Bruno, an animated series...

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Would Bruno the Bandit make a good animated series?

You bet. I'd catch every episode.
50%
I'd catch it when I could.
17%
You kidding me? Have you seen Dilbert?
8%
Yes I have... and Dilbert is good.
17%
I hate Dunlavy. I hope he falls off his balcony.
8%

Total votes : 12

Bruno, an animated series...

Postby Dunlavy on Wed May 07, 2003 3:11 am

Hmmm... this comic is so full of twists and turns. It occurs to me that, should Ian ever rightfully "make-it-big," Bruno the Bandit would make a delightful Saturday morning series.

The signs of a good animated series are here: a flowing, consistent storyline and a persistent universe of the same characters, places, things, etc. Television cartoons are expected to have the same group of characters showing up daily, usually in the same places, jobs, etc. Utilizing situation comedy, most cartoons follow a simple formula: reintroduce familiar characters, create a usual zany plot that involves all or most of the popular ones, climax the plot, and wrap the showing up with a quick ending.

Most Bruno the Bandit stories, while pretty darned thought out and complex, aren't too hard for children to follow and are enjoyable and smart enough for adults to enjoy. Nonetheless, after each tale, the Bruno the Bandit universe and characters all return to their original status, setting a familiar and easy to get into scene for the next telling. Despite this quality, however, it is also important to mention that Bruno the Bandit has a sense of progression. This is important: an event that happens in a cartoon/comic universe needs to "feel" as though it is having an impact on that universe (without ever making too much of a significant change). If people neglect to acknowledge a storyline, then the storyline becomes unmemorable and overlooked, and the comic/cartoon will eventually fail.

I could easily imagine watching many of the BtB stories as a cartoon series. In fact, one of the major draws I had to this comic was the "Saturday morning" feeling BtB seemed to have. I enjoyed the progression of the BtB universe while I was reading the entire archive. I also enjoyed the sense of familiarity I had in knowing that Bruno will always be a bandit, Oswold will always be a city guard, Maledict will always be a conniving wizard... I never felt the comic was apt to change in a direction that I would later disapprove of.

Well, I don't know why the hell I typed all of this up. Sometimes, I can't sleep or I'm working and I go on a writing spree. Writing is fun. Well, I'm going to step out on my balcony and see if any of the girls next door are up. ;-)

Enjoy the post...

Oh, and one more reason Bruno the Bandit would make a bitchin' cartoon series: Fiona. I have a feeling kids would just eat her up. Ian might, however, have to ditch some of the rare pentagrams I've seen strewn about the strip. Parents would likely have a trip (and rightfully so) if their kids were watching cartoons with popularly Satanic associated material in it. :-)
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Einar Lo on Wed May 07, 2003 3:53 am

You could always have it be drawn in Britain. British parents don't actually care about pentagrams. Or drinking alcohol. Or any of the weird things that American parents get so riled about.
Image-Einar Lo[color=#FFBB00]
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Location: Cymru, Prydain (That's Wales, Great Britain, boyo!)

Postby Tim Tylor on Wed May 07, 2003 8:03 am

Don't overestimate our sanity. The mainstream, "moderate" Church of England has had a thing about Hallowe'en for some years now. While the allegedly Godnut-ridden US of A has managed to create Buffy with its two lesbian witches. And South Park. And Beavis and Butthead. And Itchy and Scratchy... yes, I know that's a spoof cartoon in another cartoon, but they actually show it.
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Wed May 07, 2003 9:03 am

godnut bless america
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Wed May 07, 2003 12:21 pm

Tim Tylor wrote:Don't overestimate our sanity. The mainstream, "moderate" Church of England has had a thing about Hallowe'en for some years now. While the allegedly Godnut-ridden US of A has managed to create Buffy with its two lesbian witches. And South Park. And Beavis and Butthead. And Itchy and Scratchy... yes, I know that's a spoof cartoon in another cartoon, but they actually show it.

True. But then, we have League of Gentlemen. And, er, Dangermouse. Alright, so it's not violent, but it's a lot of fun =)

I spent many years in the states, and they do seem much more obsessed about sanitising anything intended for children. Teenagers are a different story.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Wed May 07, 2003 4:53 pm

[quote="Einar Lo
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tim Tylor on Wed May 07, 2003 11:50 pm

mouse wrote:yeah, but if you're going to make your fortune, you gotta get it on american tv - and there's bound to be some wretched group or other who would object. (and actually there's a lot of stuff besides pentagrams people could get upset about - although they would actually have to _read_ the thing to find them)

I think American TVs must be pretty good at ignoring them. I mean, there must have been some serious Cain-raising over Buffy. Anyway, you'd have thought parents would welcome a little sneaky geometry education.

mouse wrote:now "dangermouse" - that sounds like something we need to import.

And "Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers"!!! Source of the greatest work of fanfic ever!!! ....uh, sorry. Morning coffee talking. That's an idea, though. The dedication and perseverance of hardcore fans cannot be overestimated. Send us a "Bruno Movie Slave" T-shirt each and we'd give you a 3-hour Disney-quality flick by next Samhain.
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Einar Lo on Thu May 08, 2003 5:06 am

Mouse: I grew up mostly in America due to my parents. They used to, when I was very young, show it over there, thoough as far as I'm aware they stopped in the early eighties.

