Slight change to the search engine

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Slight change to the search engine

Postby Arantor on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:44 am

Hi folks,
Anyone who's seen the advanced search page for Bruno may have wondered what was going on with the storylines - Civil War boasts 69 strips, but it was a 66-strip story, for example.

The reason is that the storyline system was the first thing I wrote in WordOwl, and featured the concept of all strips between two dates were part of that storyline, such that bonus strips get swallowed up too.

At some point in the next few weeks I'm going to sit down and switch it to the same system that Melonpool uses, so these irregularities will get straightened out.

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up in case they wondered what was going on. It just needs me to tweak a few things in the system elsewhere first though, and I wish I'd thought of this when I wrote the tags system back in July; I wouldn't have had 2,100 strips to classify... oh well. Such is life.

It may end up being that I do it in stages and have parts of it run in one method and parts in the other while I make the transition, but I don't know yet.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Slight change to the search engine

Postby Arantor on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:01 am

I realised at some awful hour this morning that I could mostly automate the process, so I did. I've moved it all online now, with everything tagged instead of blocked together.

Changes that I've made to the running order - there are three extra bits at the top, for the April Fools crossover strips, the Board Game preview strips and the Web Cartoonist Appreciation Day strip as these sat in the middle of other bits, but now sit at the top out the way. I might even make something that separates them (like a 'bonus stuff' heading or something, but I don't know yet)

There are currently 6 strips without tags: the four instances where the first strip is re-run when on a temporary hiatus, and the two Hurricana Katrina appeal strips - but I wasn't sure if these 6 should be given tags or what to do with them. (Well, it's not accurate to say they don't have tags, they just don't have visible tags...)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Bruno The Bandit