UPDATED: Forum now open to all registered users!

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

UPDATED: Forum now open to all registered users!

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:19 am

As long-time Faultie forumites here have know, the GPF forum has been a consistent target of forum spammers for quite some time now. It has been discussed for around a year and a half now, and many proposed solutions have been suggested and considered. Unfortunately, due to several limiting factors, my hands are severely tied on what I can and cannot do to combat this problem. And while I've been incredibly grateful to all the volunteer moderators who have contributed to the fight, I'm afraid this has been a losing battle. I've finally decided enough is enough, and I'm implementing a drastic measure that has already been discussed at length.

Effective immediately, the GPF forum is a members-only forum. That means that only users who are members of the "GPF Forumites" group will have access to post here. However, membership in this group is open to anyone who wishes to join; details on how to join will be listed below. Note that join requests will require my approval; however, I intend to keep a very open policy and will likely approve anyone who asks unless they exhibit unacceptable behavoir. Anonymous read access is still enabled, so lurkers may continue to lurk and read to their hearts content without having to register or join the group.

If you have posted here since January 2007, you should be "grandfathered" into the group automatically. I have gone through all threads that have u-p-d-a-t-e-d since January and automatically added every username I could find. Note that threads that originated before January but were last u-p-d-a-t-e-d after January 1 are included in this list, so you may be grandfathered in even if you haven't posted in a while. (Also note this is a very manual process, so yes, I had to go thread by thread to look for usernames to add.)

If you have posted here before but weren't grandfathered in, please do not feel offended or slighted. I only have so much time and was unable to go back through every single thread on this forum to grandfather everyone who's ever posted here. It's also possible that I accidentally missed your login as I manually searched through the threads for names. If you find that you no longer have posting access to the GPF forum, please follow the procedure below to join the group. It will likely only take a day at most, hopefully less than a couple hours for me to approve you.

If you are a Keenspotter or KeenTOONer, I've added these private groups to the access list and you don't need to request separate access to the GPF group. Similarly, if you are a PREEMIE and have access to the PREMIUM-only forum, you are also automatically granted access. You will only need to request direct access if you are somehow removed f-r-o-m those other groups.

If you don't have posting access to the forum, here's how to join the group:
  1. Register for a new KeenForum account if you haven't created one already.
  2. Go to the GPF Forumites group page. Either click this direct link or click on the Usergroups link in the upper right corner, s-e-l-e-c-t "GPF Forumites" f-r-o-m the Join a Group list, and click the View Information button.
  3. Click the Join Group button to submit the join request.
  4. I will receive an e-mail informing me of your request and will approve you. Please be patient if there is a delay in approving your request. I should get your request within an hour, but be prepared to wait a full day if I am unable to get online right away.
More details can be found in the phpBB documentation.

At this point, I have no idea if this is a permanent change or a temporary one. Ideally, it will be temporary. I have proposed changes to the KeenForum setup that would eliminate a good deal of the spam that hits here, and if those changes are implemented I will likely lift this restriction so anyone who is a KeenForumite can post. If you have objections to this policy, feel free to complain, but don't expect any changes. If you really want to implement a change, you have two options:
  1. Convince the spammers to leave us alone
  2. Convince the Keenspot powers that be to implement site-wide anti-forum-spam countermeasures.
Last edited by jtdarlington on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 am

Due to recent improvements in our anti-spam efforts, I'm re-opening this forum for all registered KeenForum users. So as of this post, you no longer have to be in the "GPF Forumites" group to post. However, I reserve the right to flip the switch back if our spam problems resurface. If you wish to guarantee uninterrupted access to this forum in the unlikely event that this happens, feel free to request access to the group as detailed above. If you're in the group, you'll have access regardless of the forum's public status.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Return to General Protection Fault