MitDoP This week

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

MitDoP This week

Postby Einar Lo on Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:45 pm

I loved it - that delightfully frantic ending... the "well formed and large" opinions.... superb =) And I think the Sluggites are starting to get used to your humour as well, based on their forum =)
Image-Einar Lo[color=#FFBB00]
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Location: Cymru, Prydain (That's Wales, Great Britain, boyo!)

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:53 pm

I loved the ending :D funniest darn thing I've seen in a while

I like the coloured avatar Einar good stuff indeed
Dmitri
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Einar Lo on Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:23 am

Aye, I'm quite proud of the avatar - IT's one of Ian's drawings, but I discovered I find colouring comics oddly enjoyable - I really should find a cartoonist who needs a colourist sometime =)
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Einar Lo on Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:16 am

*sigh* More and more I get the feeling that I like Sluggy Freelance, but don't like Sluggites. I know that's unfair, but there's three or four vocal ones who really annoy me
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:43 am

when ian first started doing MitDoP, i checked out the sluggy reaction thread, and was really offended at the tone a lot of people took - which seemed to be "IT'S NOT PETE!!!! HE'S RUINING EVERYTHING!!!! IAN'S A TALENTLESS, CLUELESS, STRIP-STEALING OAF!!! HE'S NOT DOING IT LIKE PETE DID!!! I'M NEVER EVER READING ANYTHING OF HIS EVER AGAIN!!!! WE WANT PETE!!!! PETE PETE PETE!!!!!" however, most of them clearly _did_ continue reading it, and are now willing to accept it on its own merits. (it was kinda funny seeing some of the most vocal anti-ian ones admitting that the strips were actually making them laugh.) there are a few diehards, however, who will be satisfied with nothing less than pete wresting back the strip and obliterating everything ian has done with the DOP (and probably ian, too, just so he'll never do it again). i've decided all one can do is pity such people, for their inability to appreciate something new.

(i was actually a bit more vocal about this earlier, but those posts were lost in the Great Keen Forum Crash of '03) (hey! i can actually reminisce about things that happened in "ought"-something! i can achieve my dream of becoming an old fogey!)

they don't seem to have discovered this forum yet, but it's probably too unregimented for them anyway (now *be nice*, mouse! - sorry, that got away from me)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:32 pm

Ah, well - it looks like there's only 3 detractors this week, and many, many supporters, so... =)

Maybe it was just bad timing of the introduction of MitDoP. I mean, if it was running against Torg Potter, it would have fared much better by those forcing a direct comparison, but you know how people for some reason detract comedy, preferring more serious things?

But instead, they're pretending Pete never wrote Torg Potter, but was always a serious, highbrow cartoonist, which Ian, evidently, is not. I mean, oh no, Ian would never tackle serious issues like the aftermath of the Two Towers, the cult of fame, or anything like that, would he?
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Einar Lo on Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:35 pm

Ah, well - it looks like there's only 3 detractors this week, and many, many supporters, so... =)

Maybe it was just bad timing of the introduction of MitDoP. I mean, if it was running against Torg Potter, it would have fared much better by those forcing a direct comparison, but you know how people for some reason detract comedy, preferring more serious things?

But instead, they're pretending Pete never wrote Torg Potter, but was always a serious, highbrow cartoonist, which Ian, evidently, is not. I mean, oh no, Ian would never tackle serious issues like the aftermath of the Two Towers, the cult of fame, or anything like that, would he?
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:50 pm

actually, i think the problem is that ian's not a serious artiste - no mystic designs in glowing red and green lines, and stuff.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:06 am

Are you kidding? the miniscule detail in Ian's comics - every person in a crowd is distinct - is far above any other comic I have ever seen!
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tim Tylor on Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:46 am

And you have to be a high-class artist to pull off something like the "Sloth" sequence. The joke wouldn't have worked without Ian's normal finished style.
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Einar Lo on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:27 am

And don't forget his ability to change styles completely for this current sewquence, or, for instance, the Sour Ron Calvin and Hobbes parody =)

Ian, have you ever considered a caeer as a cult god?
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:18 pm

Heh...Sluggy freelance was one of my first webcomics, right after User Friendly. And while I enjoy the comic greatly, I'v never enjoyed their forum as much as other webcomic forums. I just don't see enough interesting things there...
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:38 pm

i tell you, it's because they're all regimented - adulation for the comic here, speculation there, and whatever you do, don't go off topic!

(and i personally rather prefer ian's style - some of pete's more moody strips have been completely incomprehensible to me. that's not quite the right word - what i mean is, i can't actually make out what's happening. but it's real, you know, arty)

(and i actually do like sluggy freelance- it was the first webtoon i read, and i came to bruno from there. but yeah, the forum-dwellers.....)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:58 pm

I went over t Sluggy becase of MitDoP - I wanted 4 Ian comics a week, I did, and I started by reading the archives =) I have grown to appreciate Sluggy Freelandce in its own right, but I doo think Bruno's better drawn.

By the by, any way we can get Ian to go back to 5 or 6 days a week? I bought the books - it's a start, right?
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby kmd on Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:06 am

Hear, Hear! More Bruno per week, I say!

Come on Ian, once you get back from your vacation, seriously consider going back to your old schedule. 3 days a week just isn't enough!
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Einar Lo on Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:47 am

We'll be more devoted than Elysia's press agents if you do!
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:15 am

Bruno the Bandit's art is so well done with complex characters and backgrounds... I don't know how long it takes Ian to make a comic, but the quality of his work is such that six days a week really is a lot to ask, especially when he's doing MitDOP to boot. I would love it if I could get a daily fix of new Bruno comics, but with comics that look this good, that's a tall order.

...although, perhaps if he got his own assistant micro-dragon...
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby mouse on Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:23 pm

ian went to 3 days a week because he was compelled to get a Real Job to support himself. so we either need to hold a major drive to sell books, or we need to find him a wealthy patron who will shower him with money to support his art. (where _are_ the medicis when you need them?)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:17 pm

*sigh* and me having spare cash is well in the future.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:00 pm

join the club.

hmmm - wonder if it means anything that it's just us poor folk reading bruno?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:05 am

I get the feeling that Ian really appreciates us. I admit I started reading Bruno after the Sluggy Freelance Where Are You? crossover, but I never looked back. It's one that I'll continue to read.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Bruno The Bandit