I need your opinions

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Wed May 16, 2001 9:06 am

I need your opinions on this. This is a $5 billion dollar lawsuit pending from that Columbine shooting. This is just wrong...
<A HREF="http://pc.ign.com/news/33723.html" TARGET=_blank>http://pc.ign.com/news/33723.html</A> <P>I think it is the responsibility of the parents, not the game companies, to keep their kids in line. Here's something they didn't tell you:<P>Klebold's father, the day before the shooting, could have prevented the whole thing. He saw the sawed-off shotgun on the dresser and could have easily notified the authorities...BUT HE DIDN'T, thinking it was a phase...<P>Here's a candidate for a Darwin award if I ever saw one! <P>My point is, the parents need to know what nasty things their kids can do, and prevent the damage from coming to pass! Maybe I'm harsh, but to be realistic, you have to be. <P>------------------
Rodney Dean, CI of the Order of the Knights of Jubal.<P>"The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death." --Oscar Wilde
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sekhmet on Thu May 17, 2001 3:50 am

SAW THE GUN?!?? Sheesh....<P>Here's a novel idea...Let's all stop pointing fingers and accept that we're all in some abstract way responsible for what goes on in the news...<P>A lot of the time, the community has no idea what goes on in the schools. I can vouch for that; I see it happen every time I tell someone where I go to school.<P>"IB what??" <P>Maybe if the COMMUNITY were to get more involved...Not just the parents, or the neighbors, or the people with a stake in the educational communities, but every other random Joe and Jane. I think that might help a little. At least they wouldn't be standing in their kitchens watching the news, shaking their heads, and saying "How sad. Couldn't someone have done something?"<P>(the following is directed to no one in particular, but think about it)<P>Yeah. You, for one, could have volunteered a few days a month. You could have donated old books that you never really read to a school. You could have voted in the latest school board, city coucil, or Presidential election. And you could have voted after having thought about your choice of candidate, too. Every little thing makes a difference. Read Chapter 2 of Thoreau's WALDEN, "Where I Lived and What I Lived For". Pay attention to the man who takes the nap near the end of the chapter. Is that you? Then go read St.-Exup
Sekhmet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Thu May 17, 2001 7:54 am

I myself had volunteered regularly as a high school student, but, with college obligations, haven't been able to put in the time. I must agree that more involvement in general is needed. <P>------------------
Rodney Dean, CI of the Order of the Knights of Jubal.<P>"The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death." --Oscar Wilde
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sekhmet on Fri May 18, 2001 3:51 am

I talked with some of my classmates this morning about this thread. They agreed, for the most part, that the community doesn't really know what goes on in its schools. And yet, once you allow it to bring you into its fold, you become family...<P>There are people I am with now who have been in my classes, 7 a day, for the last three years. We have one more year together before we go our separate ways. They are my brothers, sisters, and cousins. In the Underclass, they are my children and grandchildren. The teachers are family -- students band together to help them move in to classroom and home alike -- and whether we like them or not, we show them respect because they have earned it. They don't have to teach us, but they do. And they may not like us, but they retain their fairness when evaluating us.<P>People who volunteer are always amazed: amazed at what we know, how we discipline ourselves, how we band together against other kids and The Evil Homework Monster, how involved we are with our education and with our clubs, and how we manage to retain positive moods and school spirit even when everything else has gone down the tubes.<P>I like seeing the light bulb come on for these people. Once you get involved with education on a level like that, you can never escape.<P>The administrators wondered one day how to communicate with the IB students. "Tell one of them," said a parent, "and the rest of them will know in twenty-four hours." Parents have gone to the administration with tales of IB dedication: study sessions going till midnight, phone conferences every night about homework, online chats every afternoon, carpools, rehersals, concerts, plays, award ceremonies, sporting events, debate and quiz competitions, party planning, and the occasional pool party at the country club that goes from 3:30 on Friday afternoon until 8 or 9 Saturday morning. Not to mention weekling club and council meetings, and math tutoring four times a week.<P>The administrators look at these parents and say, "We had no idea that all happened. How do they manage it?" Which goes to show you, that sometimes when you think you're involved enough, there's still more you don't know....<P>------------------
"The waters, they are poisoned."
So reincarnate on some sane planet.
Sekhmet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BandMan2K on Fri May 18, 2001 6:10 am

I agree that the Lawsuit is completely over the top. No one wants to accept any real responsibility, so they blame everyone else other than themselves. I honestly think they sit down together and think "who should we blame this on and yet profit from it."<P>If anything, those deaths are being cheapened by these opportunists who make my gut wretch.<P>whew. Vent over. Thanks
<P>------------------
Sir Howard Seelye, KI:
Order of the Knights of Jubal (PIQE)<P>"Don't go getting me angry... not if you value your life!!"
Duo Maxwell, Gundam Wing
BandMan2K
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jamie on Sat May 19, 2001 12:03 am

