Why isn't this comic sponsored by STAR PIRATES?

A warrior (Bruno) and a small dragon (Fiona) team up for fun and plunder in this fantasy comic strip.

Moderators: kmd, Ian McDonald, Limax

Why isn't this comic sponsored by STAR PIRATES?

Postby qwerts on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Is it because your comic isn't set in space? You should remedy that and get sponsorship from STAR PIRATES.
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Why isn't this comic sponsored by STAR PIRATES?

Postby Ian McDonald on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:42 pm

I'd rather be sponsored by Space Chimps!
Ian McDonald
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Arantor on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:42 pm

I have to admit Star Pirates is one of the things stopping me finishing up on the transcriptions for WordOwl at the moment...
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Counterclockwise on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 am

Someone enlighten me as to what star pirates is/are?
Counterclockwise
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:15 am

It's an online browser-based game (no plugins, no Java, no Flash) game set in 2194; people have set out among the stars, while Earth itself has been near destroyed due to space object collisions.

Orbiting each of the planets are star-bases where you can trade, go mining, go salvaging or, of course, raid and pillage your fellow space farers. The game is real-time, in that you can be attacked when you're not online, but your ship will always be regenerated by "Regenabots", although if you are virtually destroyed you're out of the bulk of the game (in the "shipyard") for a period of time based on your level, e.g. I'm a level 17 pirate so if I were destroyed, I'd spend 17 minutes in the shipyard.

What you can do in the game is dictated by fuel, energy and research points, all of which come back over time.

You can also donate to the game and become "Notorious" for thirty days. This means you get extra goodies like fuel/energy/research all regenerating faster and a couple of other things.

The one other thing is: money is split into cargo and credit; cargo is what you physically have on you, credit is what's in the bank. Whenever you're around, cargo is potentially at risk from pillage and plunder. (You're safe from pillage and plunder while in the shipyard, which is an excellent time to go purchasing goodies from the markets, or conducting high-value trades with other players)

It's eerily addictive, I've found.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Counterclockwise on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm

I see.
I much prefer Warring Factions.

Similar setting, but the scope is larger. You control an empire of colonies in one of several factions, and you must colonize, research and conquer to come out on top.
Colonies have to be managed with hospitals, wages, local laws and different types of general building development, entertainment facilities, police stations, malls, and schools to keep your people healthy, happy, on the straight and narrow, and rich. In return, you can tax them or sell them food for credits, (which calculates every tick, which happens every 24 minutes), build ground defences, (AA batteries and Guided Missile launchers), construct research facilities, and mine resources, (iron, water, oil, copper, platinum, gold, diamonds, uranium, (which is important, as it is used for re-fueling fleets in mid space. Generally not used because your fleets auto refuel at planets), titanium, and silver), which you need to build better technology.

Technology is open-ended. It never ends, and can be of any sub-level of usefulness, as well as having different stats which are not rigidly connected, meaning that
a capital ship drive with more power may not be the best to use for a long distance transport ship, or perhaps you want a lighter cannon so you can fit a heavier drive on a ship hull. Armour and shielding are applied piece by piece, so you could choose, for example, to use a really light single barrel gun on that fighter so that you can squeeze a few units of armour on it.
It is created by hiring scientists, who automatically show up at your colonies, and setting them to work on a blueprint type in a research facility of you choosing with a budget of your giving.

All the strategy and tactics of the battle system are in the fleet design stage. Bombers, fighters, command frigates, destroyers, corvettes, battleships, and more all play different roles in the battle system, which doesn't simply match up mass or guns, but relies on complex algorithms to match up the ships.

It's somewhat complicated to learn, but once you have it downpat, the community is very unique and the game is really quite fun.

[url]death.war-facts.com[/url]
Counterclockwise
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bickendan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 am

I thought I was reading a description of Master of Orion III for a second there!
Bickendan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Counterclockwise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 pm

MoO III?

ugh. Now my stomach is feeling upset.
Counterclockwise
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bickendan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 am

You're not the only one.

That game had so much promise... and failed to deliver on such a level... I'm almost tempted to reinstall it from sheer boredom, thankfully averted by the knowledge that I have MoO II.
Bickendan
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Bruno The Bandit