Disgust at inuendo in BtB!

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Postby Major Tom on Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:07 am

yes.

zap.

inadvertant,

but

zap
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:33 pm

If I keep drawing attention to the fact that you posted your "just quickly," post twice, do you think that enough people will realise that it was there?

I don't want to look like a fool, you know.

Mad, insane, inane, annoying, arrogant and irritating maybe, but not foolish.

BTW, don't you just hate that annoying "You cannot post messages too soon after your last post," crud?
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:05 am

Antarius wrote:BTW, don't you just hate that annoying "You cannot post messages too soon after your last post," crud?

Oh yes -- it tends to get in the way when we're in "dueling banjos" mode.

Antarius wrote:If I keep drawing attention to the fact that you posted your "just quickly," post twice, do you think that enough people will realise that it was there?

Nope. You made that up.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:31 pm

Major Tom wrote:Oh yes -- it tends to get in the way when we're in "dueling banjos" mode.

Not that any of us would do anything like that...

BTW, I see you're at 2399 posts... You really don't get out much, do you?

Not that I'm one to talk... The other night it was getting close to 2am here while we were "duelling banjos," and I was still at work!

Which explains my sudden departure as I could no longer read the screen due to sleepiness. :D

Major Tom wrote:Nope. You made that up.

No I didn't! You posted twice, you great big tumshee!

Don't deny it - next time I'll take a screen dump!

Cheers,

Antarius of Righteousness
Resistance is what Xantippa experiences when she tries to put on a pair of aerobic workpants.
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Zeevico on Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:56 am

What's so bad about 3E? IMO its much better than 2E, and is much easier to understand as well as being more flexible. Additionally, it has skills and feats. Fighters in 2E are all the same. Pick a kit, and some proficiencies, and that's all folks for the rest of your levels. In 3E, you pick Skills and Feats which allow you to both roleplay (and if you want) be a munchkin. Theive in 2E become useless after a few levels, as their more martial and arcane counterparts gain nearly all of their abilities. Not so in 3E, wherre they are defenitely advantageous and are cool to RP. In 3E, all races may take all classes- a definite advantage to 2E both RPwise (the wood elf barbaian) and munchkin -wise, if you like that sort of game (the Wizard/Archmage/Red Wizard of Thay). In 3E, the XP system makes sense and is easier to understand.
The best thing about 3E is that you can customize your character to fit your concept perfectly.
The worst things about 2E are THACO, how statistics are handled, Multiclassing, and Humans (who are useless).

Have you tried 3E? I definitely recommend you do. 2E was good, but 3E is a definite improvement.
(well this was very OT)
Zeevico
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Antarius on Sun Jul 07, 2002 4:13 pm

Zeevico wrote:What's so bad about 3E?

Should I start with the fact that it was a money-grubbing move by Hasbro (who are wonderful business-people, I might add... Just what WoTc & TSR needed...)

Me? I do Skills and Powers with 2E, and we have "house rules" that prevent munchkins...

... ie, a very strong "Karma," system that has a big "bang" for greedy people...

(What do you mean "My +5 Vorpal Sword was actually cursed, so when I rolled a 1, I beheaded myself? I traded a perfectly good +3 Frost-band and a Sword of Dancing to get that!") Ahem.

Besides, IMAO (and sometimes HO, but rarely...), the system doesn't really need to come into things that much if you run the games properly. We've been running a campaign for 18 months that has only seen two bouts of combat in the entire time, with any other (rare) dice rolls being to determine random events, successes and so forth.

It's all role-playing... I detest "roll playing."

So, pretty much, I don't care what system I'm playing... I'm just gonna keep perpetually whinging about the poor treatment that Gary Gygax Got... (Oooh! Who's alliterate now?)

(well this was very OT)

Not at all... You didn't mention the strip, so as trends go, it would be on topic! :D

At least, that's what the rest of the forum isn't about... :D

Cheers,

Antarius of Discussing-BtB
Resistance is OT
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:55 am

Antarius wrote:
...next time I'll take a screen dump!

Look, no matter what the "duel", you could at least pause to do that properly.

Sheesh!!
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:34 pm

With the content of our "duel," I thought it would be redundant!

Does this bring a new meaning to the idea of a "Duel Flush Toilet?"
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:33 am

err, prefer the straight flush, myself.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:52 pm

A Straight Flush? Is that like a Long Drop?

I demand an S-Bend, myself... It keeps that odour away - you know, the one that brings images of Kilo to mind...

