Manga-fying Glass

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Manga-fying Glass

Postby Einar Lo on Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:40 am

Well, that explains that preview, but, god - Bruno's not very good at avoiding these deadly sins, is he?

Kind of a given, I suppose =)
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Location: Cymru, Prydain (That's Wales, Great Britain, boyo!)

Postby Tim Tylor on Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:53 am

He did pretty well with Wrath, mind.

"Jumping the Shark" - I've only known that expression for a few months. Has it been around long?
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby Einar Lo on Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:55 am

It emans something? I thought it was some sort of pun that would come out in the next comic.
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Selgeron on Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:08 pm

jumping the the shark refers to the TV show Happy Days (you know with the Fonz) where the fonz water skiied over a shark and that was when the show became corny and silly.

now when a show jumps the shark it becomes corny and silly

thus the phrase 'happy days are hear again'...
Is it magic or is it madness?
Selgeron
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ian McDonald on Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:10 pm

To learn more about "jumping the shark", head on over to http://www.jumptheshark.com. Tell 'em Bruno sent ya! :D

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

ooog

Postby mouse on Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:34 pm

if there hadn't been so much good stuff along the way, i might almost have suspected that the whole story line was intended to lead up to this one set of puns.

'manga-fying glass', indeed. alas, poor bruno - with ian in your corner, it's going to be a while before you indeed "jump the shark"

hey - new fun-time activity - we can start speculating on when various web-toons made the jump! particularly the "fab four". i'll start the fun by stating that sinfest is still going strong, but i personally think sluggy jumped it when oasis was resurrected.....*dodges into flame-proof bunker*
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Einar Lo on Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:52 pm

Oddly enough, books and online comics (committee-designed big money comics aren't included in this) tend to jump the shark in reverse - Look at Sluggy Freelance until about the appearance of Aylee; Bruno up to... hmm, hard to say, I'd say that it steadily improved up to (at quick glancing) Dice or so, and has stayed at that high quality every since; CRFH... well, it's a bit weird. I'd say it starts to get really interesting at Mr. Hand, SEEMS to jump the shark half-way through misery journey (the drinking polluted water, the genie) but actually Misery journey acts as a mad catalyst actually making the comic exponentially better - especially given that Misery journey is our first sign of Margaret's gun nut attitude, or Marsha's ex-boyfriend stalking.

Similarly, Colour of magic isn't actually all that good, but The Light Fantastic is exponentially better.

And then of course there's W.S. Gilbert, of Gilbert and Sullivan - I think he probably jumped the shark with Grand Duke -the last of the G&S operas and I think, the penultimate operetta Gilbert wrote (after that I think there's only Falln Fairies, which was just a reworking of a play into an operetta. (His Excellency was written well before Grand Duke - it could be wished that he had given it to Sullivan instead of GD, but...) Here we see, after about 40 years of working, an author who had lost his quality control ability. Superbly comic songs (Woon't it be a lovely wedding, Pretty Lisa, The Sausage roll song) battle with a plot that does not reolve satisfactorially, and several dud lyrics like "becomes a legal ghoest" (rhymes with lowest) That one is actually alright,a s the next lines play it for comic effect, but other rhymes like "diskiver" are rife. It's saved by its music, but you know that Gilbert's worn out. (and indeed, only fallen Fairies (a reworking of a previous play into an operetta) and a few short plays came after*) (Oh, and Utopia Limited was not a shark jump, for the simple reason that if it failed, it failed because it had far too many creative ideas which made it a bit too complex. No lyrics in it are truly bad, and it all fits together well.**)

So, judging by these noble predessessors, we can easily hope for at least 30, probably more years before Ian jumps the shark, even if eventually we're reading Spiro the Spacepirate instead.

*His Excellency was written before Grand Duke, just set after)
** Don't even think of criticising Mountebanks. Trust me. Image
Einar Lo
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the strip became color after going through the manga-fying glass, considering that the vast majority of manga are b/w?
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Limax on Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:58 am

I think that Ian decided to go backwards, since his regular strip is in B&W.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Bruno The Bandit