Questions For Ian McDonald...

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Questions For Ian McDonald...

Postby Dunlavy on Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:33 am

I'm a bit new to reading online comics. Not that I'm new to the internet or anything... I just never found any web comics that held my interest. Then I found PVP, liked it, so then I was referred to Keenspot when I found this gem of a comic. This comic ties with SinFest for the best comic on Keenspot.

I have lots of questions for Ian McDonald. I know he is probably a very busy person so he may or may not answer, but hopefully some other user on this forum knows the answers to all/some/a few/or next to none of my questions. :wink:

1- How does McDonald feel about other "rival" comics like Sinfest or PVP? I've always suspected a bitter rivalry between online cartoonists (as evident on the PVP website in Scott Kurtz's rants) and I was just wondering if Ian likes or dislikes any of them... or if I'm just a loon who assumes that everyone wants a piece of someone else.

2- How much work and time does it take McDonald to create this comic? I'll start by saying there is NO WAY I could be a cartoonist. Especially of this quality. McDonald has very clean artwork, the BEST storylines, and the funniest gags of any of the other cartoonists I've read.

3- What kind of rewards does McDonald get for this? I've heard everything from "online cartoonists do great" to "online cartoonists are dying in the streets." Whatever the case may be for the majority, I'd like to state my opinion and say this comic deserves definite recognition. (I plan on getting the third book.)

I JUST finished reading the entire archive of comics. Other than having these questions, I just simply wanted to say "Thanks" to Ian McDonald for creating a very enjoyable comic strip and I'll be by to read every new one he makes... until he "dies in the streets" or turns into a corporate sell-out. :P Hee hee.

Josh R. Dunlavy
http://dunlavy.tripod.com
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mouse on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:25 pm

welcome! always happy to see another person of taste and perception added to the ranks of the brunatics!

i am hardly an expert, but my take would be:

1) i don't think ian is a believer in "bitter rivalry" - i think he's more in favor of a resonable discussion of differences. as a general thing - i read (probably way too) many online comics, and hang out in a couple forums, and my observation has been that most of the on-line cartoonists seem very supportive of their fellow artists. well, just the fact that a place like keenspace exists shows a basic cooperative nature. (keenspace, if you haven't found it, allows _anyone_ who wants to try on-line tooning to have a space - so it's by way of encouraging the form. the best get invited into keenspot (i believe that's correct))

2) no idea - but his artwork _is_ wonderful, isn't it? this alone makes me hope he never goes commercial - in these days of the incredible shrinking newspaper strip, all those great details would be gone....

3) not nearly enough. which reminds me - ian, can you at least move your shoebox to the _side_ of the road? dunlavy's comment is just going to restart all my nightmares....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Thanks for replying...

Postby Dunlavy on Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:34 am

ian, can you at least move your shoebox to the _side_ of the road? dunlavy's comment is just going to restart all my nightmares....

Hmm... am I right to suspect you're an online cartoonist also? Thanks for responding. :D After reading through a lot of the other posts here on this message board, Ian McDonald seems to be pretty active with his online community. That's cool. Oh, and I also took a small amount of free time I had at work today and visited the KeenSpace website. LOTS of comics... so many I didn't try to read em. Hot damnity, I think I shall simply stick to KeenSpot. After all, the best are here, right?

Looking around in Keenspot, I'd say these are my favorites:

Bruno the Bandit (yay!)
SinFest (alright!)
Real Life (*cough*)

Greg Dean's Real Life almost seems a bit self centered, though. :-? I mean, if I did a strip on myself, my friends would think me a jackass. His artwork is simple but clean.... though a few of his strips' gags can be a bit redundant and cliche'. Otherwise, good job on that and the site design.

Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Questions For Ian McDonald...

Postby Ian McDonald on Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:04 am

Welcome to the BTB Board, Josh!

Dunlavy wrote:I have lots of questions for Ian McDonald. I know he is probably a very busy person so he may or may not answer, but hopefully some other user on this forum knows the answers to all/some/a few/or next to none of my questions. :wink:

Actually, I'm more lazy than busy, which took me so long to respond to this message. But with upcoming projects, I may be forced to become more busy. That's a Good Thing... I think! Anyway, too your questions...

