Dibunquer to the rescue

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Dibunquer to the rescue

Postby sun tzu on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:02 am

I'll admit it, I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about friday's strip.
Now, Dibunquer isn't a character we've seen very often, but I throughly enjoyed him in previous appearances. And as much as I liked him saving our trio here...His behavior shows a clear regression in his character.
Now, characters in BtB tend to be static. There has been very, very little change in them since their introduction. When has Bruno ever learned a lesson from events? Even Elysia threw away all of her development as soon as she got a chance to become a fame vulture.
Now, Dibunquer seemed like the exception: At the very end of "The Heart of Ahriperson", it appeared that he had actually learned a valuable lesson, and, dare, I say, progressed as a character beyond what he had been introduced as. He accepted not only that his attitude had been counter-productively arrogant and needed to change, but also that his worldview had been incorrect ("magic is powered by belief!").
And now, it looks like not only he has turned his back on that moment of clarity, but actually gone further back - not trying to find counter-evidence, but actively trying to destroy real evidence. And that is very dissapointing from someone like him.
"The problem with History is that it can't have a happy ending." -Ouri Maler.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lynn on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:33 am

It's not a matter of what we've seen him do in the past, it's what happened since then. You know, he's probably been doing conventions for sceptics, been bolstered by fans, and convinced himself that everything he experienced was due to some perfectly logical explanation.

:D
Lynn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby sun tzu on Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:17 am

Lynn wrote:It's not a matter of what we've seen him do in the past, it's what happened since then. You know, he's probably been doing conventions for sceptics, been bolstered by fans, and convinced himself that everything he experienced was due to some perfectly logical explanation.

:D

1)That's exactly what's dissapointing me: character development being thrown to the wind.
2)Um..."Logical explanation" doesn't contradict what we know of the Brunoverse. If that world's laws state that magic can accomplish so-and-so when powered by belief, what's illogical about that - as opposed to other laws stating the existence of gravity?
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ian McDonald on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:59 pm

If Dibunquer has "regressed", it's because, IMHO, I find him funnier this way.

Yes, he knows magic in the Bruno-verse is powered by belief. But he also knows that doubt and skepticism rob magic of its power. It could be he has come to the conclusion that people in the Bruno-verse should rely not on magic, but on science and (his version of) reason.

Sun Tzu, I get the feeling you think I'm knocking skepticism with the Dibunquer strips. I am not. I consider myself a skeptic, in fact. However, I have noticed that some (not all!) skeptics display such an incredible amount of arrogance and contempt for other points of view that it just turns my stomach. Even if one "knows it all", one should not be a jerk about it. No matter what your beliefs, philosophy, whatever, being a jerk about it will only turn people with differing viewpoints off, and perhaps do more harm than good to your own "team", shall we say. In other words, it's the arrogance I'm poking fun at, not the skepticism.

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sun tzu on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:06 am

Ian McDonald wrote:If Dibunquer has "regressed", it's because, IMHO, I find him funnier this way.

Yes, he knows magic in the Bruno-verse is powered by belief. But he also knows that doubt and skepticism rob magic of its power. It could be he has come to the conclusion that people in the Bruno-verse should rely not on magic, but on science and (his version of) reason.

Sun Tzu, I get the feeling you think I'm knocking skepticism with the Dibunquer strips. I am not. I consider myself a skeptic, in fact. However, I have noticed that some (not all!) skeptics display such an incredible amount of arrogance and contempt for other points of view that it just turns my stomach. Even if one "knows it all", one should not be a jerk about it. No matter what your beliefs, philosophy, whatever, being a jerk about it will only turn people with differing viewpoints off, and perhaps do more harm than good to your own "team", shall we say. In other words, it's the arrogance I'm poking fun at, not the skepticism.

Later,
Ian

Well, sure. There are too many jerks and idiots in the world for any denomination/affiliation/whatever to be completely free of them.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Connacek on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:59 pm

ACK! I finally got registered here, I've been dying to say for days:

The idea that doubt can be cast like a spell... sheer magic.
: )
Which has a perfectly rational explanation, I'm sure.
Outback: No rules, just right.
Washington DC: No rights, just rules.
Connacek
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mewtarthio on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Think about it this way:

Dibunquer has just discovered that magic really does exist. His entire life has been based on disproving magic. Therefore, he has now dedicated his life to destroying all magic to create a world in which he is right.

Say, incidentally, wasn't "Heart of Ahriperson" a dream? Or did Bruno only dream he'd dreamt it?
Mewtarthio
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sun tzu on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Mewtarthio wrote:Think about it this way:

Dibunquer has just discovered that magic really does exist. His entire life has been based on disproving magic. Therefore, he has now dedicated his life to destroying all magic to create a world in which he is right.

Say, incidentally, wasn't "Heart of Ahriperson" a dream? Or did Bruno only dream he'd dreamt it?

"Heart of Ahriperson" really happened, but Bruno fantasized about it only being a dream.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Return to Bruno The Bandit