"As a year flew by from the excitement.." (LSNBT C

Furries + college life + Vince Suzukawa = one great comic strip!

Moderator: ClassMg

"As a year flew by from the excitement.." (LSNBT C

Postby CJGarver on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:36 am

LSNBT Chapter 21: Mikey's Angels is now up.

Does anybody actually check this forum on a regular basis anymore? :-? Oh well, I have to post it somewhere, especially since my Geocities page got wiped out and I had to move to a new server, along with all of the old LSNBT chapters, so even people linking there looking for an update wouldn't find anything.

And it's only been, what, a year since I last posted one of these chapters? Gotta love grad-school and all it's fun-draining qualities.

Anyway, thanks go out, as usual, to Emsworth and his superior abilities at catching important words that I leave out of text, and to Loxley, for letting me do what I did in this chapter. :)

Peace!

-CJ
CJGarver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby House of Anchors on Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Oho, Mikey fandom? I'm SO there. :wink:

I'm sure people still check this place somewhat regularly. I check the comic every day and the forums at least every few days, generally... I figure there must be at least a couple of others who check back here often, in spite of the ongoing and unfortunate inactivity. :-?
House of Anchors
Keenspotter Supreme

HAIL THE CONQUERING PROCRASTINATOR!!!!

Postby JFD62780 on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:05 pm

House of Anchors wrote:Oho, Mikey fandom? I'm SO there. :wink:

Not just Mikey fandom, but King-Of-Fighters Fandom as well! :D

As for not checking the forums regularly, would you believe I heard of LSNBT chapter 21 from an LJ posting? :oops:

Okay, first Ch21 review: This chapter set the Guinness World Record for LSNBT Chapter Length, Scott's a llama *gets those Emperor's New Groove vibes*, Kevin's tired of today's TV, Kim's dumber than the stereotypical blonde, Michelle's still engaged, and Sara's edging on underhandedness. Did I miss anything? ;)

Anyways, here's hoping this isn't just a defibrillator's jolt, and LSNBT really will come back to life after this! 8)
Until next post...
JFD62780
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby House of Anchors on Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:36 am

King of Fighters? I'm not familiar with that, but I'll get to reading it anyway. (but right now I'm watching Kyou Kara Maou, so not for a while. :P )
House of Anchors
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Red on Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:17 am

YES!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

..... er... I'll read it when I get off of work. But YAY!

(and who am I? I'm da guy who found The Class M RIGHT after it ended, and so am now watching it from start to finish like you guys who were here long before me
... and a die hard LWNBT fan, as CJ here knows...)
Red
Junior Keenspotter

Postby House of Anchors on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:02 am

I'm only up to chapter 13 and 8 in the morning without sleep, but so far two lines really strike me...

"21!"

and Mikey's line about PMS. XD

woohoo! It almost reaches the level of sheer brilliance of the line, "I'm sorry, he's trying to score right now." Oh, Mikey, where would we be without you.
House of Anchors
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby soloDOTcom1185 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:31 pm

Yeah, I'm new just like Red. Actually, I just found The Class Menagerie a week ago, and now I read all the comic strips until now, even the ones in french that haven't been reposted yet (happy for taking french four years in high school). :P
Anyways, since I'm new, I want to know how I can start reading this fanfic of yours from the beginning, CJGarver. Link, maybe? Cuz JFD62780's link doesn't work. The name of the chapter already intrigues me. :D And maybe later I'll post up some of my fanart. Any ideas, anyone? :-?
soloDOTcom1185
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lord Emsworth on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:11 pm

For the record, there was a slight typographical error in JFD's post. The correct link is here.

JFD, the work never died. It was merely resting. No need for fear, as the epic shall continue to stretch out (even if breaks due to personal existence and whatnot are longer). If nothing else, and apart from the fact that an author generally likes to finish what he has started rather than simply abandoning it, when possible, I suspect CJ feels (and I know I do) that the work needs to be finished, partially in honor of the late Tim Bram, my fellow proofreader on this and longtime poster (passed away two years ago come October).

And for the newcomers, welcome, but be aware that, title not withstanding, and though Mikey could be considered the character at the center of the epic, I doubt it truly counts as pure "Mikey fandom," at least compared to other works. Also, it helps to have read other fanfics, particularly "Something Different" and "Something Really Different" for chapters 14 and "Bombs Away," as well as the "DeMontford 2" stories. NOt required, but does help to catch the in-jokes (at least, those that are related to the strip fandom and not to video games or old ad campaigns or Dave Barry's writing style, and so on). They can be found listed somewhere here. Also might want to stagger your reading, as many of these chapters are quite long (30-50 pages or more in MS Word format).