1- How does McDonald feel about other "rival" comics like Sinfest or PVP? I've always suspected a bitter rivalry between online cartoonists (as evident on the PVP website in Scott Kurtz's rants) and I was just wondering if Ian likes or dislikes any of them... or if I'm just a loon who assumes that everyone wants a piece of someone else.

I have a blood feud going with virtually all other scumbags who call themselves online cartoonists. They are encroaching on my territory, and I plan to make unpleasant examples of them, as warnings to anyone else who dares try their hand at my profession.

But seriously, it is as Mouse said. I love being part of the online comics community, and am friends with many other web 'toonists. The best online strips inspire me to do the best work I can, and I hope I inspire them in some ways as well. If Scott Kurtz feels we should all be bitter rivals, that's really a shame for him, because there's plenty of room out here for everybody.

2- How much work and time does it take McDonald to create this comic? I'll start by saying there is NO WAY I could be a cartoonist. Especially of this quality. McDonald has very clean artwork, the BEST storylines, and the funniest gags of any of the other cartoonists I've read.

You are too kind, sir! I hope one day to have a team of lackeys do all my work for me, while I spend all my time sipping lime daiquiries on a beach in the Bahamas, but until then, each strip takes me between 4 and 6 hours to draw, not counting the writing.

3- What kind of rewards does McDonald get for this? I've heard everything from "online cartoonists do great" to "online cartoonists are dying in the streets." Whatever the case may be for the majority, I'd like to state my opinion and say this comic deserves definite recognition. (I plan on getting the third book.)

I'm somewhere in between "dying in the streets", and "doing great". The truth is, I'm constantly surprised and gratified by the generosity of my readers: from their praise and encouragement to their PayPal donations, and purchase of BTB loot. So lemme once again take this opportunity to say Thanks everybody! You're the greatest!!!

But I also consider doing the strip itself as perhaps the greatest reward. It's incredibly fun to do, and I can't think of a better hobby to have. I am hoping the "do what you love, the money will follow" will eventually kick in, and in fact it has, to some extent. And a special note to Mouse: my shoebox is still in the middle of the road, but at least it's not a very busy road! :wink:

I JUST finished reading the entire archive of comics. Other than having these questions, I just simply wanted to say "Thanks" to Ian McDonald for creating a very enjoyable comic strip and I'll be by to read every new one he makes... until he "dies in the streets" or turns into a corporate sell-out. :P Hee hee.

Thank you for reading, Josh. As for my turning into a corporate sell-out, move over Jim Davis, I'm a-comin' thru! :wink: I may have to start hiring lackeys soon. Anyone interested? :D

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:12 am

Ian McDonald wrote:
each strip takes me between 4 and 6 hours to draw, not counting the writing.

WOW. i had no idea it took so long - but i guess all those great details gotta take some time!

And a special note to Mouse: my shoebox is still in the middle of the road, but at least it's not a very busy road! :wink:

well, i suppose this means i can snooze sporadically....

I may have to start hiring lackeys soon. Anyone interested?

in answer to dunlavy's question about my being a cartoonist, and your own soliciting for lackeys, i hereby submit an example of my own artwork, to wit, a self-portrait:

_C>

all employment offers (with proposed salary range clearly indicated) may be forwarded to my agent.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:02 am

Ian McDonald wrote:I may have to start hiring lackeys soon. Anyone interested?

I could apply for the non-drawing kind of lackey... my art skills are barely above that of a third-grader.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Major Tom on Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:07 am

I'm gonna hold out for "Thug" -- but keep me in mind, 'K?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:21 am

Do you think that people will take you seriously with that flute?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Major Tom on Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:01 am

Dude - Kokopelli is the god of spring and fertility...

...do you know what kind of havok I could wreak on your college fund plans?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:22 am

You wouldn't dare..... :o
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Major Tom on Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:41 am

so be nice.... :evil:
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:17 pm

To whom?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:15 pm

well, you could be nice to me.... not that it will help the college fund or anything, but it would probably be good for your karma.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:17 pm

Now when have I never not been nice to my favorite rodent? :D
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:30 pm

well, that's true.... still, it never hurts to continue.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:33 pm

unless one it speaking of firewalking...
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:43 pm

ooh, i don't know - if i were firewalking, i certainly don't think i'd stop...not in the middle of it, anyway.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Return to Bruno The Bandit