Gentle Reminder of Forum Rules

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Gentle Reminder of Forum Rules

Postby jtdarlington on Thu May 23, 2002 6:12 am

Hey, gang. I've been a bit lax about this lately, but I've noticed over the past few months (while the message boards were working) that there's been some changes in tone here on the board. While I despise the idea of having to censor posts, I think it might be a good idea to remind everyone of the forum rules, which are normally located in the Community section of the GPF site (http://www.gpf-comics.com/community/fairuse.html). I'll repost it here for your convenience:

The GPF Community is provided as a service to the GPF readership community at large as a way for our readers to meet, greet, socialize, and otherwise get to know one another. Because GPF readers (or "Faulties") can be a very diverse group (aside from their love of a certain comic strip), we ask that all those who use these facilities please treat each other with the respect and courtesy due to them. They are, after all, open and public forums, and we make no restrictions on who may or may not enter and post.

We respectfully ask that you refrain from making posts in any form of offensive nature, including but not limited to: offensive, abusive, or obscene language; intolerance to any individual or group of individuals based on their gender, race, religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, or other common grouping nature; harassment of other posters; abuse of system resources (excessive posts, flooding, spamming, etc.); or attempts to crack, hack, or break the servers. While we have the capability to ban posters from our community, we really don't want to. Violators of these policies will be banned, which will ruin our day and make us pretty sad. Don't make us sad, please.

That said, we here at GPF cannot be held responsible for any message or post text (or images) posted by our readers. We will do our best to keep our community a clean, friendly place for Faulties to meet, but we cannot control our users' actions, and they all have minds of their own. GPF cannot and will not endorse or support any idea posted by readers in our forums.

See our Privacy Statement for detailed information on your privacy information here at GPF. We cannot be held responsible for any privacy violations that may occur on servers other than our own, such as IRC servers or the Keenspot message boards.

The only additional rule that I neglected to mention on the "fair use" page was the inlining of images from other sites. We don't like having our images inlined, so we don't want to see other people's images inlined on our boards. If you are going to include an image in your post, make sure that you either have control over the image itself or have the permission of the person who posted it online before using it. If you want to link to a comic--GPF or otherwise--please provide a hyperlink to the HTML page where the strip can be loaded. Inlining an image without the owner's permission can be viewed in some cases as a violation of copyright and at the least represents a loss of potential revenue through excessive bandwidth. (See this question in the GPF FAQ for more details on why we think this is important.)

I have always said that Faulties are an incredible, wonderful bunch of people, and you guys tend to prove that over and over again. Of the potential violations mentioned above, the only one that really stands out of late is the use of offensive language. This has been creeping in over the past few months in greater quantities, to the point that I have received private complaints from some regular posters. So I ask that you please refrain from using such language, out of courtesy to your fellow posters. You are all intelligent and quite often creative individuals, and I'm sure you can express yourselves in ways that will be respectful for all those present.

I've always been rather proud of the fact that I've never had to seriously censor posts or ban posters. Please don't make me start.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby jtdarlington on Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:49 am

The Online Comics Shameless Self Promotion Thread:

We have now added a new thread on the GPF forums called The Online Comics Shameless Self Promotion Thread. This thread is intended for Faulties who have their own comics or would like to promote their favorite comics to plug these strips here on the message boards for all to see. We ask that anyone seeking to promote their own strip should post about it there, following the rules set forth in the first post in that thread. Any "Read my strip!" posts made outside this thread will be deleted as spam (see below).

Spam Threads:

A thread is considered a "spam thread" if it is (1) obviously off-topic and does not pertain to GPF or geek-related topics in general, (2) a online comic self promotional post made outside the Shameless Self Promotion thread, and/or (3) cross-posted to two more more Keenspot comic forums. These rules are subjective and decisions about what is or isn't a spam thread will be made by me; all such decisions will be final. All spam threads will be promptly deleted. If an individual continues to post spam threads repeatedly, their forum ID will be banned.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:34 pm

Handling Spam or "Attack" Threads:

As mentioned above, it is the repsponsibility of the forum moderators and administrators to remove spam threads, as well as "attack" threads. ("Attack" threads are usually off-topic threads or "hijacked" existing threads where individuals or a coordinated group post grossly off-topic or otherwise offensive posts in rapid succession in an attempt to disrupt or otherwise take over a thread or entire forum.) As such, regular forum denizens should refrain from posting or otherwise ignore such posts. In general, "feeding trolls" only encourages them and makes matters worse. Note that if an existing thread has been hijacked, every attempt will be made to salvage the thread and only the affected posts will be deleted. However, if a new thread is started by a spammer/attacker (or if a hijacked thread cannot be salvaged), then the entire thread will be deleted, including any posts made by normal posters.

As with spam, "attack" posts and threads will be deleted and the subsequent forum IDs and/or IP addresses they posted from will be banned.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:32 am

Okay, this one isn't a hard and fast rule, but think of it as a strong suggestion. ;)

Forum Date Conventions

The GPF forum is by and large an international arena, with Faulties participating from across the globe (and who knows, perhaps from beyond). As such, there has often been confusion over how to represent dates, especially in topic subject lines. Unfortunately, there are many ways of numericly representing the same date (MM/DD/YYYY, DD/MM/YYYY, YYYY-MM-DD, etc.), and each part of the world uses different ones. Unforutnately, this has actually led to heated arguments in the past over which convention is "better," derailing healthy discussion about the topic of the forum: GPF.

To help alleviate such confusion, we propose the following forum standard date convention:
  • Never use numeric months. Since the GPF forum is an English forum, please use either the full English month name ("December") or its common abbreviation ("Dec"). This will help disambiguate the month from the day of the month, which can often be confused. (Two common date conventions are MM/DD/YYYY (in the U.S.) and DD/MM/YYYY (Europe and many other nations), which are easy to confuse during certain parts of the year.)
  • Please use the full four-digit year ("2005"). This will help prevent it from being confused with numeric months or days (at least until 2032 ;) ).

Using this convention, the order in which each part is displayed becomes irrelevant, as they become easily distiguishable from the others. Please use this convention whenever necessary out of respect to Faulties who may use a different local standard than you.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:22 am

Posting access to this forum now requires membership in a "GPF Forumites" group. Membership to this group is open but requires administrator approval. Anonymous visitors and non-group members are still free to lurk and read as much as they wish. For more details, please see this separate announcement thread.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Return to General Protection Fault