Nitpicking...

Private Eye Frank Chase and his partner/dog Max are on the case!

Moderator: Milligan

Postby Milligan on Sun Sep 30, 2001 5:42 am

Yep.<P>Thanks!<P><P>------------------
--Matt<P>Go read <A HREF="http://www.lostandfoundcomic.com" TARGET=_blank>Lost & Found Investigations</A> Already!
Milligan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bo Lindbergh on Sun Sep 30, 2001 9:56 am

Shouldn't the new section be named "Between Cases VII" rather than "Between Cases V"?
Bo Lindbergh
Keenspot Despot

Postby AccordionDad on Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:31 am

Ever wonder why they're called "gumshoes"? Is it related to "flatfoot"? (that's just one for the etymologists among the L&F crowd...)<P>Cogito, ergo gumshoe. (that's just one for the ancient etymologists among the L&F crowd...)<P>Does your shoeing gum lose its flavor on the Sega overnight? (that's just for me...)<P>------------------
Leave the world better than you found it.
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Johnski333 on Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:20 am

Congratulations Bo!<P>You win the first of the Lost and Found investigations "Gumshoe of the Month
Johnski333
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Major Tom on Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:02 am

My guess: <P>"gumshoe", ie, not a leather-soled shoe. Probably cheaper than 'quality' shoes at the time and, most likely, quieter so they can sneak around...
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Carn_Carby on Sun Oct 07, 2001 4:22 am

Here's a few conflicting opinions:
<A HREF="http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.gumshoe.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.gumshoe.html</A> <P>Here's another def'n.<P>"Gumshoes in the late 1800s were shoes or boots made of gum rubber. Precursors to contemporary sneakers, these shoes were soft-soled and quieter than other shoes available at the time. At the start of the 1900s, "to gumshoe" meant to sneak around quietly.
Later the word referred to either thieves or the police who caught the crooks. By 1908 the word almost exclusively described the good guys, the people who investigated the crimes by acting stealthily or surreptiously."<P>KN
Carn_Carby
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AccordionDad on Sun Oct 07, 2001 5:42 am

Ah, how I live a good word origins discussion!<P>Next up: "Private Dick". If you've ever seen a Pre-Three-Sons Fred MacMurray Movie, you know this term. And since it originated well before some more, umm, <I>colloquial</I> definitions that might spring to mind, odds are it's of a clean origin.<P>Question is: What, exactly, <I> is</I> that origin?<P>You may work with your neighbor. Please record all answers in your blue book.<P>------------------
Leave the world better than you found it.<p>[This message has been edited by AccordionDad (edited 10-07-2001).]
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Padre on Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:05 am

Padre <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AccordionDad:
<B>Ah, how I live a good word origins discussion! Next up: "Private Dick". If you've ever seen a Pre-Three-Sons Fred MacMurray Movie, you know this term. And since it originated well before some more, umm, <I>colloquial</I> definitions that might spring to mind, odds are it's of a clean origin. Question is: What, exactly, <I> is</I> that origin? You may work with your neighbor. Please record all answers in your blue book. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ego Te Absolvum In Nomine Patri, Et Filii + Et Spirtus Sancti. Amen. Again. Twice. Three strikes and you're outta here!
Padre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AccordionDad on Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:24 am

Yeesh. What kinda bum must I be if Padre devotes two of his first 4 posts after a long absence to absolving me? I mean, I'm flattered he cares that much for my soul, but crimony, what did I say?<P>Padre, come on! I didn't even tell the one about the golfer playing in a rainstorm who holds up a 1-iron to keep himself safe when the lighning starts.<P>I'm not posting the punch line without an advance absolution.<P>------------------
Leave the world better than you found it.
AccordionDad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Lost and Found Investigations