Discussion/Rant (SANDER Device): Newspapers and Chivalry

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Postby Silver Adept on Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:41 am

As I noted in the "proof" thread after Lothar noted that he had organized and done a good deed and that it was rejected on the basis of that it was "controversial" good news (They were all pagans that did this noble deed.)<P>Unto which the SANDER device made the following salient point: <P>Good deeds don't sell. <P>After further examination, it produced the following elcidation of the fact stated above: <P>It would appear that our newsmedia and society is more interested in how many people died today than how many lives were saved, how many people were helped, how many wonderful acts occured. <P>Society seems to be more interested in fatalities and injuries and evil than it is in the important things: chivalry, nobility, and courage. This is a disturbing trend. <P>The SANDER device then referenced the "TV shows" Rant, explaining that today's programming that is non-news also shows the societal tendency to glorify wrong behavior. 'Survivor' and it's ilk are more interested in backstabbing and voting off then they are in teamwork, co-operation, and survival. <P>The editor, Sir Alexander, thought it prudent to trim the SANDER device's rant into a more manageable argument. It continued: <P>The proper course of action to reverse this particular trend is to promote the good opposed to the bad. Would it not be wonderful that consistently, on the evening news, there was a story of a good deed done. It didn't have to be big, flashy, showy, just effective. Coat drives, blood drives, tire-changing (heh...) could all make national news. I would rather that the news organizations were so flooded with stories and tales of good deeds that they had to sort through them to find the best examples for printing as opposed to having to sift through all the violence and evil that the world turns out by itself. <P>Perhaps, then, we could produce the antithesis of the newspaper, a production that catalogued and presented all the good deeds done in a day, and making no reference to any acts of violence or evil committed. (However, something like heroism during a conflict that brought about the conflict's end is certainly worth reporting.) <P>Sir Alexander believes that the SANDER device is posing two questions. <P>1) How do we reverse the negative trend of the newsmedia? <P>2) Would it be possible to produce the Anti-Newspaper that chronicled all the good deeds done in a day as opposed to the evil deeds?
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lothar Sauvage on Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:19 am

Dang, Silver... a post whose lengthe is worthy of my illustrious sig. LOL.<P>On the more serious note, first a correction: The Samhain Coat Drive last year was my wife's doing. My involvement was simply some meeting and handshake stuff and driving the loads. <P>As far as how to get started, I will talk to some contacts I have in the media and see what advice they have to give other than the standard "go away and shut up". My goal will be to get contacts and leads to follow and get this ball rolling.<P>*rantmode*
The press is constantly pointing fingers at everything from violent video games to movies with "immorality". IMHO the greatest spreader of compost is the media itself by it's "bad news sells" attitude.<P>Granted, the media has an obligation to report the news, but that obligation requires them to do so in an unbiased way. I do not see this happening with any good news whether contraversial or not. If they want to see news that sells, pick up those wonderful examples of objective reporting: the Globe and Enquirer. I doubt they would want the comparison, but they sure have the circulation numbers to back it up.<P>For those of you in Australia and other places spared from these particular prize winning (not pullitzer) examples of journalism at it's worst (you have your own gossip rags), their favorite highlights include stunts by famous people, alien abductions, animal-human hybrids, and the latest diet in the Bible that will help you win the lotto.<P>Bottom line is this: H. G. Wells damn near started mass riots when he broadcast The War of the Worlds. Folks held him accountable though everyone should have known it was a show. With all this bad news being portrayed as the only news of the day, what are people to think? How are people to act in this apparent post-apocalyptic warzone we live in? It's dog eat dog out there if the media is to be believed, so is it any wonder people are acting the part? This has to stop.
*/rantmode*<P>Regards,<P>Lothar Sauvage<P>[This message has been edited by Lothar Sauvage (edited 06-05-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Lothar Sauvage (edited 06-05-2001).]
Lothar Sauvage
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Atlas_v1.1 on Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:20 am

Heard and witnessed, brother.<P>Mistrust and assumption of ill intent is the order of the day. I've felt this, myself on occasion; I hitchhiked. I use the past tense, because hitchhiking is all but impossible by now. A few years past, I could hitchhike the length of the country in a day (that's 200-300 km or so) without major problems.
Last year, I and a friend took four hours to hitchhike 30 km. We could have walked there faster. All because the assumption by now is, that everyone who hitchhikes is a murderer, a robber or a rapist. Interestingly, there have been no reported cases of hitchhiker crimes in Denmark, ever. The negativity of media at work again.<P>How can we work to counter this? Awareness. Visibility. We need to get people to realize that there are still such things as good guys. And that some times, people will help without expecting the least in return.<P>The Anti-Paper is a good idea. But we need to make sure that it is kept on a serious level, and to make sure that it is taken seriously. It's important tthat it looks and feels proffessional, and that the news is trustworthily rendered. We need journalists, or at least skilled writers, to do that.<P>And then, maybe, we can try to twist the mentality of the society out of its downward spiral.
Atlas_v1.1
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh the Aspie on Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:43 am

*tenitivly offering my services as a journalist, tentitive because of schedual, and because of not knowing what it entails*<P>------------------
No one can escape themselves forever, not even death. - Me
Tiss a poore minde indeede that kin only finde one way to spelle a worde.
Josh the Aspie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rei on Wed Jun 06, 2001 9:50 am

thanks for the links, Jim<P>i too would be willing to assist in such an endevour.<P>want a CV of my editorial exploits? *chuckles*<P>as a side note, i am pleased to see my local paper has a 'good news of the week' column, where people write in about some good deed or service that they witnessed. they even win a small prize for writing.<P>
unfortunately, its about three column inches long, in a 40-page newspaper...such a small island in a sea of negativity. *sigh*<P>chalk up another great idea to think about, guys<P>rei
Rei
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jim Brockman on Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:02 am

I agree that such a newsource can greatly aid our cause.<P>I want to help. I'll look out for and bring reports of chivalrous acts.<P>Any thing else needed just give me a yell.
Thy Humble servant awaits your call.<P>------------------
Jim Brockman CI
Jim Brockman
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silver Adept on Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:34 am

Our paper has a good turns column as well, on the inside of the front page, but it only runs sporadically. <P>As for the Anti-Paper, I certainly would accept any and all help to get it going, but that requires time which many of us may not be able to find to do editing and research and writing.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal