Partially Clips rips off Bruno

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Partially Clips rips off Bruno

Postby Halgarr on Fri May 11, 2007 10:15 am

I love the comic strip "Partially Clips," but this strip does a joke that was done here years before:

--Scott
Halgarr
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShardZ on Sat May 12, 2007 8:47 am

Huh. It may be a rip-off (but it could have been a common cop-out even before Ian did it).

Still, that one can't hold a candle to Ian's version, in my humble opinion. It's somehow bland and overly-wordy at the same time. Or it's just that I can't stand "talking heads" comics, and feel that in Bruno, you don't even have to be a regular reader to figure out what the "story" is supposed to be. (Well, the talking micro-dragon might require some foreknowledge...)
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

ShardZ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers and eldritch vapors.

Postby Ian McDonald on Mon May 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Erm, as flattering as it might be to think that Rob Balder may have, er "borrowed" one of my ideas, I'm willing to bet he may have come up with it on his own. You see, shortly after "Story Title" ran, I got an e-mail accusing me of ripping off a Zippy comic strip, which used the exact same type of gimmick. I swear I did not see said strip prior to drawing "Story Title". As far as I knew, I came up with the idea on my own. That said, I'm not surprised that someone came up with the gimmick before me, and I'm willing to bet it's been done many times prior to the Zippy strip.

The "self-descriptive word balloons" gimmick strikes me as being a sort of cousin to the "breaking the fourth wall" gimmick. Not quite as common, but I can't claim I'm the first to do it. And I doubt Rob Balder will be the last.

Adieu!
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Freak on Sun May 20, 2007 7:12 am

See also (well, hear also) "Title of the Song", by Da Vinci's Notebook.
Freak
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Bruno The Bandit