30/8/02

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

30/8/02

Postby Antarius on Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:50 pm

The plot, erm, Sickens with today's strip. More politics and back-handed plans behind the scenes...

Ian McDonald wrote:b>MEatheads (3 of zillions, or thereabouts)

Another computer reference, Ian? :D

Oh - and good to see another extra long storyline ahead! Especially Zillions - Can't get enough BtB, after all!

Does that mean we're going to go to a strip per hour now? :D

Cheers,

Antarius
(Pronounced: "Ant Airy Ass")
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:36 pm

yes, this is where our boy bruno belongs - an unwitting (indeed, completely witless) pawn in the hands of witlings...

strip an hour _would_ be nice, but work does interfere - ian, you _have_ found work, haven't you? you aren't sketching these on the backs of dogfood labels (after eating the contents)?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Re: 30/8/02

Postby Ian McDonald on Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:51 pm

Antarius wrote:The plot, erm, Sickens with today's strip. More politics and back-handed plans behind the scenes...

Ian McDonald wrote:b>MEatheads (3 of zillions, or thereabouts)

Another computer reference, Ian? :D

Naw, bad HTML'ing , on my part. The dang thing should read: MEatheads.
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ian McDonald on Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:55 pm

mouse wrote:strip an hour _would_ be nice, but work does interfere - ian, you _have_ found work, haven't you? you aren't sketching these on the backs of dogfood labels (after eating the contents)?

Dogfood? I dream of eating dogfood! 'Twould be like a feast to us: all 700 of us, crammed into a shoebox in the middle of the road!

Seriously, no work yet, Mouse, but I'm doing okay for the time being. Helps when you live at home.

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Antarius on Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:56 pm

Shoebox? You were loocky!

We used to live in a paper bag in a septic tank!

Luxury!

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to find something on the income front, Ian. We'll have to find some way of getting BtB as a best seller...

Until then, let's send Slaps around to one of the newspapers...
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:12 am

i'm sorry to hear it, too. the best way to get jobs truly seems to be networking, which always terrified me, but it turns out that really pretty low-level people (if they are well regarded) can be a good way in. which is a complicated way of saying: get any friends of your own or your parents who works in anything that you might remotely like to do to talk to their supervisors about you - you might be surprised at who will give you a chance. good luck (and remember that cat food, ounce for ounce, has more protein than dogfood)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:12 pm

mouse wrote:(and remember that cat food, ounce for ounce, has more protein than dogfood)

Spoken like a true rodent...

Speaking of which; I went out to the Gun Club with my father yesterday, as a treat for Father's Day...

<irrelevant stuff snipped>

Someone had stolen their lawnmower (again). They got it out of a tin shed, through the small (500 x 900 mm) window. Quite a feat, actually.

They left behind the bbq this time, however. We worked out why - there was a Guard Mouse on duty. We moved the barbie ourselves, and the bloody thing lept out!
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

State of the Ian Address

Postby Ian McDonald on Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:59 am

mouse wrote:i'm sorry to hear it, too. the best way to get jobs truly seems to be networking, which always terrified me, but it turns out that really pretty low-level people (if they are well regarded) can be a good way in. which is a complicated way of saying: get any friends of your own or your parents who works in anything that you might remotely like to do to talk to their supervisors about you - you might be surprised at who will give you a chance. good luck (and remember that cat food, ounce for ounce, has more protein than dogfood)

I appreciate the advice, Mouse! But actually, things are looking up for me. Money has been coming in: royalties from book sales, processing t-shirt and other moichandise orders for Sluggy Freelance, and of course from the continuing generosity of those of you who contribute via PayPal.

In addition, I should be earning more, very soon. For one thing, Keenspot has returned to profitability in a big way, so we (meaning Keenspot 'toonists) will once again be paid for our efforts. Also, I'm hoping to land some part-time work with Plan Nine Publishing. And finally, theres a TOP SECRET PROJECT I've been invited to work on! If this comes to fruition, not only will this net me a few dollars a week, it may even bring a few more readers to the Bruno the Bandit website.

In short, I may soon be able to upgrade to cat-food, and move to a bigger shoebox, which hopefully won't be in the middle of a road. 8)

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:11 pm

congratulations! it's really good news to hear that keen (and bruno) are bringing in some cash (especially since that means you will go back to daily updates :D )

yeah, i'd definitely look for a shoebox a bit more off to the side. try for one in the ditch - then you won't have to pay for water.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:19 pm

Antarius wrote:We worked out why - there was a Guard Mouse on duty. We moved the barbie ourselves, and the bloody thing lept out!

heh - attack mouse! i tell you, we can be pretty fearsome. (so which one of you screamed like a little girl? come on, we all know at least _one_ of you did)

i will not enquire as to why you waited until labor day to give you poor (and doubtless long-suffering) father a treat for father's day - nor what the gun club might have provided for you to barbeque....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Re: State of the Ian Address

Postby Antarius on Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:42 am

Ian McDonald wrote:Money has been coming in: royalties from book sales,

Woohoo! We're not going to lose Ian after all! Yay!

Ian McDonald wrote:processing t-shirt and other moichandise orders for Sluggy Freelance, and of course from the continuing generosity of those of you who contribute via PayPal.

E-gad! What a perfect disguise! Nobody would expect that you, with your fantastic artwork, was actually Shirt Guy Tom!

You had me fooled!

Draw someone stick figurish! :D

Ian McDonald wrote:In addition, I should be earning more, very soon. For one thing, Keenspot has returned to profitability in a big way, so we (meaning Keenspot 'toonists) will once again be paid for our efforts. Also, I'm hoping to land some part-time work with Plan Nine Publishing.

That's fantastic news. In these times of dot-com busts, it's great to see one of the more noble projects succeeding. And to support the web-comic artists is a very Good Thing(tm) - especially if it protects them from Syndication

Ian McDonald wrote:And finally, theres a TOP SECRET PROJECT I've been invited to work on! If this comes to fruition, not only will this net me a few dollars a week, it may even bring a few more readers to the Bruno the Bandit website.

Hmmmm... I must say that I'm exteremely intrigued about this "Top Secret Project..." Any hints? Any ETA's? If you tell us, do you have to kill us?

But then, anything that increases the exposure of our cuddly Bandit *ahem* (Sorry, still trying to be "nice") is a Good Thing(tm) also.

Keep it up, Ian. I truly do appreciate my dose of BtB at every update!

Ian McDonald wrote:In short, I may soon be able to upgrade to cat-food, and move to a bigger shoebox, which hopefully won't be in the middle of a road. 8)

All 150 of you?

Well, of course, we had it tough! We used to have to get up out of the shoebox in the middle of the night, and lick the road clean with our tongues! We had to eat half a handful of freezing cold gravel, work twenty-four hours a day at mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our dad would slice us in two with a breadknife!

mouse wrote:heh - attack mouse! i tell you, we can be pretty fearsome. (so which one of you screamed like a little girl? come on, we all know at least _one_ of you did)

Actually, nobody did... In fact, the poor unenlightened souls accused the mouse of stealing the barbeque...

But you and I know better, right?

mouse wrote:i will not enquire as to why you waited until labor day to give you poor (and doubtless long-suffering) father a treat for father's day - nor what the gun club might have provided for you to barbeque....

Fact; The standard day for Father's Day is the first Sunday of September.

This is a real bugger, as I'm expected to send a Father's day card to my in-laws, and I have to get one 6 months in advance and then remember where it is 6 months later!

And I don't do "cards..."

As to the BBQ; haven't you ever tasted fresh "clay pigeons?" There were plenty to go around...

The thing that has got me, is that it's been nearly 5 years since I shot. I wasn't all that good at it, (a C-Grader), though I used to win quite a few events...

I haven't lifted a shotgun for nearly 5 years, thus I haven't practiced... Yet I went out there and shot all of the events, and was getting scores that had me a target or two behind AA grade shooters!

Why the $&#* did I spend all of those years practicing when I was younger? I might as well have just ignored it for 5 years! Imagine what I could do if I don't pick up a shottie for another 10?! :D
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:03 pm

clay pigeons, eh? - nice to know you aussies are keeping the english cooking tradition alive...

it's one of those weird things - somehow, in some things, one actually gets better for unknown reasons. when i first played softball (in junior high) i was lucky if i could hit the ball off a batting tee. didn't play again until i was in graduate school; at that point, i was able to hit the ball, but always hit it right to the first baseman. had another multiyear break, then played with a sort of pickup team - and actually hit semi-decently (i.e., they actually got past the baseline, and between the basemen, so i had at least a 50-50 chance of getting to 1st). i figure another 20-30 years and i might actually get good at it.

(and someone did too scream, they always do - they just covered it up by accusing the mouse. admit it - they all said that you only _imagined_ they were screaming 'eek! eek!' - what they _really_ said was 'thief, thief!', and they used that really high-pitched voice because that's the range mice hear in.)
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Ian McDonald on Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:24 pm

Antarius wrote:

Not from lack of trying! :P

Antarius wrote:E-gad! What a perfect disguise! Nobody would expect that you, with your fantastic artwork, was actually Shirt Guy Tom!

You had me fooled!

Draw someone stick figurish! :D

Can't. Keenspot would fire my ass.

Actually, I'm not Shirt-Guy Tom, just one of his stooges. I'm Ian, the Shirt Nazi. When you order a shirt, and the info you give is incorrect, it's
NO SHIRT FOR YOU!!!

