Observations at the banquet

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Observations at the banquet

Postby Rombobj on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Well that answers that. Persephone did make it back. Not that I was really still doubting it, but this is the first we see of her since the throne room. She looks funny in that, um, veil or whatever it might be called.

Did you notice who's sitting next to Tim? I almost didn't. That should have raised a fair amount of eyebrows in the assembly.
TANSTAAFQ
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:48 pm

yes, for an assemblage that large, they seem pretty calm about all the wedding party members and guests. nick and ki are lucky, they have some pretty laid-back friends and families.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby fossil on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm

I can kind of understand Nick's side of the family accepting a slime mold in the wedding party and another mold and a bear on the guest list. Considering what Uncle Wisebottom must have put them through over the years, well-behaved* critters could well be the least of their concerns.

Ki's family and friends, on the other hand, might not be so tolerant.

Speaking of which, I can't find Ki's father in the crowd. Anyone else see him?

And speaking of missing persons, I'm not seeing Trudy either.

*"well-behaved": in Wallace's case, this applies only as long as he does not attempt to read his poetry to the other guests....
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:54 am

fossil wrote:Ki's family and friends, on the other hand, might not be so tolerant.

Keep in mind that Fred's existence is now common knowledge; he's appeared on TV, radio, and multiple other media outlets and is actually a bit of a celebrity. While Persephone's existence hasn't been advertised and few outside the core group have any first hand experience with Wallace, Fred's probably opened a door for non-humans to seem more acceptable. Of course, I'm sure there'll be a few raised eyebrows nonetheless....

fossil wrote:Speaking of which, I can't find Ki's father in the crowd. Anyone else see him? And speaking of missing persons, I'm not seeing Trudy either.

Patience.... ;)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby stjen on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:38 am

fossil wrote:*"well-behaved": in Wallace's case, this applies only as long as he does not attempt to read his poetry to the other guests....

Actually, I was wondering if they had specifically invited him to read some of his poetry *for* the wedding.... :wink:
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am

Did anyone else see the wombat?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby fossil on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 pm

stjen wrote:
fossil wrote:*"well-behaved": in Wallace's case, this applies only as long as he does not attempt to read his poetry to the other guests....

Actually, I was wondering if they had specifically invited him to read some of his poetry *for* the wedding.... :wink:

I think they would be as likely to invite a Vogon to do a reading....

"Tree bark, oh, tree bark, how rough art thee; like unto the boulder free..."

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Nay, lint of my navel. Thou art like unto the light, fresh fur on a newborn cub's bottom..."

I'll spare you any more -- even a thunder lizard has *some* feelings.

Of course, if they have trouble getting the guests to go home at the end of the reception, all they have to do is get Wallace to start reciting, and they'll clear the hall, pronto! :-D
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rombobj on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:05 am

jtdarlington wrote:Fred's probably opened a door for non-humans to seem more acceptable.

I thought so too, but I still think the guests were surprised to see Wallace. Persephone's presence should be less surprising. If there is one there might well be others. But the existence of a talking slime-mold-like being doesn't exactly imply that there are talking bears too.

Limax wrote:Did anyone else see the wombat?

No, that was you hallucinating. :-P
TANSTAAFQ
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:48 pm

ha! and now we see ki's father.

i suspect he and nick's father are going to get along like a house on fire. and i mean a real four-alarm fire, with exploding furnaces and trees going up like rockets.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 pm

I can just see it... Godzilla and um... some other big movie moster dude.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby stjen on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 am

King Kong? Mecha-Godzilla? Mothra? a Transformer?
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Oooh... how about Godzilla vs. the Power Rangers Megazord?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby fossil on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Although I can see Ki's father as some sort of movie monster of mythic stature, Nick's dad doesn't quite fit the mold. Ki's father would stomp a city if he got angry enough, and it wouldn't take very much to get him that angry.

On the contrary, Nick's father appears to be much harder to rouse to anger, and he seems more like the type to use words, with brute force only as a last resort. He may be tactless at times, but he's no loose cannon.

Godzilla vs. ... sorry, can't think of a fictional character who is relatively placid and sometimes uses his intelligence in annoying ways. Nominations from the floor?
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Limax on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:01 am

Uh... McGuyver?
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Solara Hanover on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:02 am

TONIGHT on Pay-Per-View! The epic battle! Armed with only a ballpoint pen and a tube sock, MacGyver will take on that monster of monsters... GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!
Save the whales, collect the whole set!

http://www.myspace.com/SolaraHanover
Solara Hanover
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kmd on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 am

I was picturing it more like MacGyver, standing there saying, "OK, I'm going to take this ordinary drinking straw, a disposable lighter and a can of hairspray and build an impromptu flamethrower..."

And while he's assembling it, Godzilla's foot comes down and squishes him, Monty Python-style. :D
kmd
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby stjen on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:15 pm

kmd wrote:I was picturing it more like MacGyver, standing there saying, "OK, I'm going to take this ordinary drinking straw, a disposable lighter and a can of hairspray and build an impromptu flamethrower..."

And while he's assembling it, Godzilla's foot comes down and squishes him, Monty Python-style. :D

More like that cartoon Classic, "Bambi meets Godzilla". (Hmm, I wonder if I can find a copy out on youtube -- Yes I can.)
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby Stretch Longfellow on Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:12 am

fossil wrote:And speaking of missing persons, I'm not seeing Trudy either.

And there she is, although we can't really see her face. I wonder what's going through her mind right now.
"So, Grimm, what did you do when you were trapped in that cathedral for hundreds of years?"
"Let's put it this way. I owe Varowin a lot of poker chips." ~Outtakes from The Ledger Story
Stretch Longfellow
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby fossil on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 am

What's going through Trudy's mind? Lots, I bet.

She was out cold for a good long time -- could be recovering from a concussion. She must be depressed, watching the only man she has ever really loved marry another woman. She doesn't dare tell anyone how she feels, since they think she's really NegaTrudy, who with good reason had grown to hate "her" Nick. She could be scared silly that she'll give herself away by saying too much, so she may not want to say much of anything, at least in present company.

Her self-control has certainly improved. After she watched the engagement scene, she fled, in tears. Now, she's just sitting there, and if she's crying, she's keeping it very quiet.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:19 pm

well, she's been through a lot since then. and she must realize that her nega-self has given her an incredible opportunity to change her life. from what maddie says, she's been given a new identity - a clean slate. i imagine she's doing a _lot_ of thinking.
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Return to General Protection Fault