Is it just me? ....

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Is it just me? ....

Postby Kaga_Takeshi on Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:41 am

...Or have the last two story lines been less "Funny things happen to Bruno", and more "Xantippa and Fiona abuse everyone around them"? Please, someone explain how this is all supposed to be funny.

I really like Bruno, and have followed him for right about two years, but I'm not sure how much more I can take. :cry:
Kaga_Takeshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Is it just me? ....

Postby Ian McDonald on Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:50 am

Kaga_Takeshi wrote:...Or have the last two story lines been less "Funny things happen to Bruno", and more "Xantippa and Fiona abuse everyone around them"? Please, someone explain how this is all supposed to be funny.

I don't think one can explain what is funny, when it comes to something like this. Either you find it funny, or you don't.

Kaga_Takeshi wrote:I really like Bruno, and have followed him for right about two years, but I'm not sure how much more I can take. :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel this way, Kaga. I've always considered Bruno to be a "work in progress", as I like to try to experiment with new story ideas, new ways of drawing, new types of humor, etc. I never want to fall into a formula for doing this strip. When I started the "Birthright" story, I had planned to have Bruno lose the crown by the time the story wrapped. However, I decided to keep Bruno as King of Rothland, just to see what story ideas would present themselves to me. So far, I've been happy with what I've come up with, but as it is so different from what's come before, I can understand that maybe some of you may not be as enamored with this story arc as I had hoped. Unfortunately, I can't please everyone, so the best I can do is try to please myself and hope the majority of you like it as well. Still, I'm curious as to how others feel about Bruno as king? Is it working, is it not? Readers?

Kaga, if you stop reading, I'll be sorry to see you go, of course. But if you do, I hope you'll check back from time to time, to see if the current story is more to your liking.

Take care,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Limax on Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:31 pm

I really think those stories were meant to set us up for something bigger and earth-shattering... we'll have to see what the present story brings to our intrepid hero....
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mouse on Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:23 pm

if there is anything lacking recently, it is perhaps that bruno feels more acted-upon than acting - still, it is funny to see that, even as king, he can't catch a break.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:37 pm

Actually, I find a change to be refreshing. Like when they make a "character episode" on one of the Trek syndicates...

As for Fiona's role; she's always been a trouble maker and prone to let her feelings and opinions be felt. After all, she started off with a Garfield-like influence.

But a dragon has a much bigger attitude. (Proprotional for a micro-dragon, of course.)

Xantippa? Well, I see that as more-so character development. The "supporting cast" is getting more full than ever, which of course, gives rise to the opportunity of further plot twists in future episodes.

Funny things not happening to Bruno? What about the "Ring of Rebound" (aka, the Ring of Many Names?)

Bruno just went through the pains of childbirth for several days - I found that amusing. Fiona wasn't abusing people so much there, as she was demonstrating her ability to waffle on when it wasn't appreciated... :D

The possibilities for the future are quite enormous, Kaga. We have the incompetent bandit cum King, plotting nobles (who can create as equally as amusing "stuff happens to Bruno" storylines, as demonstrated by Numth'kul), Bruno's ex-fame-vampire "crush" (leading to more possibilities with the Fame Vampires - of whom we suspect Bruno may be...)

As Limax said; things are building up. I've got a feeling that there may be a "pop" that we're not suspecting...
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:21 am

It's definitly been amusing; and I, too, think that Fiona has been pretty much in character (i.e., a smart-ass who's always more than willing to pull the rug out from under Bruno, wittingly or otherwise).

And I like the political twist this past week, very much (nice plot advancement, really juicy).

I have been feeling somehow as if Bruno hasn't had a moment to catch his breath in the past couple of months -- a whirlwind tour straight into the the throne of ultimate oppressive opportunity, the whirlwind engagement/pregnancy.

From time to time, it's made me wonder "Where's the banditing??"

However, I also believe that all things come to pass and, like Gilligan, Bruno will eventually end up back where he belongs.

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:43 am

Where's the banditing? Where's the banditing?!

'e's a King with abba-solutely no ethics. What more of a bandit can ya get?

(Answer: President...)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:30 pm

good point, major - once our boy catchs his breath, he's bound to see the unlimited opportunities for banditry that kingship provides him. and yeah, i think fiona has been pretty much her usual self (remember "pillory"?) guess i should view this as a transition to more of an ensemble cast - and i gotta admit, a lot of the development of other characters has been fun (i _love_ eunice)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:54 am

she's a hottie...

...hey -- whatever happened to the sick 'ol schyster/geezer in the back bedroom at Bruno's folks' house?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:01 pm

and dad's cat - i think that cat has possibilities.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:27 am

Major Tom wrote:...hey -- whatever happened to the sick 'ol schyster/geezer in the back bedroom at Bruno's folks' house?

He's right there behind that door over there.... no, wait.... that's a clock. :o
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Bruno The Bandit