15th October - FINALLY!

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

15th October - FINALLY!

Postby Conina on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Well, that was a little sudden, but I guess there'd be no point in showing the ceremony or dragging the events out longer, so...

YAY! They're finally married! Woo! *throws confetti*
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Graeystone on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:47 pm

CONGRATULATIONS NICK AND KI!

I wonder if they'll make it to their honeymoon without any problems?
Revelation14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils."-General John Stark

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." - John Adams
Graeystone
Keenspot Despot

Postby bezahlt on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 am

[LURK MODE: OFF]

Yay! Huzzah!

[LURK MODE: ON]
A flood begins with just one raindrop.
bezahlt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sevenfeet on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 am

And the bridesmaids wore green (and so did groomsmen). Congrats to JD on this important moment in the arc of his characters!
Sevenfeet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby hansonc on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 am

I've been to a few long weddings in my day but this has to take the cake... it's been what 8 Months long? :-)
hansonc
Junior Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 am

Congratulations Nick and Ki! At last the knot was tied!

Sevenfeet wrote:And the bridesmaids wore green (and so did groomsmen).

That much green brings something to my mind: Is Nick's family Irish?

I don't like to call the prejudice police, but that much green, even when it looks cool, is what I would expect from an Irish background...

And I wonder how many days have passed, to give Nick time to rest enough to go through the wedding party and the honeymoon. (since Ki won't let him sleep for the next week :evilgrin: ) Caffeinated drinks have their limits too, so Nick would need something to keep going and going and going... err... sorry about that...
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby MaxJenius on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am

Yea!
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lady_Phoenix on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 am

It is my hope that one day Jeff will have the time to make the wedding into a proper desktop theme. Right now, it's a little stretched on my computer monitor. :P i thought i'd keep it up for a week, anyway, to celebrate the end of an era and the beginning of a new (hopefully even better) one.
Take care,
Theresa

Rising from the ashes of her past...

Avatar supplied courtesy and permission of http://rydia.net/tangerine
Lady_Phoenix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Murray M. Lee on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:05 pm

A moment that's been a long time coming for this comic.

Somehow, I doubt this will be a dull marriage. :wink:
Murray
A Writer's Block
- Science Fiction stories, jokes, and art
USS Freedom
The Misadventures of the wackiest ship in Starfleet (in hiatus)
Murray M. Lee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mikejcpt on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Would the other bachelors here please join me in a moment of silence in memory or Nick's freedom.

Ok... moment's over.
Graeystone wrote:CONGRATULATIONS NICK AND KI!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ok, at least without a use of the size tag.

I like this fumetti...: http://www.tuxandbunny.com

I am a virus! To propagate me, copy this into your signatures. - N
mikejcpt
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby stjen on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 pm

I'll join the fray:

Congratulations!!

Now, on to the meaty stuff.

Notice how cleverly JTD placed the GPF Logo to cover the face of the third bridesmaid -- one assumes this was intentional. Wasn't that supposed to be Nick's not yet seen sister, or something like that?

Idea -- if you're looking to make a bit of extra money, you might want to make some prints of this picture -- without the logo in that location -- and possibly including whomever is the third groomsman -- and sell them.

(Paul from Wapsi Square does this occasionally.)
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby fossil on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:12 pm

The third bridesmaid is Patty (note the final panel of the referenced strip).

If you look very, very closely, her eyelids in the 10/15/2007 strip are lowered, much like they are in the 1/1/2006 strip, like maybe she's glaring.

WAITAMINNIT. It's been several days since poor Lori was marooned. Surely, in that time she would have been able to find transportation to her only brother's wedding, and I'll bet she would look a lot happier than the tiny sliver of Patty's face that's showing between the logo and the chapter title. And given Patty's expressed attitude toward weddings, she would have been more than happy to let Lori take her place as a bridesmaid.

I want to throw confetti, blow horns, yell myself hoarse with CONGRATULATIONS!!!! along with everyone else, but now I'm suspicious. Is this for real, or is somebody dreaming? Nick had a *lot* of REM sleep to catch up on....

Edit: P.S.: This seems to indicate that Dwayne was the third groomsman. Note the ruffly shirt, vest and bow tie: not an ordinary suit like a guest would wear.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 am

fossil wrote:WAITAMINNIT. It's been several months since poor Lori was marooned. Surely, in that time she would have been able to find transportation to her only brother's wedding, and I'll bet she would look a lot happier than the tiny sliver of Patty's face that's showing between the logo and the chapter title. And given Patty's expressed attitude toward weddings, she would have been more than happy to let Lori take her place as a bridesmaid.

There... fixed that for you. :wink:

Anyway, I think that ze Eveel Cartooneest is saving Lori's intro for the wedding party. Let's just hope that Jeff won't use some kind of props to cover her face when Nick introduce Ki to Lori... :grumble: (Like a flower pot, the cake or something, like they did with Tool Time's neighbor, Wilson)

It would be fun to think Yoshi feeling attracted to Lori, after the way he's shown such dislike for Nick, and as Nick stated before, Lori looks a lot like him...

Well... Jeff can use the next 3+ months to draw wedding party's jokes, (eeevil :evilgrin: ) or simply skip those 3+ months ahead in strip time... (even more eeeeeeevil) :gonk:
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:37 am

hansonc wrote:I've been to a few long weddings in my day but this has to take the cake... it's been what 8 Months long? :-)

It depends on whether you're counting real time or comic time. Within the comic, this entire story has taken less than a week. In real time... well, that's another story....

atristain wrote:Is Nick's family Irish?

