out yet, to see what costs would be. First places I'll look will be Kinkos, and the University printing services... but I'm not going to be able to do that until next week, since I'm going out of town.

I have the cards as psd and jpg, and can print them out on a color printer, depending on what the printing company will need for these.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:38 am

That's what I meant, coloration of background for whatever cards decide to be made. That may require different colored inks for the text. I trust you'll choose wisely.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Greg on Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:29 am

I've been toying with a similar idea for a while now.

However, for people whom have access to a colour printer, you may want to investigae Avery L7415 labels.

There business cards, 10 to an (A4) page, but for those Americans amongst us, I'm sure there's a US Letter equivalent.

You can just print 'em off as needed.
-------------
Sir Gregory of Melbourne, KCI
Knight of the Order of Jubal
"What I tell you three times is true..." - The Bellman
Greg
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Buisness Cards (was convention)

Postby Josh the Aspie on Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:42 am

Sounds like a great I idea. We may want to look into that. Also, on the prototype, for a modification to allow the knight's name and title, you could probably lift the right side text up by one line, thus allowing the knight's name and title to seem more like they 'belong' on the card, and also be level with the site url.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby zodo on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:40 pm

I did play around with it, and found that when I set it up like that, but didn't have a name, it left a glaring whitespace on the bottom of the card. As it is now, there is room for a name.

I have the cards in .psd form still, so I can just move the whole block of text if necessary. I don't know how many people are going to want their names on the cards, and how many will want generics. I still have to get out and do that pricing, which I'm planning on doing either tomorrow or friday. I am pretty sure that it will be more expensive to get them with names on them, since those will most likely be done in smaller batches than the generics.

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty version of one with a name on it. Should I use a different font for the name? Note, I didn't move any of the other text at all.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:26 pm

A shift in font would be an interesting thing. Perhaps leave the unmarked version if someone wants to test their calligraphic skills.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Back on topic.

Postby zodo on Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:16 pm

GenCon is coming up this week? Anybody going to be there besides me?

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:10 pm

Again, posibly U*CON people going, but not myself. Good place to test out business cards if you have them...
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby zodo on Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:19 pm

Yeah, it would be a great place to test them, but my cash has been really thin the past couple weeks, so I haven't been able to afford going out to get a test run done. (Tomorrow is pay day, and also the day I leave for GenCon, which will also suck out my cash)

I will probably be able to get the first batch made up in about two weeks.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BandMan2K on Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:00 am

I think it's amazing how the main thought about cons got thrown offtrack for a while with business cards...but then that's part of the fun isn't it?

Hi everybody! Sorry it's been so long since I've been in here but now that I've got my main priorities straight, I'm back in the game!

As for cons, I went to ACEN back in May and I'm getting set up for going to SugoiCon in Cincinnatti this November.
Sir Howard S., KI
Order of the Knights of Jubal
PIQE
Cauca fides est hostis veritatis
(Blind Faith is the Enemy of Truth)
BandMan2K
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby zodo on Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:15 pm

I didn't see anyone else with a PIQE at GenCon, and nobody asked me about it. My next convention is also in November, at PentaCon in Fort Wayne. Also in November is the Midwest FurFest, where I'll be going to help run the gaming room on behalf of Sanguine Productions.

I should be able to get a batch of a few hundred generic cards made within a month. (finances are tight after the cons I went to) When they are, I can let people on these forums know they're available.

-Zodo, CI
zodo
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal