The Thread for those who draw comics themselves

Aspiring model, actress, and star of her own comic strip, it's Tiffany Tiger!

Moderator: The Gneech

Are you drawing/writing a comic?

Nope. I don't have the time or the opportunity
9%
Nope. I have no talent
24%
Yes, I draw art for a furry strip
No votes
Yes, I write for a furry strip.
2%
Yes, I write and draw the art for a furry strip.
22%
Yes, I draw art for a non-furry strip
2%
Yes, I write for a non-furry strip.
2%
Yes, I write and draw the art for a non-furry strip.
9%
Other - post a comment to explain!
29%

Total votes : 45

Re: Hmmm... pianos, you say?

Postby Won-Tolla on Wed May 28, 2003 6:10 pm

Weeeeelaaaaaah! wrote:
allan_ecker wrote:Advice: If you can draw inorganic stuff, draw inorganic stuff. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of a webcomic based on sentient grand pianos sounds hysterical.

Tell you what: you write the dialogue, I'll draw the pianos. ;)

-Weeeeelaaaaaah!

You know what would be REALLY wild? A strip about grand pianos "speaking" in the language of music! (i.e. notes)
With a bit of tinkering each strip could be made an image map, so when you click on a line of notes you hear the music. ;) Maybe it could be done in Flash...

As for my own creations, I don't draw much but I get strange ideas now and then. Some times I even write them down and put them on the web for everyone to see.

This is pretty old though. I've got a newer scenario I've been playing a bit with of late, and for those who never tried it, it can be a pretty fascinating experience just to sit and go through scenes in your mind and watch new things pop up. (I even managed to overwrite a scene until it didn't fit in with the rest of the story. Oh well. And sorry, I can't explain that scene without telling you most of the story!)
Won-Tolla
Keenspot Despot

Postby xenotarsosaurus on Wed May 28, 2003 6:53 pm

Nekomimikun wrote:But, whether or not I have artisitc or writing ability has yet to be seen, determined, or really decided upon. But, that's because I have no self-esteem.

Aw, I still love ya!
"You, Never?"..."Did the Kenosha kid?"
Pointing out cliches? That's so cliche!!
xenotarsosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Litho on Thu May 29, 2003 4:17 am

<Litho sits down to type the rest of the assignment that's due in tomorrow and to proofread and re-write another one for someone else.>

"Gotta hate being loved"

<He checks out his thread and giggles like a little girl at the compliments for his comic then gets back to work.>

"So much to do. All is so VERY busy.

Love."
...Dream. In Dream... nothing is as it seems.
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

No, no pianos. Sorry.

Postby Weeeeelaaaaaah! on Thu May 29, 2003 5:54 am

Sorry, but I really don't think the whole piano thing would work.
If you can read this whole post, and still think a piano comic is a good idea, you have way to much time on your hands.

The way I see it, a comic only needs to convey three things in the art of its characters: Who it is, what it is, what its doing, and how it feels. Look at Dilbert; he looks almost, but not entirely, unlike a human. Yet it remains one of the most popular comics in the world. Why?
1. You know its Dilbert when you look at him. He's always the same tube-headed, ball-haired, mouthless potato-shaped figure. So, consistency counts more than anything in my book. You want to be recognizable.
2. You get the vague idea he's probably human, most likely male. That's all you need. Many comics, you only know the character's not human. That's enough, too.
3. When Dilbert has a screwdriver in his hand, he's tinkering with hardware. When he sits in front of computer-shaped lumps, he's typing. That's all you really care about; the dialogue takes care of the rest.
4. You can tell, mostly through glasses and body language, how he feels. (okay, so not so well with Dilbert, but I'm not changing my example now.)
So, we've established that the art in a comic actually requires relatively little. (Don't believe me still? Read GPF, Mayberry Melonpool, Little Gamers, Boxjam... in all, the artistic *realism* is... questionable.)

So, why not pianos? You could tell what they were, and it would be easy enough to create recognisable, distinguishable characters, but conveying action and emotion would be near impossible. At the very least, it would require "animating" the pianos, flexing them into human-like body language poses. If I could do that, I would just draw the people. When I say all I can draw is inanimate objects, I mean it. If you want them sentient, they are no longer inanimate, yesh?