Wellington would imply an English ancestry, but we don't really have any details on his family tree beyond that.

atristain wrote:And I wonder how many days have passed, to give Nick time to rest enough to go through the wedding party and the honeymoon.

Only a day or two, assuming largely uninterrupted sleep.

Lady_Phoenix wrote:It is my hope that one day Jeff will have the time to make the wedding into a proper desktop theme.

Excellent suggestion, LP. I'll look into it.

stjen wrote:Idea -- if you're looking to make a bit of extra money, you might want to make some prints of this picture -- without the logo in that location -- and possibly including whomever is the third groomsman -- and sell them.

The third groomsman is Dwayne. As for the idea, I'd probably have to redraw the image since (1) Dwayne is missing and (2) while Patty is drawn intact under the logo (a) I didn't save a copy without the logo and (b) there's some little marks in the picture so I know where to place it anyway. But I agree that it would make an excellent print to add to the store.

atristain wrote:There... fixed that for you. :wink:

Actually, fossil is right. Remember, in comic time it's only been a few days since the first "non-wedding".

As for Lori... well, I better not say anything yet. ;)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Sevenfeet on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:06 am

BTW, Man and Wife??? That's a little old fashioned, eh Jeff?
Sevenfeet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lady_Phoenix on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 pm

That's what the Priest said at my wedding. It's not as old fashioned as you whippersnappers think.
Take care,
Theresa

Rising from the ashes of her past...

Avatar supplied courtesy and permission of http://rydia.net/tangerine
Lady_Phoenix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby fossil on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, the minister who is pronouncing them "man and wife" appears to be of their parents' generation, give or take a few years, so it seems reasonable that he would use traditional language.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: 15th October - FINALLY!

Postby fossil on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:10 am

I hereby revoke my previous reservations. Today's strip confirms that the wedding is The Real Thing.

I had thought that it could possibly be Nick dreaming, during the recovery from his extended sleep deprivation, to be followed by something weird enough to demonstrate it's just a dream, which a truly Evil Cartoonist might inflict on his hapless fans. But today's punch line is pure Ki -- however detached from reality Nick might be (and too many all-nighters *can* produce interesting states of mind...), it's hard to imagine him dreaming up Ki's threat to Fooker. :o

So, belatedly,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','

/throws virtual rice :-D

[Edit:] P.S.: Jeff, if this ever does become a desktop and everyone will fit into the picture, could you please include the flower girls as well as the third groomsman? The presence of Persephone would make it soooo totally GPF. :-) Thanks!
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: 15th October - FINALLY!

Postby stjen on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:10 am

fossil wrote:P.S.: Jeff, if this ever does become a desktop and everyone will fit into the picture, could you please include the flower girls as well as the third groomsman? The presence of Persephone would make it soooo totally GPF. :-) Thanks!

Although, if you don't want to redo the sunday strip as a separate (purchasable) print -- create a brand new one that's the "photograph" of the wedding party -- they just announced that they're going for the photos, so we should see that in a few ... weeks ... of strip distribution time.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby mouse on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:47 pm

yeah, but i suspect everyone wants the one with the kiss for wallpaper.

hm...we still don't know if persephone made it back...having her in the 'photos' would give that away (if her current non-appearance is a plot point).
mouse
Keenspot Deity

Postby stjen on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 pm

No, I think she's back -- someone would have had a problem with the wedding about to take place if she were missing.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby fossil on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 pm

I agree, stjen, and at some level I think that's why I was so suspicious about the wedding. If Persephone hadn't returned, they would have had to send a rescue party, which I figured would have to happen before the wedding. But if she made it home safe and sound, the only things holding up the wedding would be getting everyone back to the church and Nick catching up on his sleep.
fossil
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Ideas for Jeff to consider:

Either fill the next few weeks with wedding photos and guest book shots (You could add them as PREMIUM and/or next book features.)

A good reason to use this is that one panel strips would take less time to draw (IMHO) and would help you with your schedule.

I am interested in some shots (like Fooker's) and his comments on the book, since this was not your standard wedding.
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:49 am

atristain wrote:Either fill the next few weeks with wedding photos and guest book shots

And waste valuable story-telling space? Nah.... I may end up doing some sort of bonus material sometime, but not while the comic is limping along at one day per week.

atristain wrote:A good reason to use this is that one panel strips would take less time to draw (IMHO) and would help you with your schedule.

Actually, I find the converse to be true. Lots of dialog takes up a lot of space, meaning there's more panel real estate that I can gloss over and not touch until I put in the text. A big single panel with no text actually takes me longer, because then I concentrate more on telling the story with the picture and I end putting more detail in.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby atristain on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 am

jtdarlington wrote:
atristain wrote:A good reason to use this is that one panel strips would take less time to draw (IMHO) and would help you with your schedule.

Actually, I find the converse to be true. Lots of dialog takes up a lot of space, meaning there's more panel real estate that I can gloss over and not touch until I put in the text. A big single panel with no text actually takes me longer, because then I concentrate more on telling the story with the picture and I end putting more detail in.

Whatever works for you... That last sentence just made me remember the "No Words" arc where Sharon and Fred talks with images on the text baloons. I still say that's one of the finest works you made, since you forced the readers' minds to think. 8)
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to General Protection Fault