It's by the same company that made Inspector Gadget and Count Duckula.

Oh, and does anyone else remember the Asterix cartoon? No-one else remembers that... bah, all great cartoons of that era were British. (or French in the last case)

Weel, except maybe Ducktales.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby kmd on Thu May 08, 2003 5:13 am

Nickelodeon used to show Dangermouse here in the US during the 80's. And it totally ROCKED! I've been searching for it on DVD for ages now, and can only find it for DVD players in England. Makes me very sad. I need more Penfold in my life!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Major Tom on Thu May 08, 2003 5:25 am

personally, I still mourn the loss of "The Tick"
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Thu May 08, 2003 4:47 pm

i wasn't watching much tv in the eighties, so i must have missed it - well, perhaps nick will rediscover it. i chanced across one or two asterix's, and they seemed pretty good. i haven't really watched saturday morning cartoons in ages (i'm now too old to want to get out of bed that early on saturdays). i've checked out a few things on the cartoon network, but since they seem to have cancelled 'sheep in the big city', i've rather given up on them....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby LordLucan on Fri May 09, 2003 3:28 am

I'm just gutted that Earthworm Jim (the cartoon) vanished off the face of the earth! It was brilliant!
"Beedy beedy beedy!"
- Creepy metal miget freak from Buck Rogers

Crossover searcher:-
http://juicytriangle.com/crosser/
LordLucan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby martinjh99 on Fri May 09, 2003 2:41 pm

LordLucan wrote:I'm just gutted that Earthworm Jim (the cartoon) vanished off the face of the earth! It was brilliant!

Yeah I seem to remember those... Can't remember any details except it was hilarious!
martinjh99
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tim Tylor on Wed May 14, 2003 11:37 pm

Major Tom wrote:personally, I still mourn the loss of "The Tick"

Found him.
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Thu May 15, 2003 5:40 am

You, Mr. Tylor, are a personal Life Saver -- and not even a lime one.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Thu May 15, 2003 8:16 am

Awww... but lime are my favorites!
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dunlavy on Sat May 17, 2003 2:16 am

Well, this topic led to stranger discussion than I was anticipating. Censorship? Marketing campaigning?

I believe that people get riled EVERYWHERE, for any reason. Americans overreact; Brits do too. Make a comment FOR the war, and you'll have pickitters on your lawn the next morning. Make a comment against the war, and people like me will blow their top and, most likely, call the person a "damned stupid anti-American hippy."

The world is full of ideas. Most of them are irrational and completely not thought out. Some of them make sense. Eventually, people are going to be exposed to all/most of them. I believe that censorship, save for extreme measures, should occur at the consumer level. If you don't like the way a cartoon series/news broadcast/commentary/damn well anything is going, change the channel. Leave the room. Click the 'back' button on your browser window. Beat the guy up. Voice your opinion or just bite your tongue... But I need to practice what I preach; admittedly, I've gone ape-shit a lot in the past over ideas and people whom I thought just weren't thinking or had their priorities out of whack. To stereotype myself, I'm a Christian, money-grubbing, "good-old-boy" Repub. who can't sit at a Starbucks for five minutes without getting peeved over a lame-ass comment at the table next to me by a 30-something loser who thinks they're a poet. So, when I hear the comment "British parents dont' care about pentagrams," I think, "What the hell?"

Where the f--k was I going with this? Yeah, Bruno the Bandit would make a good cartoon. Fiona, Bruno and Oswold rocks, but Ian will have to ix-nay on the pentagrams for all the non-backwards, non-Brits. :-)

Dunlavy

Go go gadget scud launcher.
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Einar Lo on Mon May 19, 2003 4:24 pm

Oh, come on. The smurfs had pentagrams in the opening credits, and a reference to the demon Azrael. Pentagrams, as long as it's Maledict or similar using them, are fine.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Tue May 20, 2003 5:43 am

always knew those smurfs were nothin but trouble

TROUBLE I tells ya
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue May 20, 2003 2:21 pm

yeah, all that smiling - never a good sign.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

WTF?

Postby Dunlavy on Thu May 29, 2003 4:40 am

There was a pentragram displayed during the Smurf's intro? I have not seen a Smurf's episode since I was very young. When and where does this pentagram appear?

Surely, if you are right, there would have been some uproar from American families about the Smurfs. My family would have been one of them.
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: WTF?

Postby Limax on Thu May 29, 2003 4:45 pm

Dunlavy wrote:Surely, if you are right, there would have been some uproar from American families about the Smurfs. My family would have been one of them.

That explains the avatar. ;)
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dunlavy on Sat May 31, 2003 12:02 pm

Lol... that avatar is an Icon from Warcraft III. :-)
Great game...
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: WTF?

Postby Einar Lo on Sat May 31, 2003 3:32 pm

Dunlavy wrote:There was a pentragram displayed during the Smurf's intro? I have not seen a Smurf's episode since I was very young. When and where does this pentagram appear?

Surely, if you are right, there would have been some uproar from American families about the Smurfs. My family would have been one of them.

I don't think it was a traditional one, but there was certainly a magic symbol drawn on the floor in Gargamel's castle-thing.

Not to meantion Azrael is the name of a demon in some mythology or other.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Return to Bruno The Bandit