The New McCarthyism

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

The New McCarthyism

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:22 pm

In light of recent events, I must ask if we are not living in a new McCarthyism.

All that need be done is replace "Communist" with "terrorist," and "Joseph McCarthy" with "John Ashcroft." More and more, I have found myself questioning the methods used by politicians in the hopes of weeding out terror cells.

The sad part is, it is not the first time this has happened in the last 100 years. Examples:

The Red Scare of the 1920's, the imprisonment of the Japanese in internment camps in WWII, the Black Lists made infamous by McCarthy...has history taught nothing?

I realize I may catch some flack for what I have said, but I seek your advice on the subject.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:41 am

Actually, that's a sound point, and probably one that the ACLU would tahnk you for making. I agree that we're hinging between creating an entire class of "undesirables" and labeling them as terrorists and snapping out of it and continuing as normal, maybe with a few new precautions added. So this could be the new McCarthyism.

It all depends on what our darkened leader decides to do next.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dafodarian on Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:29 am

Your pardon... What is McCarthyism? Are we talking about the sequence of purge & pogrom at the height of the anti-communist times in america (Not a section of foreign history I've really examined in detail, recently)?

If so, then I fear the answer may be a yes. Look on the bright side... At least it's your own leader's choice, rather than someone else's.

And did you know? Because I'm over eighteen and can't produce a passport at the drop of a hat, I'm having quite the time of it, trying to open a bank account...

I'll stop sounding bitter now, before the thought police decide that I'm obviously a dissident element, and demand my extradition for trial. Or give my name to Interpol as a dangerous E-Terrorist, or something. :evil:
No, I'm normal, I tell you... Normal, I say!!

Pat - CI in the order of the Knights of Jubal
Dafodarian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:23 am

Mc
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:19 pm

[quote="Silver Adept"]Mc
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:56 am

Is this a recommendation or a warning, Kanaeda?

Because it could be interpreted as one or the other, depending on what side of the debate you come down on.

Just wanting to make sure that you're not going to be misquoted.

(And what do the ambivalent do to express their opinions about this War on Terror?)
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:00 pm

It is merely a recommendation. It is the best thing that can be done at the moment. Certainly such legislation should have never made it past the initial draft, but for the fears of those in power.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:43 am

As a suggestion, not intended to be perjorative in any way...

There's already a rather healthy discussion on Bush's motives and the war in Iraq on the CotC boards. I don't want possible spillage over here, (as some of the opinions expressed there have been quite hostile and one or tw ohas been ad hominem) not that I say that EI is incapable of civil discussion, but it would be repeating things.

Either that or I'm splitting hairs, trying to keep a topic that is primarily domestically centered (McCarthyism's revival) from becoming mixed with a larger international issue. (Iraqi War)

Either way, I think the thrust of this topic was to discuss new "security measures" being forced on the American people and how much easier it is now for someone to finger someone (or a group of someones) that are unpopular as terrorists or un-American in some way.

This has been an Attempted Clarification. Thank you for reading.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Coureton on Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:05 am

The thing that bothers me most is that much of the population doesn't realise how much their fredoms are being infringed at all. They just don't pay attention to whats going on, and think things are Ok if the government makes the terrorists go away. What they just don't see is that once the freadoms are gone they're gone. I explained the Homeland Security act to a friend, and it scared her, she had no idea what it entailed. Its exactly that lack of attention that is letting all of this happen.
See how she draws her breath and lets it go again, as if no one else in the world knew that air was good.
Coureton
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:12 am

Coureton wrote:The thing that bothers me most is that much of the population doesn't realise how much their fredoms are being infringed at all. They just don't pay attention to whats going on, and think things are Ok if the government makes the terrorists go away. What they just don't see is that once the freadoms are gone they're gone. I explained the Homeland Security act to a friend, and it scared her, she had no idea what it entailed. Its exactly that lack of attention that is letting all of this happen.

And therein is the problem. If someone starts yelling about the infringment, the government throws up the terrorist bogeyman as an excuse. And that is all it is.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:55 am

Right. The gov's going after the terrorists... so that's okay.

However, we appear to be out of a danger zone for something as massive as the Two Tower Tumble to occur again. Therefore, the government should start making reassuring noises, not fear-inspiring ones. Although a populace afraid is easer to control...

Theproblem people are seeing is that they want to support legitimate capture of terrorists without the total pissing on the Constitution that the current Administration is working toward.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby redwulf25_ci on Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:45 pm

Silver Adept wrote:Right. The gov's going after the terrorists... so that's okay.

However, we appear to be out of a danger zone for something as massive as the Two Tower Tumble to occur again. Therefore, the government should start making reassuring noises, not fear-inspiring ones. Although a populace afraid is easer to control...

Theproblem people are seeing is that they want to support legitimate capture of terrorists without the total pissing on the Constitution that the current Administration is working toward.

Can anyone find a copy of that, I don't know if I should call it poem or essay, that was basicly:

"They came for (X group) and I did not complain, for I was not a/an (member of X group)."

(skip down through a lot of "They came for (X) . . .)

"And then they came for me and there was nobody left to complain."

I recall seeing a version edited for the War On Terror.
Martin Hall CI, PIQE: Be Virtious and Cool
Clan of the cats Geek Code
COTC+++ Arch++ Prm++++ Char++ Chelsea++ Jubal+++ Sebo+ Pst+ FA-- EI+ M++ W++ Ch- WeR--- EaR--- V--- WW+ WC- W&W++
CRFH Code v3.1 R+ D&Blue and Margret+ !WB F- PSL++[Blue or April] U !IRC RM? BSL RPG P+++ I+ E GN+ AI+
redwulf25_ci
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:37 pm

The original is attributed to Pastor Martin Niem
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:13 pm

Well said, Silver. To say that this bothers me greatly is an understatement of the highest form. One plan I have come up with is the writing of an Amicus Curiae brief in regards to the US PATRIOT Act. ("Patriot" is actually an acronym).

If the Supreme Court were looking at this, their issue would be "Do Illegal Immigrants have the same Constitutional protections of US Citizens?"

I think I can find something that would answer with a resounding "Yes!" Also, there is no question that privacy rights have been breached badly. This will be a problem that warrants looking into further.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal