Rant: TV SHows

The noble Order of the Knights of Jubal traces its origins back to the Year Two Thousand A.D., when a group of distinguished persons of good and true character, founded the order to promote chivalry and honour. The order takes its name from our leader, Alexander Jubal McRae, who on two (so far) occasions has been seriously injured, in one case fatally, defending an innocent woman from attackers.

Moderators: Jamie, Greg

Postby Sekhmet on Thu May 17, 2001 4:35 am

I must admit that I only like The Weakest Link because of the host's quips...There are one or two (or three or four or five or six or, uhhhmmmm.....) people in my life that I would like to say things like that to.<P>"Who is a few margaritas short of a party?"<P>"Which one of you is NOT a candidate for human cloning?"<P>"Who is the unpopped kernel in your bag of popcorn?"<P>And so forth.<P>And YES, I do find it odd that society promotes shows like these (Survivor I & II, Greed, The Mole, Weakest Link, Millionaire, Big Brother, etc etc etc) and then turns around and complains about young people losing respect for their elders, or becoming cold-hearted and callous.<P>Hmph.<P><3
Sabi, CI<P>------------------
"The waters, they are poisoned."
So reincarnate on some sane planet.
Sekhmet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Thu May 17, 2001 8:02 am

I have to go with Sekhmet and Greg's assessment on this. Maybe my earlier comments were premature. Still, as Sekhmet said, it is strange how people enjoy these shows and then turn around and wonder why everyone's losing respect for their elders and the like.<P>I personally think an elder should be respected but not blindly obeyed.<P>"I wasn't thinking." is an invalid excuse.<P>------------------
Rodney Dean, CI of the Order of the Knights of Jubal.<P>"The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death." --Oscar Wilde
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PhoenixPaw on Fri May 18, 2001 8:01 am

Let me tell you about how most media racted when a TV-channel started the show Survivor in Sweden some... 5 years ago. (Yup, it's a Swedish id
PhoenixPaw
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lohen on Mon May 21, 2001 3:34 am

I would have to start this post by saying that I have never watched 'Survivor' or 'Temptation Island', although I have seen 'The Weakest Link' and various episodes of 'Big Brother' a few times. The thing that strikes me about these shows is not their novelty in themselves, but how they are moving an old idea to a new medium.<P>The game of alliances and betrayals is possibly the oldest game of all, after survival. It can be seen throughout human societies, and also in social relations in a great variety of other animals. IMO, these 'reality' shows merely highlight the prevalence of such actions in normal, everyday human relationships. <P>One proof-of-concept for this could be presented in another show which was aired by the BBC in the UK a year ago. This show, called 'Castaways', involved moving a group of people to a deserted wet-and-windy island off the west coast of Scotland. The purpose was to stay there for a year, practicing self-sufficiency as a community in a novel environment. There was no instigation by the BBC to vote off other members of the community - quite the opposite. The people were deliberately selected to be from a range of backgrounds and to bring a range of skills to bear. However, despite this, the show was not a complete success. There were fights and schisms within the community, people left and others coming to take their place often had to struggle to be accepted. The same old games were being played, although often on a slower basis.<P>I could go on, & in particular would like to discuss two old games called "The Prisoner's Dilemma" & "Diplomacy", both of which focus on loyalty v. betrayal as strategies, but by and large I'm getting the feeling that any more points would only muddy the issue here. Thank you for reading this.<P>Lohen, CI
Lohen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Lothar Sauvage on Tue May 22, 2001 7:39 am

The real problem is that despite the fact that most people do not care for those shows, they watch them out of morbid facination. This means the worst shows get good ratings week after week and they can bill a higher price for commercials, making the whole sordid mess financially viable. This in turn leads to more shows like them, after all, "it's what people want to see", right? <P>To break the vicious cycle, there are two things we can do. <P>The first is simple and effective: If it disgusts you, don't watch it. Voice your opinion to those that talk to you about these shows; peer pressure is not just a tool for wrong. If enough people quit watching crap, ad execs will get a clue and discover crap TV no longer gets the looks at their ads and will pull their money and place it elsewhere. <P>The second strategy is a bit more involved, and although it feels like you are actually doing something, it's really less effective in the grand scheme, and could backfire. Watch the show, not for the show, but for the commercials. Find out who is paying for it and write letters to the companies, their ad agencies, the network, and the station expressing your concern and disapproval. <P>In some cases this works when a company is trying to cultivate a rosy-cheeked go-to-church-on-Sunday image and the show is particularly offensive. Bear in mind, however, that some companies, in specific the ad agencies, want contraversy. There's that morbid curiosity factor again, and if you think about it, they did get you to take note of their client's product, otherwise you wouldn't have contacted them.<P>I can't in good conscience recommend a boycott, since most companies blanket a time slot and have no control over what ends up on the schedule.<P>Bottom line: To make a meaningful effect, you must make it poor business practice to show crap. <P>I personally watch Bab5 reruns, Junkyard Wars, and Farscape if it's a new one, so my vote counts for little since my TV wiewing for a week is less than most people's day. Good luck in your quest!<P>Regards,<P>Lothar Sauvage, CI
Lothar Sauvage
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Eqvites Ivbalis, Order of the Knights of Jubal