Hearaldry

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Hearaldry

Postby Thalass on Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew a reliable source for finding out if my family had a coat of arms. (I doubt it, but I'm curious)

I know that Lady Moloney designed the KOJ Coat of Arms, so perhaps she could help?

Anyway, this seemed like the best place to ask. I've tried the usual websites, and short of going to the Netherlands or paying someone to look I've found nothing. (the idea of paying someone to find something that, if it exists, is rightfully mine anyway seems somewhat insulting. Dunno why.)

Well, any assistance or direction-pointing is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
De liefdesslaaf van Mellie.
Special Effects officer, Funky Horror - More bang for your buck!

His Holiness, Pope Thalass T'Kynn, KSC - Protector of Space Pirates, future King of the Frisians.

--><--
Thalass
Keenspot Despot

Postby Rei on Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:45 pm

have you tried Google? Your CoA will vary depending on geographic origins, ect. But lots of really good sites are listed in Google.

I used to have a list of heraldry links, but the list is woefully out of date :) So Googling is probably your best bet
Probi Immotiqve Este
<A HREF="mailto:rei@ivbalis.org">rei@ivbalis.org</A>
Rei
Keenspotter Supreme

Be sure...

Postby Greg on Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:52 am

Hi there!

Firstly, you won't have a "family" Coat of Arms. It's a common misconception, but there's no such thing.

By tradition, Arms belong to a person, not a family. By tradition, people would sometime use the Coat of Arms of the Head of the family, which is where the confusion came.

Usually, each male in a noble house would adopt their father's arms, with come variation on the theme. So, all the members of the one familiy would have similar arms, but each person's would be different.

If there is no sons in a family, the eldest daughter would be considered an "heraldic heiress", which would mean that, when she married, her husband would incorporate her father's arms into his own, usually by superimposing a smaller shield in the centre with her arms on it.

By tradition, then, any children from the marriage would then divide their arms diagonally (per bend), and have the father's arms on the dexter side and the mother's on the sinister side.

For more information, I highly recommend http://www.ivbalis.org/heraldry/index.html (Sir Timber's guide)

Also, usually on a noble from an Imperial Monarchy would have arms. You may come across a set of arms for someone whom has the same Family name as you, but that doesn't mean that you are a direct or blood relative, or have any right to use or develop them yourself.

Also, there may be laws depending on your country. I don't think there are any resticutions in the U.S., but in the U.K. you may only use arms bestowed upon you by the College of Heralds.

In Australia, New Zealand and Canada, it's a very grey area. Those countries are constitutionally separate from U.K., but have not established their own College of Heralds. In theory, the UK still has some heraldic jurisitiction, but it would not be exclusive, or necessarily enforceable.

PIQE,
Sir Greg
-------------
Sir Gregory of Melbourne, KCI
Knight of the Order of Jubal
"What I tell you three times is true..." - The Bellman
Greg
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Thalass on Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:39 pm

Thanks, guys!

As soon as I wrote the post I thought to myself "isn't there a guide on the KOJ site? hahaha so I've read that.

I want to make sure it's the correct one. There are 10 separate families of Rijpstra's in Fiesland, so I'd want to make sure! hahaha

I'm going to go to the Netherlands next year so I'll have a look then. In the meantime, I'm googling! hahaha

Thanks again, guys!

His Holiness, Pope Thalass T'Kynn, KSC - Protector of Space Pirates, future King of the Frisians.

--><--
Thalass
Keenspot Despot

Postby Thalass on Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:40 pm

Thanks, guys!

As soon as I wrote the post I thought to myself "isn't there a guide on the KOJ site? hahaha so I've read that.

I want to make sure it's the correct one. There are 10 separate families of Rijpstra's in Fiesland, so I'd want to make sure! hahaha

I'm going to go to the Netherlands next year so I'll have a look then. In the meantime, I'm googling! hahaha

Thanks again, guys!

--><--
Thalass
Keenspot Despot

Postby Thalass on Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:41 pm

Thanks, guys!

Thanks again, guys!
Thalass
Keenspot Despot

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal