Thank you, Vince Suzukawa

Furries + college life + Vince Suzukawa = one great comic strip!

Moderator: ClassMg

Thank you, Vince Suzukawa

Postby thatoneguy297 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:01 pm

Originally I had sleepily named this topic "TCM and Me." Don't know what I was thinking. Whatever.

Yeah, yeah, I know that proper grammar says "TCM and I", but whatever. And I can't help but think of that awful show on Nickelodeon a while back called "My Brother and Me". I wonder if there's a wikipedia entry on that show...

Woo. Tangent.

Okay, so, I found The Class Menagerie when it was about halfway through the characters' freshman year, and I zoomed through the archives until every comic had been read. I chekced back every day, even though it wasn't a daily update at that time, in anticipation of the next comic. It was probably, in all honesty, the first online comic that I had ever been so dedicated to.

All the while, I kept thinking "Man, this is more entertaining than most movies I've seen", with the occassional "That's stupid. But man, was it funny." The character development, though at times ridiculously outlandish (it is a comic strip, after all), was captivatingly believable, and was probably the least prude and most appealing piece of work in the realm of "furry" thus-far in my life. I was about 14, I think...if I weren't lazy, I would look up the date of the original comic and make a more educated guess...but I'm not, so I won't.

Anywho, just as the series was, unbeknownst to me, other readers, and possibly Vince, coming to an end, I was enthralled to see a love interest develop invloving Mikey, my then (and, yes, still now...moreso, even) character. Then he came out. And I cried a lot.

Now, see, this was a good thing. I have more or less come to terms with my own sexuality, and this was a huge step forward for me; this wholesome, awe-inspiring piece of fiction was my very first exposure to a positive view of homosexuality. The coping mechanisms, self-defense procedures, everything about Mikey fit me to the letter. And seeing a person like that left me stunned wtih joy. And now, whenever I hear someone talk about "this great comic called The Class Menagerie," my heart does a little flutter the same way that listening to the song "Everyday" by the Dave Matthews Band, whose album I listened to religiously during my "coming"-of-age years, if you will, in rememberance of the wondrous hours spent reading and enjoying this fantastic webcomic.

Which brings me to the point of my post.

Thank you, Vince Suzukawa, for being the wonderful, caring, creative, sharing and most-importantly, antitribulate person that you are. It has, sappy as it sounds, changed my life.

Yours truly,

Corey Jones

EDIT: Wow. Oh, wow. The comic in which Mikey actually comes out in the reruns of TCM is the day after my birthday.
Last edited by thatoneguy297 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatoneguy297
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Niall on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Yours isn't the only testimonial in that vein, and Vince will be happy to see he helped someone else. I think it's one of a creator's joys to see that the little scribbles they did has a positive and life-affirming impact in other people.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Niall
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to The Class Menagerie