Boxes of packing peanuts...

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Boxes of packing peanuts...

Postby Mr. Bill on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:00 am

We have a large cardboard box (I think the 36 crt TV came in it) filled with packing peanuts. It was one of the kids favorite toys (and yes, they sink until you can't see them. We've lost shoes...)

:lol:
Mr. Bill
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:37 am

Packing peanuts reminds me of the greatest practical joke ever. I haven't done this, but I saw pictures of it on the internet years ago.

Someone taped up the door of a coworker's cubicle with plastic wrap. Because it was clear, this was pretty much an invisible barrier. Then they dumped pink packing peanuts into the cubicle until it was full. It looked awesome, just a wall of peanuts where the opening of the cubicle should be.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 am

Packing peanuts are wonderful things. Espically the biodegrabable ones made of corn starch that are technically edible. Technically.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby damp_dave on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:41 pm

bloodeye wrote:... biodegrabable ones made of corn starch that are technically edible. Technically.

Have you ever eaten one'a them "rice cake" things? ;)

I've heard of someone taping clear plastic to both sides of the cube dorway, and filling up the space in between with (pink!) foam peanuts. Looked like the cube was full, but it wasn't. I remember that those walls were too tall to see over. (I was there long after the fact; it was a legendary exploit by that time.)

-dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:14 pm

CodeGuy wrote:Packing peanuts reminds me of the greatest practical joke ever. I haven't done this, but I saw pictures of it on the internet years ago.
It's one among a few cubicle interior design options shown half a page down on http://pinkytoe.stumbleupon.com

Looking around a bit, I like the following better (although it doesn't involve packing peanuts) http://officepranks.forbes.com/displayvideo/8D2A637F8F3233AE136E067E9B2FC8FC/18158
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mr. Bill on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 pm

You know, I bet a several-stories high box of packing peanuts would burn in a really impressive fashion...
Mr. Bill
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby towr on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:53 am

I don't think packing peanuts burn that well, but the box itself would burn well.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:41 am

Depends on the style of peanuts. Some burn really really well, some are fairly flame resistant, though still burn.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby John Campbell on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:07 pm

bloodeye wrote:Packing peanuts are wonderful things. Espically the biodegrabable ones made of corn starch that are technically edible. Technically.

The nonbiodegradable kind are technically edible, too.

In college, one of my acquaintances was the target of a tamer version of the packing peanut cubicle prank... someone covered his bed about a foot deep in styrofoam packing peanuts. I happened to be around when he discovered it and exclaimed, "How am I going to get rid of all these packing peanuts?" to which I responded by shrugging and saying, "Eat 'em."

"You can't eat packing peanuts," said he.

"Sure you can," I replied.

"No, you can't. They're, like, styrofoam!"

"Yes, you can. See?" Whereupon I grabbed a handful of packing peanuts and ate them, thereby scoring points on both the "John is weird" scale and the "proving random nonsensical points" scale.

I was kind of burpy for a couple days after that, but there were no serious or lasting ill effects. And they tasted better than some of the stuff the cafeteria served, in that I had no difficulty in swallowing them without vomiting, which I couldn't say for the cafeteria's utterly vile turkeyburgers.
John Campbell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Heng on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:03 am

packing peanuts... burning... i don`t want to sound too utterly realistic, but shouldn`t gav be suffocating in tons of black smoke right now?
Heng
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Looking at the strip, the peanuts are only about ankle high, with empty fire extinguishers taking up some of that space. The fire also looks like it's just starting to eat into the box, so it might not have reached the peanuts on the floor yet.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mr. Bill on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:27 pm

the peanuts are only about ankle high

That's for clarity NOW. Originally, he climbed in at the top of the stack and SANK many feet while demonstrating "how to float."
Mr. Bill
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Yeah, he did. That box was at the top, then there was a fall, and now his speech bubbles are coming from the box that's floor level with Jez. I'm guessing he burst through the bottom of that box, taking some of the peanuts with him. That would mean that the box above him is putting out tons of smoke, but he's below that.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees