threatened thread on ethics and/or religion

Greystone Inn is about a fictional comic strip ("Greystone Inn"), and the crew that produces it on a weekly basis.

Moderator: Brad J. Guigar

threatened thread on ethics and/or religion

Postby mouse on Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:10 pm

ok, i'm not quite sure where everyone ended up on the tagboard, but i'll start with my point. fred said something like 'science without religion is a monster'. now, i agree with what i think is the general underpinning of that, which is that science without some guiding sense of what is acceptable and not acceptable is capable of some truly horrific things - nazi experimentation on concentration camp victims springs instantly to mind. however, as an atheist, i do not feel that one has to be religious to have a moral sense, so i broadened the term to 'ethics'. can't remember if i said this also - but i think there is the potential for religious fanaticism to also subvert science. for example, some fundamentalist groups are promoting 'creationism' as an alternate to evolution - not sure how strongly they are trying to do science based on creationism as a model (since it isn't structured to ask questions the way science is) - but they are certainly trying to promote it as a 'science'. and other organized philosophies _have_ tried to direct science - for example, the soviet union worked to promote lamarkian evolution over neodarwinism (which is the currently accepted model). now, i'm not calling communism a religion - particularly since it absolutely resists the idea that there is any god or gods - but it is a system of philosophy that attempts to explain why the world is the way it is...which is sort of what religion (and, ok, even science!) does.

so! where does everyone else stand?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:42 pm

what - i chase you all over here and NONE of you post in my thread?

foo.

just see if i try to enlighten all of you with my philosophical brilliance again.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Return to Greystone Inn