Kudos to the Colorist

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Kudos to the Colorist

Postby AisA on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:11 am

Lynn...
Just wanted to say the color on the latest strip is really sharp; one of your best yet. Well done.

Can I ask how long it takes you to do one strip, on average?
AisA
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lynn on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Wow... thanks.

The color work averages, I'd say, an hour and a half per strip. Some are as short as an hour, but that's pretty rare, and some are monster marathons, like the one with the fight scene from 26 Oct, last year, which was about 4 1/2 hours. Double length strips usually take twice as long, obviously.

I'm hoping recent equipment improvement may speed me up some. And, not that most people notice or care, but I've played a fair amount with compression and scaling methods to make the strips more clear overall, while still keeping the file sizes at the requested 100K per single strip.

After more than a year as colorist on Bruno, I'm still having fun with it. That's always a good thing.
Lynn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:53 pm

you know, i don't even think much about the color now, it seems just so much a part of the strip - but since we should have said something on your anniversary, i'll do so now - thanks! glad you're around!
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Lynn on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:15 pm

Maybe this will remind you what the color does. :)

By the way, Ian, if you don't want the original art posted, feel free to let me know, and I'll take it down.
Lynn
Keenspotter Supreme

Yes!

Postby Halgarr on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:27 am

This is better colored than any other webstrip I know. You're doing a great job!
Halgarr
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:38 pm

no, no, i know what color does - i meant, the coloring now seems like such an intrinsic part of the strip. like the speech balloons, or something - it's just supposed to be there.

if that makes any sense....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Lynn on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Yep. I know what you mean, mouse, and thanks.

Thanks to you too, Halgarr.

I appreciate that every week Ian busts his butt to get me great artwork to work from, and try to do what I can to elevate it to what degree I can.

And, I'm really glad you guys appreciate the effort that we both (Ian certainly more than me) put into the strip.
Lynn
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Bruno The Bandit