11-29 It's Not You, It's Me...

Greystone Inn is about a fictional comic strip ("Greystone Inn"), and the crew that produces it on a weekly basis.

Moderator: Brad J. Guigar

11-29 It's Not You, It's Me...

Postby TheAuldGrump on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:44 am

Best thing about InDesign - it's not Quark!

I used an earlier version of Quark that had The World's Worst Global Find And Replace (tm), if you were doing say a pseudo medieval schtick and decided that you wanted to replace 'the' with 'ye' you would end up with brand new words like 'neiyer', 'panyer', and 'yere'... Gods I hated that program! :lol:

The Auld Grump
Last edited by TheAuldGrump on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brad J. Guigar on Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:43 am

I rather liked Quark XPress 4.0 in the pre-OSX days. -- But I do remember the find-and-replace problem you mentioned! :)

My biggest gripe was the time it took Quark to come up with a OSX version of XPress... and when they finally got around to it, it had almost *no* new features and it ran infuriatingly sloooooooooow!

Adobe InDesign comes around and it looks/works/acts/feels almost *exactly* like Quark XPress... and I'm not getting hung up by the f-ing pinwheel! PLUS, I get several incredibly useful new functions and a far superior handling of typography.

The decision was clear.

Quark got fat and lazy. I can't even say I'll miss them.
Brad J. Guigar
Keenspot Despot

Postby TheAuldGrump on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:50 am

And the place where I worked managed to get InDesign for less than it would have cost to upgrade Quark. Adobe gained a lot of fans that day.

The loudest voice being a a layout artist who used Xacto knives and light tables back in the old days. He is also the loudest voice in favor of computer layout and design, but when InDesign replaced Quark he was not sorry to see it go...

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Greystone Inn