I know, I know, I'm taking this a little to literally and a bit to seriously, but I think this is characteristic of most of the budding comic - artists I've seen. They think if they can't draw a picture-perfect (or at least Manga-perfect) person, they can't do a comic. Not true. I would reccomend to most (and yes, to Litho, too, despite my previous high-praises) that they tone down the quality and detail. It actually starts to get in the way. The flow of the word ballons is actually more important than the character's poses to enjoying a comic, so until the two can 'get along', just focus on the dialogue.

This is what makes some comics (IMHO, like MegaTokyo and, of course, SJ) fun to read. Look at Today's comic. In panel two, half the thing is a world balloon. The other half is very small and undetailed characters. But, we know them by shape and color, and we can see very clear body language, especially in everybody's favorite over-expressive 'roo. Detail isn't unimportant, but expression and recognition is more important. So, to re-iterate; if I could draw an expressive piano, well, I could and would draw and expressive person!

(Oh, yeah, I'm on a ranting roll! <:)

Now take a look at this comic, by Litho (deepest apologies Litho, I really do love your work, but I needed someone to pick on, and you involuntarily volunteered. I actually had to nit-pick a bit to find an example of what I'm talking about.) The comic is in four main panels. The first is alright. If the characters were on the other side of each other, it would be easier to read, but let that go. Meanwhile, in panels 2 and 3, which are next to each other, we have three word balloons, meant to be read (if numbered left-to-right) 2-3-1. This would be fine, except balloon 1 comes from panel one, but is meant to be read last. Kinda confusing. The vertical offset of the balloons helps, but the vertical-before-horizontal rule of reading word balloons only applies within a single panel. If 2 and 3 were a single panel, it would make more sense, but for the obvious change of distance perspective between the two. Panel 4 takes some work to associate balloons with characters, but it's less important what order they're read in, so again, let that go. I could probably start typing gibberish at this point, this is truly a rediculously long post. 'specially for someone with only 2 other posts to his name. Yet, I press on. This also brings up simplicity of dialogue. Dialogue needs to be as minimalist as possible. You are still working in a graphic medium. Whatever can be portrayed by body language alone, should be. Work on the scrips, make them exactly what you think you would hear, but with as little back-and-forth banter as possible (it's a headache to follow), trying to keep as few characters talking per panel as possible. Piro, of Megatokyo fame, often mentioned in his rant about fine-tuning the dialogue of a comic *after* posting! He's very dedicated to the creation of the best possible wording for his characters, making his comic a joy to read (yeah, I know, it dosn't hurt that it looks incredible, too.)

So, if you didn't already, you now know the *real* reason I don't draw a webcomic. I'm really just a critic at heart! >:)

-Weeeeelaaaaaah!
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
SJ++ TG++ CA+ A+ Con+ Wens+++ Leo++ Wolf! Roo+++ MB Fan Fury++ Wally/Conrad Shipper
Weeeeelaaaaaah!
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Litho on Thu May 29, 2003 6:39 am

<Litho reads this last post.>

"Hmmm."

<His disatisfaction is oddly obvious.>

"Despite the fact that I'm inclined to agree, and that the dialogue in that comic is fairly hard to follow, I still feel the need to respond."

<Litho frowns.>

"Because you are in escence, completely correct, I will not destroy you, however, I do feel the need to insult you. You irritate me. Mostly because you've cottoned on to the things in my work that I dislike the most and made them public.

Hmmmm... Suck on it Weeeeelaaaaaah!"

"Oh yeah,

Love."

<Litho stalks off.>
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Erhm... Uh...

Postby Weeeeelaaaaaah! on Thu May 29, 2003 7:28 am

Blast my critical ways!
Well, again, my apologies...

Litho, believe me, I wouldn't criticize but for the fact that I love your work.

I'm sorry, it wasn't very nice to criticize your work like that, but thank you most graciously for not destroying me. That sounds painful. :cry:

In the interest of fairness, here are two comics by Litho that are arranged with excellent flow and structure!
I Hate Sport (also about the funniest thing I've read in a while. And oh, I so agree. :wink:)
Doctor's Appointment #1 And don't forget, Keenspotters, click the double right arrow at the bottom of the page to continue the harrowing Doctor's Appointment Saga!