I did a editorial cartoon about this a few days back. Thought I would share.<P> <A HREF="http://pointofview.keenspace.com/d/20010514.html" TARGET=_blank>http://pointofview.keenspace.com/d/20010514.html</A> <P>Take care,<P>Jamie<P>------------------
KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
<A HREF="http://ivbalis.org" TARGET=_blank>http://ivbalis.org</A> <P>Clan of the Cats
<A HREF="http://clanofthecats.com" TARGET=_blank>http://clanofthecats.com</A> <P>"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
- Mark Twain
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Sat May 19, 2001 7:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamie:
<B>I did a editorial cartoon about this a few days back. Thought I would share.<P> <A HREF="http://pointofview.keenspace.com/d/20010514.html" TARGET=_blank>http://pointofview.keenspace.com/d/20010514.html</A> <P>Take care,<P>Jamie<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brilliant!! Sounds great, and right. Blame the people, not the games or the weapons.<P>I need to conduct an experiment. I want to lay a gun on a table and leave it for 10 years, completely sealed away where no one can reach it. I'm betting it will still be there.<P>No person is responsible for killing but the one pulling the trigger. People who are stupid enough to do something on the basis of an RPG like D&D or White Wolf Games deserve whatever punishment they get.<P>No mercy for the stupid!<P>------------------
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lothar Sauvage on Sat May 19, 2001 8:52 am

The root of the problem is a lack of personal responsibility. This is occuring at all levels of society. Everyone is saying it wasn't their fault and begin to point fingers. <P>The fact remains that people are dead. The real tragedy is not in the loss of life, but in the loss without understanding, for without the understanding, the loss can and will occur again, no matter who they sue and for how much.<P>Usually the one who cries the loudest is the one that should be scrutinized. In this case it is the parents who are attempting to foist the blame on whomever they can, so long as it is off their shoulders.<P>I am a parent. I take an active interest in my child. Don't give me excuses about your time constraints, because if you do, I will know immediately where your priorities lie and where the problem is.<P>If you bring a child into this world, The child is your charge, your responsibility. <P>Who is ultimately responsible for the child's care and education? The parents. <P>Who is responsible when the child excels in sports or grades? The parents. <P>Who is responsible when the child does something stupid or even commits a crime? The parents.<P>Responsibility comes with accountability. The parents need to grow up. It is my sincere wish that the courts see this too.<P>Regards,<P>Lothar Sauvage
Lothar Sauvage
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Sat May 19, 2001 9:35 am

YES!!! BY THE SAINTS, SOMEONE HAS IT!! <P>Good sir, you have made another critical point clear. Parents must remain accountable for their children. In my church, a parent is accountable until a child reaches 8 years. <P>By then, the child should be capable of making his/her own decisions. If they aren't, the blame is on the parent or child. I think they need to extend it in light of current events.<P>------------------
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Sun May 20, 2001 10:45 am

Heh... Being a child, I know what you're talking about. There are things that I hide from my parents because I believe that they won't understand. <P>Luckily for me, these are minor. Considering that my parents instilled into me a strong moral code and the means to determine right from wrong, I am eternally grateful. IT makes life easier when you can see what is and isn't right. <P>Unfortunately, right now, the blame is being shifted away. Children are now supposed to be a societal problem. It's always Somebody Else's Fault when a child does something. Soecity blames the parents and other facets of society, and the parents blame society in it's entirety. <P>However, nobody thinks to blame the children. It is assumed that these kids would have continued along a moral path if the societal influences hadn't been there. <P>The problem is, is the kids were not taught the proper means of behavior by their parents. And then, society didn't step in to correct the error. Instead, it exploited it. <P>The blame resides with the parents for not equpping their children with the means to determine the correctness of an action. The blame is with society for not filling the moral void that the children were receiving. <P>But ultimately, the true place for the blame is with the children, because they were the ones who committed the action. They are responsible for their actions. They will suffer the consequences. <P>The question that we are asking is not the correct one. <P>Society and the parents ask, What caused these children to do this? <P>The correct questions to ask are, <P>Why did they do this?
-and-
How can we prevent it from happening again? <P>Instead of looking outside to blame, we should turn inward to find the deficiencies that produced this behavior. After that, fill them. Set the foundation properly, and the house will endure. The problem is that people are not laying the foundation properly.
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal