8-26 "That never happened"

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

8-26 "That never happened"

Postby Murray M. Lee on Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:37 pm

So what gives with this plot switch that reminds me of in that long-ago drama where a girl found a "dead" character in a shower, and it turned out she had dreamed his demise?

Did you intend this from the begining (when coming up with "King Bruno" plots), or come up with this somewhere along the line?
Murray
A Writer's Block
- Science Fiction stories, jokes, and art
USS Freedom
The Misadventures of the wackiest ship in Starfleet (in hiatus)
Murray M. Lee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:47 pm

ah, the infamous "dallas" shower scene....no, ian surely had something better than that in mind....it couldn't possibly mean he felt he had written himself into a corner, what with bruno forgiving xantippa, and all, and being at risk of becoming a nicer person, given that fiona had a ring also.....no, i'm sure there is a cunning master plan - right, ian?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby DrDestruction1 on Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:18 pm

What the @#$%? No no no. bruno cannnot be having a good time. It's just not done!
----
William Adams
Pillars of Faith
DrDestruction1
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Antarius on Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:30 pm

Bruno's worse nightmare: Evolution.

I concur with mouse's comments; Bruno was becoming very un-bruno-like with some of his actions. It was probably a nightmare for Bruno!

Although, some of his actions even seemed *more* cut-throat than I remember him. My memory might be failing me, but I don't recall him making attempts on someone's life before.

At least, not directly. Out of incompetence, perhaps... :-)

Maybe we could appeal to Ian for a clue, or perhaps we sit back and see what is to come.

(I'm probably more likely to do the latter than the former; I'm not very appealing... *cough*)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ian McDonald on Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:12 pm

mouse wrote:what with bruno forgiving xantippa, and all...

Whoa there, Mouse! Bruno never forgave Xantippa. Instead, Xan gave Fiona the power to end Bruno's punishment, which she did, eventually, but Bruno kept on hating... in this, uh... dream of his...

Later,
Ian
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Antarius on Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:30 pm

Ian McDonald wrote:Whoa there, Mouse!

Anyone else get mental images of a mouse with a saddle?

The St John's Wart wrote:but Bruno kept on hating... in this, uh... dream of his...

Is this stammering a key note, Ian?

Hold on! Is it possible that Bruno's mind, numbed by the pain of childbirth etc, is merely reverting to a dream that it was all a dream, henceforth known as "avoidance?"
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby DrDestruction1 on Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:12 pm

So that gives us a dream sequence inside another dream sequence? Or maybe it was what happened before that, that was the real dream and then in the dream he had another dream in which Fiona is present but that's all Fiona's dream because it's her nightmare. And then how does Xantippia figure in all this? Is it her dream or is she having a dream concurrent with Bruno's and Fiona's dream in which she's in their dream or are they in hers? But then who is absent from all these dreams? Why Bruno's previous love interest Ella, the former Fame Vampire. And it's a known fact that sometimes people dream dreams in which they are not present. But then who is her avatar? It could be Fiona who had the power to release Bruno from his torment or Xantippia who caused his torment. Either answer reveales hidden passions and repressed feelings for Bruno that clash with her subconscious image of him. Of course she would reveal herself at the resolution of the dream and she hasn't so that supports the second dream within a dream theory which would make it a third dream within a second dream. There. That's cleared up that! :)
----
William Adams
Pillars of Faith
DrDestruction1
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Major Tom on Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:27 am

Ian's just trying to steal the fire from the re-release of "Lathe of Heaven" and I say "Good for him".

I think that Bruno has much more charisma than that Lucas Haas (i.e., dishwater boy).

Moreover, I'm really glad someone brought this up.

J.R., indeed.
Last edited by Major Tom on Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:47 pm

Antarius wrote:

it just the way i keep taking the bit in my teeth :D

i would comment lengthily on dr. d's hypothesis, except my brain already hurts.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:55 pm

mouse wrote:
Antarius wrote:

it just the way i keep taking the bit in my teeth :D

This just can NOT lead anywhere good...

mouse wrote:i would comment lengthily on dr. d's hypothesis, except my brain already hurts.

IAN!! - the bridle is too tight. :wink:
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:10 pm

if you're not careful, i'll read you the paper that's making my head hurt. just one hint: it was written by the chairman of the dept. of statistics at an ivy-league institution....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:23 pm

But they don't DO anything at ivy-league institutions...

...what kind of stats could they keep?
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:16 am

I feel better now (8/28)...

...still a bit confused as to which end is reality, but better.

You had us concerned, Ian -- a little.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dragon Fogel on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:40 am

That must be some strange calendar system you use, Major. What do they call it?
Dragon Fogel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Major Tom on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:59 am

It's a derivative of a system originally devised by the Coolumbians.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:27 pm

Major Tom wrote:But they don't DO anything at ivy-league institutions...

...what kind of stats could they keep?

they tell everyone _else_ how to do their analyses properly. since they don't actually collect data themselves, they don't have to worry their little heads about all the problems us real-world people keep getting in our puny little datasets....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:28 pm

oh yeah, the strip - shoulda guessed if bruno was surrounded by beautiful willing women, _that_ would be the dream....
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:39 pm

I'm glad to know my hunch was right - self delusions are so in character...

Besides - otherwise I'd have been left wondering about Ian's story-telling skills. If he had to do the typical "DM has stuffed up - everything that has happened for the last few sessions didn't really happen" fallback, then I would have said that he needed a holiday!

And you know what that might meen; Shirt Guy Tom standins! Eeek!

Good to see you're still "as sharp as a piece of Oscar Wilde witticisms rolled to a point, dipped into lemon juice and poked into someone's eye."

(Ghod bless you, Rimmer. You're my Idol!)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

"I will get fried, with a little help..."

Postby Tim Tylor on Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:16 pm

Major Tom wrote:Ian's just trying to steal the fire from the re-release of "Lathe of Heaven" and I say "Good for him".

I think that Bruno has much more charisma than that Lucas Haas (i.e., dishwater boy).

Moreover, I'm really glad someone brought this up.

J.R., indeed.

I love that book. I knew there was a movie of it, but I hadn't known until now about the hoohah and fooraw there was around it. I gather it languished in the vaults because of copyright complications around the Beatles "With A Little Help From My Friends" on the soundtrack, until fans bullied them into sorting it out and re-releasing it.

I haven't heard of Lucas Haas, but I think Bruno would make a brilliant Dr Haber. None of that sissy "mend the world" nonsense. Your good intentions can't go horrifically wrong if you don't have any. :D
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:07 pm

saw the ads, but i thought it was on cable - and now i'm not seeing the ads. oddly enough, i haven't read the book, although i think i've read about everything else she wrote. the only think i've seen lucas haas in was 'witness' - he played the little amish boy. he's apparently grown up some since then...
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tim Tylor on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:36 pm

I think it's one of my favorite books by her. Basically it's about a man whose dreams sometimes change things in the real world, and about a psychiatrist (Dr Haber) who tries to use him to improve the world, with very mixed results. The Beatle's song plays a small but important part in the story, and it feels ironic hearing that it messed things up for the film. I hope that explains the gist of my post. I imagine the book's still in print.
Tim Tylor
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:31 pm

or at the library :D - i already spend too much of my fortune on books as it is.

it does seem odd a beatles song would delay a movie release - i mean, they seem to show up in all kinds of things. one would think they had a standard licensing sort of arrangement already in place...
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:13 pm

Might have been true before Michael got involved...

...I think he snorted John's bones.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby mouse on Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:50 pm

forgot about that....yeah, that might mess things up.

i did watch the movie, but didn't catch the song - so i'll just have to read the book to see where it fits in. for some reason i am thinking there was another version of "lathe of heaven" - done maybe as a (non-cable) tv movie? - some years ago - but i believe it _was_ shown (i think i remember seeing something about it in tv guide)....not that this has any relevance to anything.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dragon Fogel on Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:20 pm

mouse wrote:....not that this has any relevance to anything.

And this is different from virtually all other posts on this board how?

(Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing. I enjoy reading all this nonsense, even if I don't contribute to it that often.)
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis
<A HREF="http://www.brunothebandit.com" TARGET=_blank>Brunatic</A> of the First Order
(Call me Fogel, not Dragon.)
Dragon Fogel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Bruno The Bandit