Haha! Two compliments for one criticism? Erhm?

:( [Welah humbly begs forgiveness?] :(
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
SJ++ TG++ CA+ A+ Con+ Wens+++ Leo++ Wolf! Roo+++ MB Fan Fury++ Wally/Conrad Shipper
Weeeeelaaaaaah!
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby allan_ecker on Thu May 29, 2003 7:54 am

You know, it hadn't occurred to me, but most comic artists doing a comic about sentient pianos would animate them, now, wouldn't they?

But, you don't have to.

Premise:

A pair of pianos "live" in a house together and make witty repartee about being pianos for a while. They never show emotion, (always static pianos with no line alterations) but the camera angles are often shifted to create the -impression- that they might. Occasionally, they get moved from one location to another; they could end up as travelling pianos. This gives you the opportunity to draw trucks moving through various cityscapes and ironic twists of fate could happen, like one saying how nice it'll be to go out to a classy resteraunt to play but they end up in some south-side Jazz establishment. Or something. You'd have to make a pair of pianos that were easily distinguishable from one another and give them contrasting personalities. That much is almost obvious.
allan_ecker
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby darter9000 on Thu May 29, 2003 8:33 am

I'm writing two stories... but the person that's drawing them hasn't started for... too long...
"Why be content with one nation when I can have them all?" <i>- CEO of Darcon Industries</i><br>"Help Wanted: Someone that won't mind interdimensional travel." <i>- CEO of Darcon Industries</i><br>*Now taking requests for song rewriting...* - Management
darter9000
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Won-Tolla on Thu May 29, 2003 9:13 am

As the pink piano tried to suggest before I got tired of editing this graphic, a piano strip might just work if there was a point with the characters being pianos. And if someone actually tried drawing them in different ways rather than just grab two thumbnails from Google as I did. ;)
Of course the pianos would need a world to be moved around in, so just drawing pianos wouldn't work. And I suspect that if there were other characters in the strip as well the focus would invariably drift away from the pianos...

[EDIT: The original graphic had a glitch in it that I didn't bother with fixing. Now I'm moving a lot of graphics to a new site, I'm using that as an excuse for repairing the file before moving it. So now you can finally see the whole strip in all its maninglessness!]
Last edited by Won-Tolla on Sun May 09, 2004 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Won-Tolla
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tacar_The_Tiger on Thu May 29, 2003 9:35 am

RandomScribe wrote:Tacar, your comic is good--very dramatic. Although if might be cool if you used a more archaic-looking font or gave the text boxes some sort of border.

Well those are more of a prelimary than anything else. I need to find paper where the texture of said paper doesnt show up on a scanner. I need to buy a rapidograph inking pen, and I want to buy the "how to draw Manga" book/books. I hope those things will let me do better.

Oh I may also have to get something resembling a desk. Since at current I draw on my lap. :P
Tacar_The_Tiger
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Neko_Tenshi on Thu May 29, 2003 6:22 pm

I'm working on something that I started a couple of months ago. I had all these cool ideas for a comic, then I got artists block, then recovered again, only to realize that I can't build a web page to save my life! I'll probably post links or some other form of shameless advertising when I figure out how to build a website to put it on.
It's got chicken legs! err...meow.
Neko_Tenshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Won-Tolla on Thu May 29, 2003 7:39 pm

Neko_Tenshi wrote:I can't build a web page to save my life!

*throws Neko a life preserver*

I can! Let me know if you need a paw.

I'll probably post links or some other form of shameless advertising when I figure out how to build a website to put it on.

One simple way would be to put the address in your forum profile, then it shows a link every time you post. (Check under this post for an example. It's the button with the cute little house. And if you follow the link you even get a free sample of my web skills. ;))
Won-Tolla
Keenspot Despot

Re: Erhm... Uh...

Postby Litho on Thu May 29, 2003 7:44 pm

Weeeeelaaaaaah! wrote:Haha! Two compliments for one criticism? Erhm?

:( [Welah humbly begs forgiveness?] :(

<Litho glares at whelah down the length of his nose. He has his usual, stone-like expression upon his face now. He reveals no emotion.>

"Hm."

<He breathes in deeply and lets it out in a long sigh.>

"Very well. You are forgiven."