... Speaking of which, where is he?
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kilo24 on Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:29 am

Zeevico wrote:What's so bad about 3E?

The thing about 3E is that it destroyed 2E, which had a large support, to merely simplify rules. It's like, say, destroying the Eiffel Tower because of several glaring though harmless imperfections, then creating a new Eiffel Tower on a completely new foundation. Yes, it may have skills and feats. Yes, it may have a simpler, more easily understood system. But, there are still imperfections such as 3 goblins worth 100 xp, sorcerers looking pretty for extra spells, any average joe having the ability to become a paladin, and whether Charisma is beauty or leadership. Logically, shouldn't creating a magic item involve learning, not losing experience? 15000 gold and a couple spells alone shouldn't make a suit of magic armor in my opinion. And the Psionics Handbook... oh god. It destroyed everything that was appealing to the class in 2E, changing it into a third spellcasting class (arcane, divine, and psionics.) Sumo 18 strength 'egoists' with a 3 intelligence and 3 wisdom using the power of their mind with ease. The energy thoroughly dominated by the mind coming forth, with the psion taking extra time to ensure the use of flashing lights, humming, and goo all over. The 'power points', which every spell, *ahem*, power level has the same cost. So much for the teleporting across planets being more exerting than a teleport into a spot 5 feet away. And what's that? I don't know how to charm a person, yet I can permanently place him under my control forever? Psionic items- I can understand if they are intellligent, but an unitelligent item that through sheer force of will manifests powers?
I'm not saying that 2E was perfect. It had plenty of problems, too. But it had so much more information in the rulebooks than 3E, making it seem less like a collection of rules and more like a guide to fantasy. In 3E, the simple rules, less information, and the frequency of the huge full-color pictures makes me think it to be more hack and slash. Of course, for the ease of rulemaking and the maximum profits, WOTC decided to use this system for the Star Wars RPG. Meaning, they replaced elves with wookies and swords with blasters, slapped a $30 sticker on it, and sent it to stores. They simplified the simple rules of 3E, destroyed RPing alltogether, made pretty logos and called it Chainmail. Next, Pokemon RPG (with flaming pokeballs +5.) If both 2E and 3e just came out yesterday, with all the rulebooks but no advantage of age, then I would consider them equal. But, WOTC tore down a great, though flawed masterpiece, to make room for their foundation of their great, though equally flawed masterpiece. Don't be so caught up with the improvements of the new edition as to forget the inevitable flaws. Then, looking at both of them in an equal light, decide the better.
Yes, I have played 3E and consider it a shame that WOTC destroyed 2E to make way for their $20 paperback handbooks.
Kilo24
Kilo24
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Major Tom on Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:25 am

apparently, he has an opinion on this one. :wink:
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kilo24 on Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:41 pm

Ah well, it came out in a burst. Nothing like a good ole 3E roasting.
Kilo24
Kilo24
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:54 pm

Antarius wrote:... Speaking of which, where is he?

well, now you know what he's been up to.

either that, or they are only releasing him on weekends now...
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Major Tom on Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:47 am

"Only??!!!

What do you mean "only??!!!
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:50 am

Mfafmm mfdmfmfm fmmm

(Translated: The worst thing is, "they" let him have my teeth!)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:02 am

gotta stop leaving them in that unguarded cauldron on the nightstand.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:28 am

Oh, all creatures of draconic descent have to leave their valuables unguarded.

I mean, you see it in almost every book, story, movie etc. So it must be true!

I mean, you live for millenia and you just get stupider and stupider. Must be the draconic version of Old-Timer's... (Hi Ian!)
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:35 am

Oh, look a ring!!

I wonder what it d--
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:39 am

Depends on who your DM is...

... If it was like one of the ones I first played with, it's a ring of teleport, but when you use it too cleverly for a couple of sessions, it suddenly turns out to have been a mistake and really transports you to an arch-wizard-bastard's laboratory, where you get disintegrated...

... bastard...

And it was a bloody boxed set too! Randall Morn, from memory...
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:44 am

I've noticed that arch-wizard-bastards get no respect...

pity
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:48 am

Major Tom wrote:pity

The don't get much o' that either... Just ask Maledict.
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:07 am

YOU ask 'im. He's not had the best month, you know.
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

Postby Antarius on Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:09 am

I don't believe you. :P
Antarius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Major Tom on Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:10 am

I don't not doubt it
Major Tom
Keenspot Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Bruno The Bandit