Reaction to the 11/9/07 comic

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Reaction to the 11/9/07 comic

Postby punzil504 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:48 am

I know Fooker used to smoke, but I thought that he'd given it up by the time today's comic would have taken place. I remember that while Ki was trying to quit, he said that he quit drinking and smoking around the same time.

Did he tend to fall off the bandwagon as James Baud?
punzil504
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rombobj on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 am

I think he lit the cigarette just so that people wouldn't wonder where the smoke came from when the peanuts self-destructed.
TANSTAAFQ
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:26 pm

i'm trying to remember how long it's been since people could smoke on an airplane...
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby stjen on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:03 pm

I believe that smoking on international flights was allowed for some years longer than it was allowed on domestic flights. (They may have banned smoking on international flights somewhat recently, at least on some airlines. I also think that Pilots are allowed to smoke, for whatever sick reasons they may have.)
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby fossil on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:27 am

stjen wrote:...I also think that Pilots are allowed to smoke, for whatever sick reasons they may have.)

Hmm.... I don't think I'd want to be flying in a plane with someone in the cockpit going through acute nicotine withdrawal. :o On the other hand, there are patches, gums, etc., these days that should be able to help someone in that situation.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 pm

I thought that he was on 1st class... (And you've heard all those stories about how 1st class passengers can get away with whatever they want...)
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby fossil on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 pm

If I were in first class and could get away with anything I wanted to, and Fooker were in first class and polluting ***MY*** air and attacking my stomach with his filthy, stinking, cigarette smoke thinking that _he_ could get away with anything, then I think I would try to get away with breaking the nearest window with his head and then throwing him out and his tobacco after him.

:evilgrin:

Please don't get me wrong. Smokers have the right to smoke.

BUT NOT WHERE I HAVE TO INHALE IT!!!
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Post a link?

Postby Unix on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 am

Could someomne do me a favor and post a link to the strip in question?

Looked at Monday 11/5 and Monday 11/12 and see nothing about a plane or fooker smoking

Just had some turkey at lunch.. maybe I'm having a tryptophan high and not seeing something obvious? :oops:

-T-
Unix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby fossil on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:49 pm

The reference is to last Friday's (11/16/2007) installment of the bonus story from Book 2, where Fooker is off to a U.G.A. assignment and Fred stows away to go with him, and they're on an airplane.

I don't think you can see it now, though -- the Friday strips disappear back into the woodwork as soon as the Monday strips show up.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Graeystone on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 am

stjen wrote:I believe that smoking on international flights was allowed for some years longer than it was allowed on domestic flights. (They may have banned smoking on international flights somewhat recently, at least on some airlines. I also think that Pilots are allowed to smoke, for whatever sick reasons they may have.)

I guess the airplane owners think if the pilots need a bad habit, it's better to have a smoker than a drunk/stoner flying the planes.
Revelation14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils."-General John Stark

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." - John Adams
Graeystone
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 am

fossil wrote:I don't think you can see it now, though -- the Friday strips disappear back into the woodwork as soon as the Monday strips show up.

Or they're as close as your bookshelf, assuming you have a copy of the second book.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Smoking and alertness

Postby CustomDesigned on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:30 am

Graeystone wrote:
stjen wrote:I believe that smoking on international flights was allowed for some years longer than it was allowed on domestic flights. (They may have banned smoking on international flights somewhat recently, at least on some airlines. I also think that Pilots are allowed to smoke, for whatever sick reasons they may have.)

I guess the airplane owners think if the pilots need a bad habit, it's better to have a smoker than a drunk/stoner flying the planes.

Unlike alcohol, nicotine enhances alertness. Too bad it does such a nasty number on heart and lungs in the process. I would suggest that pilots acquire a tea drinking habit to improve alertness instead. It is actually good for you. Tea is a better alertness enhancer than coffee, because it contains theanine along with caffeine. Caffeine alone just keeps you awake. Theanine alone promotes alpha state (trance). Both together promote what the Chinese call "tea mind" - a state of relaxed alertness.
CustomDesigned
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rombobj on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:11 pm

I think spilling tea on the control panel of an airplane probably isn't a very good idea.
TANSTAAFQ
Rombobj
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:49 pm

lidded cups?
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby Limax on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:38 am

jtdarlington wrote:
fossil wrote:I don't think you can see it now, though -- the Friday strips disappear back into the woodwork as soon as the Monday strips show up.

Or they're as close as your bookshelf, assuming you have a copy of the second book.

Grrr.... I haven't found my copy of the second book since we moved two years ago.....
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to General Protection Fault