What the....

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

What the....

Postby Einar Lo on Tue May 13, 2003 10:14 pm

Yer know, it's looking ever more like Carlin is actually turned.... what the..... ??????
Image-Einar Lo[color=#FFBB00]
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Location: Cymru, Prydain (That's Wales, Great Britain, boyo!)

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 13, 2003 11:14 pm

be strong Einar... be strong... I'm sure Ian wouldn't really turn Carlin evil, it's a ploy, it HAS to be... and soon I'm sure it'll backfire on Bruno in some wacky way and we can all laugh and say "Boy oh boy, weren't we stupid to believe that Carlin was ACTUALLY evil! Ho ho ho! Hee Hee Hee! Ha ha ha..."
Dmitri
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Limax on Wed May 14, 2003 5:39 am

I'm having a hard time adjusting from the way that Maledict acted in Friday's and Monday's strips as opposed to how he acted in today's strip. It seems a bit odd and rather sudden.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Major Tom on Wed May 14, 2003 6:12 am

Me thinks Ian "Artful Dodger" McDonald has the lot of us a bit jumpy...

...I've noticed that he's been letting us stew in our juices, too (i.e., no recent appearances in the forum)...

...He may actually be more evil than we are.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dragon Fogel on Wed May 14, 2003 3:46 pm

Okay. More rampant speculation. If Carlin really *was* evil all along, why would Xu'Buxx want to trick him into thinking Maledict was his father? I see two possible explanations.

1) Xu'Buxx knew that, somehow, fooling Carlin would cause this transformation.

2) Xu'Buxx didn't *want* Carlin to transform, because then he could open the abyss, giving Bruno the opportunity to toss the crown into it. Somehow, this failed, meaning the defeat of Xu'Buxx is at hand.

In either case, Carlin hasn't been secretly evil from the beginning. I might also point out that he hasn't really *done* anything particularly evil so far, except perhaps tossing Livia into the abyss, and that might be reversible. I think there's good reason to think Ian is just stringing us along.

That said, if I turn out to be wrong, we may have to form an angry mob and storm Ian's castle. Or, if he doesn't have a castle, we all chip in, buy him one, put him in there, and *then* storm it. Although, that probably won't leave much room in the budget for pitchforks and torches...
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis
<A HREF="http://www.brunothebandit.com" TARGET=_blank>Brunatic</A> of the First Order
(Call me Fogel, not Dragon.)
Dragon Fogel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Wed May 14, 2003 4:00 pm

well, it doesn't have to be a big castle - or even a particularly well-made one. in fact, we could probably do some sort of remodel on a mobil home...

but no! ian will get us out of this!

and you're right about carlin not doing anything evil - in fact, i don't think he pushed lydia into the abyss, i think she just was in the wrong place when it opened.

no, i'm holding out for carlin having some trick up his sleeve.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Ian McDonald on Wed May 14, 2003 7:02 pm

Major Tom wrote:Me thinks Ian "Artful Dodger" McDonald has the lot of us a bit jumpy...

...I've noticed that he's been letting us stew in our juices, too (i.e., no recent appearances in the forum)...

...He may actually be more evil than we are.

Who, me? Evil?? :evil:

Ooop! I meant :D ! Really!!

Actually, I've just been super-busy, what with my upcoming trip to California next week, to see my girlfriend. Worry not, next week's strips are all drawn and ready to go!

And if you guys are gonna build me a castle (long overdue, I say), just don't build it on a swamp! See Monty Python and the Holy Grail for details! :D

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Major Tom on Thu May 15, 2003 5:39 am

There he is -- feche le vache!!
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Thu May 15, 2003 12:40 pm

Ah... so he's not avoiding the boards... he's just "busy" :p

Ian, we finally started getting spring-like weather here... you should have a pleasant visit.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Fri May 16, 2003 2:10 pm

Major Tom wrote:There he is -- feche le vache!!

"fetch the cow"?

this has to be the oddest war cry _i've_ ever encountered.

or perhaps you are merely "slinging the bull"?

maledict _is_ behaving a bit oddly - first he's afraid of carlin, now he's ready to do lunch...and since he already knew xu'buxx _was_ carlin's father, why was he surprised when carlin transformed?

good thing those strips are all ready to go, ian - if you'd taken the week off, we would have had to have limax hunt you down....but until then, have fun!
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dragon Fogel on Fri May 16, 2003 5:01 pm

I believe that the Major's comment is a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which Ian mentioned before. I seem to recall something involving the French tossing cows in there, but I don't remember the movie that well.

As for Maledict, I can understand why he'd be surprised by Carlin's transformation. I mean, we would have been just as surprised if Carlin had done that before the psuedo-revelation about Maledict being his actual father. As for why he changed gears so suddenly, that's a good question. Maybe in Wednesday's strip he went off to ask Xu'Buxx what the heck was going on, and Xu'Buxx told him to go back and distract Carlin.

Hopefully, this Monday's strip will finally give us some answers. If it doesn't, maybe Limax can torture them out of Ian.
Dragon Fogel,
<A HREF="http://www.brunothebandit.com" TARGET=_blank>Brunatic</A> of the First Order
Dragon Fogel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Sat May 17, 2003 11:12 am

Dragon Fogel wrote:I believe that the Major's comment is a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which Ian mentioned before. I seem to recall something involving the French tossing cows in there, but I don't remember the movie that well.

ah, yes - they catapulted it.

somehow i suspect ian is slippery enough to dodge a flying cow. still, it might be a worthwhile threat - think of the mess you would have to clean up.....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dunlavy on Sat May 17, 2003 3:06 pm

Remember when the cow stepped on the land mine in the "Three Kings" movie?
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Einar Lo on Sun May 18, 2003 12:18 pm

Dear Ian, until you clerify this, we shall hound you

From morn to afternoon
From afternoon to night
From sev'n o'clock to two
From two to eventide
From dim twilight to 'lev'n at night
From dim twilight to 'lev'n at night
We shall not leave your side!

...I think it may be time for a break from Yeomen...
Image-Einar Lo[color=#FFBB00]
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Location: Cymru, Prydain (That's Wales, Great Britain, boyo!)

Postby mouse on Sun May 18, 2003 12:39 pm

and we'll bring the cow with us.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dragon Fogel on Sun May 18, 2003 2:32 pm

Hmm. So, instead of storming a castle with pitchforks and torches, we'll be storming a shoebox with a cow. Not as dramatic, but I think the accounting department will be happier with the budget for that. I mean, we don't even need to pay for the shoebox, and all we need to get a cow is a handful of magic beans.
Dragon Fogel,
Dragon Fogel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Mon May 19, 2003 12:09 pm

maybe we should bring a goat instead - we could let it eat the shoebox. _that_ would learn him.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Mon May 19, 2003 12:20 pm

have you ever tried to lead a goat out into the middle of an active roadway?? Doesn't work...
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Mon May 19, 2003 12:28 pm

well, it can't be _that_ active, or someone would have run over the shoebox by now. however, i will admit i have little hands-on experience with goats - i will bow to your superior knowledge. (after first ascertaining the location of the goat).
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Return to Bruno The Bandit