ytpo?

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

ytpo?

Postby fossil on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:49 am

If dictionary.com has it right, Dexter is interpreting "shivery" correctly. What Ki probably means is "shivaree" from the French "charivari" which in turn goes back to a Latin or Greek word meaning "headache," a loud and obnoxious mock serenade for a newly married couple involving the banging of pots, pans, and whatever other noisemakers are available.

Somehow, that seems so ... analog, low tech, not quite the style of this crew. Any ideas what they might actually have in mind to harass the newlyweds?
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: ytpo?

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:28 am

fossil wrote:What Ki probably means is "shivaree" f-r-o-m the French "charivari"...

Correct. You wouldn't believe how much time I spent trying to get the spelling correct. Unfortunately, the only resource I could find was a excerpt f-r-o-m an old novel that spelled it the way it was originally spelled in the strip. I didn't think it looked right, but no matter what resource I tried and what search terms I used, I couldn't get what I was looking for. Even Wikipedia seemed to let me down, although now it turns out to be my extremely poor French skills that were the real culprit.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Re: ytpo?

Postby lukep on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 pm

jtdarlington wrote:
fossil wrote:What Ki probably means is "shivaree" f-r-o-m the French "charivari"...

Correct. You wouldn't believe how much time I spent trying to get the spelling correct. Unfortunately, the only resource I could find was a excerpt f-r-o-m an old novel that spelled it the way it was originally spelled in the strip. I didn't think it looked right, but no matter what resource I tried and what search terms I used, I couldn't get what I was looking for. Even Wikipedia seemed to let me down, although now it turns out to be my extremely poor French skills that were the real culprit.

Yes it is the correct spelling.

btw, "Le charivari" was also one of the first caricatural illustrated paper (featuring Daumier among others), so this reference is on the spot.

http://www.daumier.org/7.0.html
--
Lukep

Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. (Pratchett)
lukep
Junior Keenspotter

Return to General Protection Fault