Antarius wrote:That's fantastic news. In these times of dot-com busts, it's great to see one of the more noble projects succeeding. And to support the web-comic artists is a very Good Thing(tm) - especially if it protects them from Syndication

Or does it protect syndication from me? :P

Antarius wrote:Hmmmm... I must say that I'm exteremely intrigued about this "Top Secret Project..." Any hints? Any ETA's? If you tell us, do you have to kill us?

If all goes well, it should start some time in November! It's Bruno the Bandit: The Broadway Musical, starring Nathan Lane as Bruno and Britney Spears in green makeup and wings as Fiona, with musical score composed by Les Claypool and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Hmmm.... hope I didn't give too much away here... :wink:

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:10 am

this _is_ a surprise - i would have figured nathan lane for xerxes, and that guy from 'phantom' as bruno. and christopher lee as maledict.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:44 am

Ian McDonald wrote:...with musical score composed by Les Claypool and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

So, will they use the score from JC Superstar, or the other one that Webber 'wrote'?

And where does Christopher Walken come in?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:55 pm

Ian McDonald wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Not from lack of trying! :P

Yes... I am trying.... Very trying...

Ian McDonald wrote:
Antarius wrote:Draw someone stick figurish! :D

Can't. Keenspot would fire my ass.

Which is something that a stick-figure version of Fiona could also achieve...

Ian McDonald wrote:Actually, I'm not Shirt-Guy Tom, just one of his stooges.

Larry, Curly, Moe or Shem?

Ian McDonald wrote:I'm Ian, the Shirt Nazi. When you order a shirt, and the info you give is incorrect, it's NO SHIRT FOR YOU!!!

The nerve of it! Good thing I'm hanging out for a Fiona shirt then, eh?

(Note to self: next time one of my Christian relatives nags me about "having to get me something for Christmas," point them to the BtB merch-and-ise...

Ian McDonald wrote:Or does it protect syndication from me? :P

Scary thought... Ian and his rusty sidekick, Matthias...

Ian McDonald wrote:Re: Top Secret Project
If all goes well, it should start some time in November! It's Bruno the Bandit: The Broadway Musical, starring Nathan Lane as Bruno and Britney Spears in green makeup and wings as Fiona, with musical score composed by Les Claypool and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Working title: "Bandit of the Opera"

The casting agent was pissedat the time? Or were you personally responsible for that blunder? Maybe there's some kick-backs in it for you?

Or D) You're lost your mind... Of course, I've probably got a spare or two from some of the leftover politicians that I've dined on... They should be *ahem* lie-ing around somewhere.

You're welcome to a few of them. About 12 of them should bring someone up to the level of an average half-wit...

Ian McDonald wrote:Britney Spears in green makeup and wings as Fiona

Erk! I think you've just lost me and about 100% of the Fiona fans right there...

Especially when the "Free XXX!!! BRITNEY SPEARS NAKED AS FIONA!!! HOT!!! XXX!!!" spam starts to go around the net...

Major Tom wrote:And where does Christopher Walken come in?

Isn't that something that Superman fans won't get to see?

(Hey - I'm an ex-paraplegic myself... I can to make *some* shots, don't I? I mean, give me an *ahem* break!)

Yup... Bastard mode seems to be warming up nicely....
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:04 pm

i think you're getting your chrises crossed. christopher reeve was the guy who played superman (and now is a paraplegic) christopher walken is this very intense actor - to quote imdb: " Nervous-looking lead and supporting actor of the American stage and films. He won an Oscar as best supporting actor for his performance in The Deer Hunter, The (1978). Seen in mostly supporting roles throughout the 80s and early 90s, often portraying psychologically unstable characters."
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:29 pm

Yes, but Christopher Walken was in the second Batman film... doesn't that count for something?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Antarius on Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:24 pm

No, no, no... say it, don't read it!

"Christopher Walken. Something Superman fans won't see..."

Bah! Do I have to stream it?

8)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:24 am

He's getting better.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:42 am

Who? Christopher, or the bastard?
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:57 am

Mr. Reeve -

He can wiggle his left index finger, breathe on his own for about 90 min, push off the pool wall against resistance, distinguish between hot and cold and feel a human touch (that last bit made me really think)...

He's getting better.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:06 am

Really?

All bullshit aside (which is a hell of a lot to move, around here...), that's fantastic news!

Considering he wasn't supposed to survive, that's an incredible recovery. All the luck to him! Good luck, Chris!
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:08 am

Yeah...thought I'd share.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:19 pm

Yeah... i read that and was heartened by the news.

On other things.... whoever knew that Christopher Walken could tap dance?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to Bruno The Bandit