Lost and Found mentioned on Websnark

Private Eye Frank Chase and his partner/dog Max are on the case!

Moderator: Milligan

Lost and Found mentioned on Websnark

Postby Freak on Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:40 pm

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2004/0 ... etter.html

Anybody willing to work on rectifying that problem?
Freak
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

dude -

Postby Johnski333 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:55 am

Any publicity is good publicity, right guys? Right?

Well, it's obvious he's reading.
Johnski333
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AccordionDad on Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:37 am

Right, 'cause you know, TV shows in their 3rd or 4th year on the air always advertise the backstories of their casts during every episode, so you can know what's going on without having to, you know, view the earlier episodes or anything.

Silliness.
Leave the world better than you found it.
http://www.davidvincenti.com
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AccordionDad on Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:40 am

Oh, and this line:

Any crappy cast page, out of date and poorly written, is eons better than no cast page

just makes it for me. "Crappy, out of date, and poorly written" are the perfect specifications for a webcomic's site, which is intended to, you know, showcase the web skills, artistry, and authorship of the WRITER WHOSE WEBSITE IT IS.

Just plain silliness.
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby websnark on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:15 pm

AccordionDad wrote:Right, 'cause you know, TV shows in their 3rd or 4th year on the air always advertise the backstories of their casts during every episode, so you can know what's going on without having to, you know, view the earlier episodes or anything.

Silliness.

Actually, one of the most significant problems for television shows is bringing in new viewers, especially in the third or fourth season. There is typically a decline in viewership over time, as people lose interest or whatnot. And, for a show that has any kind of depth of continuity, it becomes increasingly difficult for them to replace the viewers they lose because people are too easily lost. Further, there is an art to television exposition, so that they can remind people of the past as they go along.

The glorious thing about working in the web medium is, those aren't as necessary. Because, you see, you can put a simple page one link away that lists who people are and how they relate to one another. That way, new readers can come in on the advice of a fan and pick things up quickly. And if they like what they see, maybe they'll trek through a multiple year backlog and maybe they won't. But it's not absolutely necessary that they do -- they can just start reading and enjoying.

Needless to say, I stand by the opinion. If you're going to actually list the link on your page, not putting something up is simply baffling.
websnark
Keenspotter Supreme

Who cares?

Postby miK. on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:02 pm

The second line of text on that web page is:
"No, no one gives a crap what I think."

I should have just stopped reading there and agreed.

peace-
miK.
miK.
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AccordionDad on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:48 pm

websnark wrote:Further, there is an art to television exposition, so that they can remind people of the past as they go along.

Needless to say, I stand by the opinion. If you're going to actually list the link on your page, not putting something up is simply baffling.

I guess I missed the point a little. I have much shelf space devoted to my favorite print comics (Fox Trot, Baby Blues, and Peanuts, taking up most of it). I did not discover any of those series at their beginning. I got into them from reading them, and got to know the characters through the strips, not through any guidebook to their personalities. I started to care about Jason and Darryl and Schroeder because a strip or two intrigued me at some point, I read more strips, finally learned enough about them to take an interest in their actions. (Though for the record: they should outlaw "Peanuts Classic". Let the man rest in peace, already). That "art of exposition" is part of any storytelling form, and it comes from inside the story, not in an appendix.

Furthermore, I've read lots of series of books, too - some from the beginning, some not. I've not consulted any guidebooks to the characters for those series either. Wait... I did consult the histories of Dune before embarking on that series, and I haven't touched a Dune book in 22 years. I dunno if those things are related.

Being fair, I can't argue that listing a menu option that links to nothing is good design. However, I maintain that the absence of a cast list isn't deterring any prospective readers, nor would having one hook a reader who hasn't visited the archive.

OK, I think that was my point. Thanks for staying with me while I got to it.
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Milligan on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:26 pm

Okay, let me jump in here.

First of all, thanks you guys for leaping to my defense.

But Snarky is right.

There should be a cast page. Especially since there's been a dead link to one for years. I wish he'd used the term "lazy" rather than "stupid" but what are ya gonna do? It's his blog rant, he can say whatever the hell he wants.

There's a cast page now.

I would like to say that I am proud of AccordionDad for practically single-handedly getting Snark to sign up and join the Keenspot message boards. His one and only post so far appears in this thread. Bravo!

And, Snark, you may take full responsibility for getting me off my ass and getting me to put the page together.

I dare ya to bitch about strips with dead links to author bio pages. I double dare ya.

--Matt
Go Read Lost & Found Already!
Milligan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby websnark on Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:00 pm

Milligan wrote:I would like to say that I am proud of AccordionDad for practically single-handedly getting Snark to sign up and join the Keenspot message boards. His one and only post so far appears in this thread. Bravo!

He's a persuasive fellow. And, following links, he's also a kickass poet. I respect kickass poets. And kickass artists. In fact, I respect most people I can describe as kickass. It's my nature.

Milligan wrote:And, Snark, you may take full responsibility for getting me off my ass and getting me to put the page together.

Meh. I neither need nor deserve credit. I will, however, make mention that said cast page is up, now. I've been waiting for the right moment to snark the strip proper anyhow. It's certainly worthy. :)

Milligan wrote:I dare ya to bitch about strips with dead links to author bio pages. I double dare ya.

--Matt

Not gonna happen. ;) Whether or not you choose to tell the world about us is your choice, and doesn't impact the strip or people getting into it.

(As for the "stupid." For what it's worth, I am sorry. I was trying to go for humor by going way over the top. This is a learning process for me.)
websnark
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AccordionDad on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:46 pm

websnark wrote:
Milligan wrote:I would like to say that I am proud of AccordionDad for practically single-handedly getting Snark to sign up and join the Keenspot message boards. His one and only post so far appears in this thread. Bravo!

He's a persuasive fellow. And, following links, he's also a kickass poet. I respect kickass poets. And kickass artists. In fact, I respect most people I can describe as kickass. It's my nature.

I suppose it's possible that I've been paid higher compliments for the output of my word habit, but I cannot recall any.

And it does seem that the result of this little thread has been positive on all accounts. I cannot recall any other instances of that happening, either.

Not bad.
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Lost and Found Investigations