<Litho flashes a brief smile to show his sincerity then turns back to packing his bags.>

"Big trip home for the weekend. Gotta grab clothes and all my study materials.... What's the weather like there I wonder? Probably raining.. It's been raining here for the last few days and Hervey Bay always gets Brisbane weather like two days afterwards."

<Litho glances back before leaving completely, remembering something;>

"Love."
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby veleno on Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:10 am

Won-Tolla wrote:
Neko_Tenshi wrote:I can't build a web page to save my life!

*throws Neko a life preserver*

I can! Let me know if you need a paw.

I'll probably post links or some other form of shameless advertising when I figure out how to build a website to put it on.

One simple way would be to put the address in your forum profile, then it shows a link every time you post. (Check under this post for an example. It's the button with the cute little house. And if you follow the link you even get a free sample of my web skills. ;))

Well, as for not being able to make websites.....is it just a lack of knowign how to write html (in which case i'd recommend going to http://www.htmlgoodies.com ) or just that ya have trouble coming up with an origional design?
veleno
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Neko_Tenshi on Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:04 pm

Well, it's a little of both really. But MOSTLY its just that I don't know html.
It's got chicken legs! err...meow.
Neko_Tenshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Checking up on things.

Postby Kellogg on Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:41 pm

Tacar_The_Tiger wrote:
Litho wrote:(Who's seen "Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy"?)

Um.. we've all read Tiffarella, Queen of the Galaxy! :D

Actually, I didn't read it... But, I did write and draw it... :o

Scott (thinks he qualifies as a furry comic strip cartoonist) Kellogg

PS. have you all seen the high res version I did, where I manged
to correct the coloring errors? :)
http://www.hirezfox.com/21cf/tiffarella/d/20030401.html
Scott Kellogg
Welcome to the year 2066:
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades 8)
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tacar_The_Tiger on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:10 am

Scratch that first link I put up as page one to my comic. Go http://www.deviantart.com/view/2064701 instead. I put a little more time, effort, money, and patientce into it this time. And found a desk to work at. :3
Tacar_The_Tiger
Keenspotter Supreme

Stuff to show off!

Postby Litho on Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:05 am

<Litho breaks from study to show people his latest work, one that he's rather proud of.>

"Tada!"

<Litho gestures to the link.>

Imagehttp://home.speedynet.aunz.com/litho/Sketchbook/Gloom-sml.jpg

"Love."
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IAmMe UK on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:11 am

:o Very impressive..... me like :D

I love the way it all blends together, wish I could do that but I'm one of the "nope, I have no talent" brigade
IAmMe UK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BlackTigr on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:29 am

Nice work, Litho. Plan to ink it?

--BT
BlackTigr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Reptilian Psyche on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:53 am

I've actually started my own comic recently (yay!). It's based on the short time that I worked in a restaurant as both bus boy and server, so I have plenty of materail to work with :wink: . Right now, the characters are human, but as my skills improve, I intend to convert them into furries which should make for even more hijinks and shenanegins.

Eventually though, I have a furries series that I'm going to create that partially based on some of my own life experiences and life in general...I'm thinking of calling it Blue Collared, since most the characters would be blue collar working folks.
Maintaining a questionable grip on Reality
Reptilian Psyche
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fallwind on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:34 am

just... wow.
I cant say that things will be better if we change; what I can say is that we must change for them to get better
Fallwind
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Won-Tolla on Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:06 pm

Reptilian Psyche wrote:I've actually started my own comic recently (yay!).

Cool. Remember to put the N in "adventures" next time. ;)
(Or is it intentional? "Adventures without an N"...)

Right now, the characters are human, but as my skills improve, I intend to convert them into furries which should make for even more hijinks and shenanegins.

Are you just going to start drawing them differently, or will they be changed by some kind of event in the story? Or haven't you decided yet?
Won-Tolla
Keenspot Despot

Postby Litho on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:42 pm

BlackTigr wrote:Nice work, Litho. Plan to ink it?

--BT

Hmmmm, Probably not. It looks lovely in pencil.

Love.
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nekomimikun on Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:36 pm

That's really nice work. I like how it's a full page without panels. It's an interesting and original effect.
I'd rather not see it inked, though. I'm a fan of pencil sketch style.
Nekomimikun
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to The Suburban Jungle