Looking for some advice on what to do.

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Looking for some advice on what to do.

Postby Josh the Aspie on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:50 am

Online Politics. Blick.

I have two online friends, each of whom runs an online role-playing chat-room that I belong too.

There is a third party... who got banned from one of these rooms, and is hate-mongering, trying to get the room to loose enough of it's member base that it just fizzles.

The host of that room in danger (the party of the first part) suspects my other friend (the party of the second part)... who is also friends with this third party... of actualy participating in the hate-mongering.

The friend who has been accused (party of the second part) has expressed a deep dislike for those being hate mongered against in private to me, not always in polite terms... but usualy either because she needed to vent, or as an explination for why she is taking an action (like starting her own chat room).

The accusing friend (party of the first part) has asked me to save a copy of any -public- post she makes degrading the room. I have already informed her strictly that private communications will not be copied... but that I'll think about the public ones. She has thanked me for even considering it, and says there will be no hard feelings if I don't.

I don't know what to do here. I greatly dislike hate-mongering, and I don't want the room to loose it's user-base. However I also don't want to betray a trust. What is my dubty in a circumstance like this?

*sighs* Boy, that sounds alot like a cross between a dear abby letter, and a legal doccument. All I need is a state of being to sign my name as.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:06 pm

*Falls over*

Okay, I've been in this situation myself, and it is not pretty. You need to find a way to get the two sides together, and try to get them thinking with their heads instead of their emotions, but that can be difficult. Get them to realize, if you can, that the hatemongering has to be stopped and the individual responsible needs to be stopped as well.

It won't be much fun, but that is the best I can do.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Josh the Aspie on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:00 am

Hopefully this situation has (mostly) resolved it's self. The accused has basicaly said she hoped the third party succeded... but would not help him do so. I wait on baited breath.

I have tried to get the two together before... but there is bad blood between them pre-dating me, and they don't wish to speak about it.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:35 am

Um... must ask one clarification. This third-party is the only one confirmed doing flames and trolling and such, correct? And that first party suspects second party of sympathy and/or collusion, but has no evidence?
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh the Aspie on Thu May 01, 2003 2:51 am

Yes, the second party has confirmed sympathies, but has denied collusion. The third party is pritty much a given. This third party has also threated the physical safty of the first party and another administrator in the room.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Thu May 01, 2003 6:13 am

Then do as you promised. Check for public postings and privately try to reconcile the two (or three, however many it need be.)
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Josh the Aspie on Thu May 08, 2003 3:32 am

I have yet to make any such promise, only one to consider what I felt I should do. But I do beleive I will look for such.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Public postings are public

Postby pawnman on Wed May 28, 2003 8:42 am

1. Public postings are just that: public. Anyone can see them. While I understand your hesistance to step into the middle of this situation, I also see nothing wrong with grabbing public posts and forwarding them on. I know you feel like you're dividing loyalties, and the decision is yours to make. I'm just saying that there is no dishonor in forwarding the posts.

2. If they are public posts, why doesn't your friend get copies his/herself? What keeps your friend (the first party) from getting the posts without your help?

Just some thoughts. I'm not sure how your friends can resolve this, but it is clear to me that the third-party is bad news all the way around. That person is harming not only the first party, but also all of the first party's "customers" with the flaming of the website. I'm inclined to say that if the second party is expressing gratitude and sympathy, then they aren't really nice either. I admit, I don't have all the facts, but an honorable person would just make a clean break and not have contact with someone they dislike so much.
Remember always the Rede: Harm None. Remember always the threefold rule.
pawnman
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Josh the Aspie on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:58 pm

Well, this point may have become even more moot. The party of the first part has recently had to relocate, and because of this has not been able to come online much. A combination of this, and the opening of the new room with present managment able to handle character aplications and plot... has caused the origonal room to come to the brink of death, with just a few chatters role-playing there.

And as to weither the party of the second part is a nice person or not... she feels very strongly agaisnt the party of the first part due to an altercation in the're shared past. However she refuses to move against or for the party of the first part. I'm not sure if this makes her a nice person or not.

Thanks for the advice given thus far.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal