The Thread for those who draw comics themselves

Aspiring model, actress, and star of her own comic strip, it's Tiffany Tiger!

Moderator: The Gneech

Are you drawing/writing a comic?

Nope. I don't have the time or the opportunity
9%
Nope. I have no talent
24%
Yes, I draw art for a furry strip
No votes
Yes, I write for a furry strip.
2%
Yes, I write and draw the art for a furry strip.
22%
Yes, I draw art for a non-furry strip
2%
Yes, I write for a non-furry strip.
2%
Yes, I write and draw the art for a non-furry strip.
9%
Other - post a comment to explain!
29%

Total votes : 45

The Thread for those who draw comics themselves

Postby Litho on Tue May 27, 2003 11:03 pm

Well, Somewhere along the lines, in the character Q&A thread, someone suggested to me that someone should set up a thread for those of us who draw/write/whatever our own comics. I thought "Hey, why not?"

And here it is. :)

This is where you can (and I quote,) "discuss ideas and complain about how we can never find enough time to draw... "

I'll start off by saying "Damn, With my heavy Uni schedule, I never find enough time to draw!" :roll:

OK, no seriously, if you've got a furry or not-furry comic that you're working on, I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would too. I'm gonna try and post here again as soon as I finally update my site so that there's at least a few comics on it.

Peace, Out.

PS: Cute boys forever! :D
Last edited by Litho on Tue May 27, 2003 11:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
...Dream. In Dream... nothing is as it seems.
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Litho on Tue May 27, 2003 11:29 pm

Wow, That's fairly amazing, My site's up... not finished yet, but the comic's there!

Here's the Addy: http://home.speedynet.aunz.com/litho/Index.htm

Enjoy. :D
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby call_me_nny on Wed May 28, 2003 2:07 am

I always have plenty of ideas/jokes/storylines for comics, but I'm not talented enough to draw them. :( Now that school is out, I actually have the time to work on my drawing abilities, so maybe that'll change. Of course, I no longer have access to a scanner, but that's probably a good thing.

During my freshman year of high-school, I made a comic about a witch/psychopath in colonial America called "Unholy Agatha". The characters were horribly drawn (funny how some things never change), but it gave me an excuse to sketch weapons (which I'm fairly decent at) and make bad jokes (like using gallows as swing-sets, and 'burying the hatchet'). I stopped drawing it after I discovered ChoppingBlock and JtHM. (I decided the world didn't need another serial-killer based comic. And yes, I admit to being in need of therapy.)

A few weeks ago, I got bored and tried to draw something resembling a furry comic. The cat's face lost some detail when I scanned it. :( I'm not bursting with pride over it, but it could have been worse.
http://www.geocities.com/loki_the_snow_lion/comic.html
*EDIT: trying a different link*
Feel free to criticize. There's nothing bad you can say about it that I haven't already heard. ("Is that supposed to be a monkey?" "NO! It's a cat!") :x
Last edited by call_me_nny on Wed May 28, 2003 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."
--Jack Handy
call_me_nny
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tacar_The_Tiger on Wed May 28, 2003 2:14 am

Other.

I have an idea for a comic, but my current art skill is really lacking.

But I have noticed in every webcomic the art seems to go through a transformation halfway through, so I may go ahead to hope for a similar result.

Here is the first page of my comic btw

http://www.geocities.com/tacartiger/comic_1.jpg

copy n paste into url bar.
Tacar_The_Tiger
Keenspotter Supreme

Checking up on things.

Postby Litho on Wed May 28, 2003 3:26 am

<Litho wanders over to his computer to type the assignment he's been putting off for the last two weeks... and to a certain degree, the month and a half before that. He checks his mail and is suprised to find that someone's replied to his posts on the SJ forums. He goes to check it out. Once there he finds that there have been a couple of votes on the poll, bringing the statistics to a new level of accuracy (still mathematically poor sadly) and more interestingly that a couple of people've commented.>

"Hmmm, what's this then?"

<He follows the link that nny posted but finds that it leads to a server not found variety of error. He sighs theatrically and looks at the next comment.>

"Hmmm, very true, very true. Many many comics suddenly improve half way through the drawing of them... I can see it in my own comic and there's only four pages to it yet (of course those four pages have been very slowly drawn over several months, and my abilities have indeed increased dramatically over this time.)"

<Litho starts looking for train timetables so he can go home for the weekend too.... He also considers scanning the small comic (of furry nature) he drew in Pathology today... but suspects the reference to hypogonadalism may either firghten readers or just go over their heads.>

Love.

(Who's seen "Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy"?)
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Checking up on things.

Postby Tacar_The_Tiger on Wed May 28, 2003 3:36 am

Litho wrote:(Who's seen "Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy"?)

Um.. we've all read Tiffarella, Queen of the Galaxy! :D
Tacar_The_Tiger
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Gneech on Wed May 28, 2003 3:50 am

Well, there are very few things that will improve your artwork as fast as drawing fifty square inches of comic every day for a year...

-The Gneech 8)
http://www.suburbanjungle.com - The life, loves, and career of aspiring supermodel and ferocious predator, Tiffany Tiger

NeverNever - The story of the faeries at war with humanity, and of the humans who just don't notice
The Gneech
Keenspot Despot

Location: I'm usually at work, except when I'm not, but I'm at work then, too.

Postby nslashk on Wed May 28, 2003 4:46 am

Drawing's for suckers. I make my comic [see .sig] by tracing and then slightly altering the words/content so I can't be sued.
n/k
Coming this Fall to scoop the furry market right out from under The Gneech, it's n/k's "Bourbon Bungle"!
Needle & Thread: There's a party goin' on at the local church hall, you know people do it - all you gotta do is call; Leave your lonely room and you'd seize the day, but you put on the ABC and foxtrot your chance away.
nslashk
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby allan_ecker on Wed May 28, 2003 5:56 am

Heh. Lots of writer/artists doing comics. Maybe we should make a get-together thread for writers and artists so they can make comics together?

The Gneech sure is right; nothing forces you to develop art skills like drawing a comic week in week out. I can now draw better than a chicken!
allan_ecker
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hikaru-kun on Wed May 28, 2003 6:21 am

I completely cheat. Being unable to draw for crap, I steal my art (with permission :lol:) and use it to make new strips. Cut & Past Theater takes characters from different strips and puts 'em together outside of their normal genra.

Unfortunately, C&P suffers from a lack of useable character icons and my lack of time since it started. I do plan on starting it up again, but I just don't know when.

Of course, it really wouldn't hurt if I could get a wider selection of comics to snarf from.

Cheers
The color behind The Suburban Jungle
Hikaru-kun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Thelonius02 on Wed May 28, 2003 7:25 am

I have no artistic talent. So I draw comics with stick people, and I believe they are duly hilarious. They feature two guys named Julian and Thelonius*. I'd love to post some strips, but I have no scanner.

*As you can tell, I have an affinity for the name Thelonius. "What's up with that?" you ask, scratching your head in a nonplussed fashion. I use the name Thelonius as a salute to legendary jazz pianist Thelonius Monk.
Thelonius02
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Oooh! Pretty Pictures!

Postby Weeeeelaaaaaah! on Wed May 28, 2003 7:36 am

Ah, how I love to draw.
Ah, how I lack the skill for a comic.

Seriously, I draw all the time -- But I can't draw anything organic. I'm stricly limited to inanimate (preferrably geometric) shapes. I love textures and curves and shadows and depth and perspective and all that fun stuff...
... but my people look funny. Not in a funny-ha-ha way, but a funny-that-guy-looks-like-a-deformed-Gollum way. So, I stick to my grand pianos. (Yesh, I have an unreasonable number of sketches of grand pianos. They're fun.) But, I still *want* to draw a webcomic. My dream is to add one to my webcam (no, I'm probably not there, but my roomie might be) to make the niftiest cross-media site this side of Alpha Centauri. (Hey, I just can't compete with those Alpha Centaurians)

Anyway, Litho, neat stuff! I've so far looked, I believe, at every sketch in your gallery, and enjoyed the trip. :lol:
Okay, so I actually liked your little stick-ish figure narrator-critic guy the best, but that's beside the point. You've got some fine sketchin', and I would know, after all, I draw some pretty stinkin' nice pianos. :P

Upon the completion of my perusal, I had to say, I loved these two:
The cute / tuff angelic fellow and the
Funny Narrator dude meets Malignant Carcinoma Mutant.
Forgive me if you had better titles. <g> I hope you keep updating the comic.

-Weeeeelaaaaaah!
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
SJ++ TG++ CA+ A+ Con+ Wens+++ Leo++ Wolf! Roo+++ MB Fan Fury++ Wally/Conrad Shipper
Weeeeelaaaaaah!
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby trpeal on Wed May 28, 2003 10:34 am

I'll echo the sentiments of The Gneech and Allan in saying that the best way to get better at drawing is to draw. A lot. In his autobiography Chuck Amuck, Chuck Jones quoted one of his art-school teachers as saying "All of you have one hundred thousand bad drawings in you. The sooner you get rid of them, the better it will be for everyone."

As someone who hadn't drawn in years before I made the rash and reckless decision to start a webcomic, I had lots of bad drawings to get out. And they tended to show up in my earliest strips. After three years I've still got a long ways to go, but I also know that I'm a lot further along than I was three years ago.
Matt
Fight Cast Or Evade
Swords, sorcery, and bushy tails.
trpeal
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BlackTigr on Wed May 28, 2003 12:50 pm

Hey, Weeeeeeelah. Once I get moved down to Westland, if ya wanna meet me and mah bf at Pinball Pete's, we could hang out a bit.

--BT
(Any excuse to go to A^2...)
BlackTigr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby allan_ecker on Wed May 28, 2003 1:15 pm

Advice: If you can draw inorganic stuff, draw inorganic stuff. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of a webcomic based on sentient grand pianos sounds hysterical.
allan_ecker
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IAmMe UK on Wed May 28, 2003 1:23 pm

allan_ecker wrote:Advice: If you can draw inorganic stuff, draw inorganic stuff. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of a webcomic based on sentient grand pianos sounds hysterical.

:o Grand Piano's of the world unite!! Overthrow the opressors and create a world where pianos can live in perfect harmony :lol: :lol:
IAmMe UK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby xenotarsosaurus on Wed May 28, 2003 1:26 pm

I had to vote other. I am currently drawing and writing a comic strip, which currently has three story arcs planned all the way until the end of the comic itself...this comic is a furry comic. I've been consulting Shepherdwolf with my ideas, and he has been encouraging me (he's so sweet :D ) to get off my lazy butt, buy a scanner, and put the comic online (he says he likes my art!). The story deals with homophobia, genocide, mental health, and religion in a fictional post-modern setting (thanks to Shep).
On the back burner are three stories, with the second story being the next one I will focus on. It deals with terrorism, ethics, big buisnesses, ecology, bioethics, environmentalism, and social distress. I hope to get to it one day. It's semi-furry, in that it has genetically engineered transgenic humans with normal people and robots (it isn't as bad as it sounds!!!!!!).
So, the next step is to redo some of the earlier comics in the first series, and the step after that is to get a scanner, then a domain.
If anybody is still actually reading my post, wish me luck :)
"You, Never?"..."Did the Kenosha kid?"
Pointing out cliches? That's so cliche!!
xenotarsosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Hmmm... pianos, you say?

Postby Weeeeelaaaaaah! on Wed May 28, 2003 2:04 pm

allan_ecker wrote:Advice: If you can draw inorganic stuff, draw inorganic stuff. I don't know about everyone else, but the idea of a webcomic based on sentient grand pianos sounds hysterical.

Tell you what: you write the dialogue, I'll draw the pianos. ;)

-Weeeeelaaaaaah!
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
SJ++ TG++ CA+ A+ Con+ Wens+++ Leo++ Wolf! Roo+++ MB Fan Fury++ Wally/Conrad Shipper
Weeeeelaaaaaah!
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby JoeBBWolf on Wed May 28, 2003 2:42 pm

Well, I'm not exactly drawing a comic STRIP, more like a comic BOOK.

I'm planning a Comic miniseries (18 issues) revolving around my experiences being born and raised in and around a local community theatre. It's got lots of Romance, and is quite furry (Though later in the series a non-anthro dog comes into the picture). Mostly it's about this dinky theatre in Seattle, and it follows it's inhabitants through their romantic misadventures with Psycho ex-boyfriends, Curses, and a poor Bi wolfie gets lots of nosebleeds. Lots of theatre humor, and Lots of Anime shtick (Cuz' it's fun).

Also, I can almost garauntee that noone will ever pick it up, and i'll just end up posting it on the Internet, megatokyo style (Not that that's a bad thing, as Megatokyo is now coming out in book form.)

Eventually, my big dream is to have my comic adapted into a cartoon series, and then maybe a Cartoon movie musical! ::Stars appear in eyes:: I have pretty big dreams... but hey... aim for the moon, land among the stars and all that. Plus I may pull it off, I'm still young.

(I like talking about my Comic stuff, It's Therapudic...)

Also in my Repetoir is a Sci-fi melodrama involving cool fight scenes (Which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to draw) and super powers. And then theres the fun Giant robot story, poking fun at many "serious" Giant robot Anime. (I'm still workin' on the Mech, But I'm getting better).

Sorry for talking your ear off... Or typing... or... Whatever...
JoeBBWolf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Grendelwulf on Wed May 28, 2003 2:52 pm

I have an idea for a fantasy furry gun-toting comic, but I'm currently working on my drawing skills so it won't look like complete and utter pooh. Oh the ultraviolence and that will be done when I get better at drawing! Oh, and gay wolves too. Lots of em. Well, two. :)
Grendelwulf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Litho on Wed May 28, 2003 2:59 pm

<Litho wakes up and is suprised to see yet more responses to his thread. He looks at his watch and wails!>

"Aieeee! I'm late! I'll NEVER get to Uni on time! ALL IS LOST!"

<ten minutes later, Litho checks the time again and realises that he's not actually late.>

"Hang on a minute... Man, how the heck did I think that I was late?"

<He actually now goes and reads the posts on the forum.>

"Hey everyone!

JoeBBWolf wrote: And then theres the fun Giant robot story, poking fun at many "serious" Giant robot Anime. (I'm still workin' on the Mech, But I'm getting better).

HA! I wanna do one of those... that'd be hilarious!

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed with the response to this thread, Go art-peeps!

Love."
Litho
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cosmoseon on Wed May 28, 2003 4:26 pm

I draw a strip every once in a while on a series I'm toying with, don't have enough material built up yet to actually put it up, and I still put WAY too much detail into a single panel(Four hours, one three inch by three inch panel, you can tell what model Mac the protagonist is if you look with a magnifying glass...), and I'm still working on drawing perspective.
/*-----Begin SJ Code-----*/
SJ+++ SJ? SJ! TGM+++ CA! CA+++ A+ Tiff+++ Con+++ LEO!+++ Spot+++ Wolf+++ MB Fan++ Furs! Fury!+++ TiL CfD DzW Fa+++ Fur!++++E Yin+++
/*------End SJ Code------*/
Cosmoseon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RandomScribe on Wed May 28, 2003 4:27 pm

Well, here goes: Litho, I looked at your comic. Very nice--keep working on it! Tacar, your comic is good--very dramatic. Although if might be cool if you used a more archaic-looking font or gave the text boxes some sort of border. Just an idea. And I have to say that I have yet to find a webcomic in which the artwork hasn't improved significantly over time...

Weeeeelaaaaaah, I have to agree that you should do a comic about pianos. It was the first thing I thought when I read your post. JoeBBWolf, you should definitely make that comic. The world needs more comics that take place in theaters (drama geeks unite!). Giant robots are cool... too bad I can't draw them. At all. Ever.

Aaaanyway, my problem is mostly settling on any one idea to make into a comic. I always come up with a concept I like and flesh it out with characters, story arcs, jokes, and such, and then get bored and abandon the whole project before I actually ever draw anything... not having a whole lot of free time doesn't help, either. My latest idea is to do a comic in the form of a documentary about a band of fantasy characters who were once famous but are now somewhat past their prime. I call it... "This is Spinal Fantasy."

But really, other than the name, I like the idea, if only because I don't think it's ever really been done before... It wouldn't be furry, though, since I initially imagined the characters as humans, and for some reason it strikes me as more of a non-furry comic anyways.

My other idea is to create a website where I work on several of my ideas at once, and call the whole project "Third Person Ltd.", a name I've wanted to use since I first heard the term in freshman English class...

So... yeah. Keep drawing, everyone!

--RS, who is partially responsible for the creation of this thread
RandomScribe
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nekomimikun on Wed May 28, 2003 4:41 pm

I picked "other" and this is my response

I write and draw a quasi/semi/demi/hemi-furry strip. But, whether or not I have artisitc or writing ability has yet to be seen, determined, or really decided upon. But, that's because I have no self-esteem.
Nekomimikun
Keenspot Despot

Postby mooncat on Wed May 28, 2003 4:48 pm

I've done a guest strip.
(and it was published. Squee :))
Such is the extent of my comic strip experience.
mooncat the Chelioness-Two cats for the price of one!
mywebpages.comcast.net/chelion
Celebrate Freedom. Read a banned book.
SJ code=SJ+++ TG++ CA++ A+ Tiff+ Con+ Leo+++ Spot++ Wolf++ Lna++ MB Fan Fa+++ Fury+++
mooncat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to The Suburban Jungle