And just for the record, once again, this chapter was a pleasure to read as well as to edit (between the slapstick, revisiting the characters, and the Don Pardo reference, I got quite a kick out of things). And I'm sure CJ would appreciate any fan art (as well as words of praise, ballads, monetary donations, tokens of esteem, and Christmas cards, I imagine).
Lord Emsworth
Keenspot Despot

Postby JFD62780 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:54 pm

Now I'm wishing there still were an edit button... x.x

Em, I know this work of fiction never died, but who's to say other people would know? :P

This might well be the flame this forum needs! Good work, CJ! :D
Until next post...
JFD62780
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Octapus on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:57 am

My Mikey sense is tingling! I feel a disturbance in the forum! I've run out of quotes to use! Eh, who cares, it's good to see those creative juices boiling somewhere. I check here quite rarely now, but the work is Pavlov and I am the dog (an 8-legged opne, apparenly, but still)
Octapus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CJGarver on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:50 am

FINALLY some serious matters are squared away back at UIUC, so I can start getting back to my normal life of...not replying to things in a timely manner. Guess I wasn't affected THAT much by the situation. :)

House of Anchors:
Wow, you read fast. :) Don't worry about not being familiar with King of Fighters; very few people are, and it doesn't play a HUGE role...at the moment. Good to see that you think I held true to Mikey's character, at least up to where you are now. Thanks for the interest!

JFD62780:
To be perfectly fair, Chapter 18 was the longest chapter; it just seemed this was longer because I didn't break it into two parts, which I would normally do, but didn't because I couldn't find a good spot for the split this time. Originally this chapter, the previous one, and part of the next one were planned to be a single chapter. I blame the banter between Mikey's Angels. :-? But yeah, I DO intend to keep up with this better; probably via shorter installments; part of the problem with this chapter was the length, in addition to figuring out some content. But good to see you're happy about the return. :)

Red:
Ah! I remember you! :) Er, yeah, kind of a bit later in getting it out than I promised, but better late than never. Sorta. :wink:

soloDOTcom1185:
Yeah, Emsworth has the right link, although I think the link he was looking for with the other fanfics that are referenced is the "Reader Submissions" link on the main CM page. Anyways, tell me what you think of it when you get the chance to read it. :)

Lord Emsworth:
You hit the nail on the head with my rationale for keeping this up; of course, we've talked about it before in the past, so no surprise there. :) And even though we've also discussed this chapter, it's still good to hear what you liked about it. My ego works that way. :D

Octapus:
What do you call an eight-legged dog? Eight-Legged Tripod!
OK, that didn't work, but whatever. :) Good to see you're happy about the return.

And...I'm spent. And classes start today. And I have to mail a Gameboy to a friend for his trip to Korea, so I shouldn't spend much more time posting. But thanks again to anybody who commented, or read it and withheld blasting criticisms. :wink:

Peace!
-CJ
CJGarver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby keigh on Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:50 am

Yay for a new LSNBT. I was wondering if it had died, gladly it didn't. And as always you did a great job writing it! So will we have to wait another year for chapter 22?
keigh
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The JAM on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:16 pm

[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.

Yay!! I'm glad I checked out the forum again!! Great work, CJ!!!

Llama?
The JAM
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Niall on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:55 pm

WOOHOO!!

Hearing of a new chapter even obliquely, I had to check...

Wow, reading a new chapter manifests withdrawal symptoms. I missed trying to remain perfectly silent while nearly having apoplectic fits of laughter in my cubicle. THis would be dangerous in the privacy of my own home.

Only a third of the way in, but absolutely uproarious as always. "Ho ho ho" was a keeper...
Niall
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Niall on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:58 am

...you beautiful man you, managing to sneak in my favourite Watership Down quote in there. I'm impressed.

I'm also nearly doubled in laughter.

Please don't take another year for the next chapter. :)
Niall
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fero McPiglet on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:33 am

OMG THERE WAS A NEW CHAPTER AND I DIDN'T KNOW!!! AAAAARGH!!!!

Am reading...

Still reading but had to pause while I got the Win, Lose or DrawAmp joke. LOL!

... also pausing at the Sonic Heroes reference. LOLer!!!

... and I'm done! Well, that was another awesome LSNBT chapter! That fanfic bit with the bombing of the sugar base based on Loxley's fic was just too much! Glad I read that story. (To be fair, all of Loxley's stories were awesome. Yes, I read the Kim boat one. Sorry I didn't leave any feedback :( ). Sara's relationship gymnastics (the way she and Kevin talked and her conclusions about Kevin ((I knew the magazine was there for a reason!)) ) boggled my mind a bit. I know Kevin will prove her wrong, like Michelle says. I just have to wait for the chapter to be written :)

I missed Mikey's presence but the chapter is about his Angels :) Sara was sweet, Michelle was okay and Kim is always a ho...ot. A hoot. Yeah, that's it, a hoot :)

THANKS for the hilarity! Bring on the next chapter! Remember, LSNBT!!! :D
Power to the Piglet!
Fero McPiglet
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to The Class Menagerie