Page 1 of 1

06 Random Bag of Fun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:17 am
by Wafath
To whomever contributed the spectroscope to the Random Bag of Fun, I wanted to thank you. I have always kind of wanted to have one of them around since we used them in high-school chemistry class, and I appreciated getting one.

I feel just a little bit more dorky now, in a good way, for having one around. And it was cool to look at the LCD screen with it. :)

W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm
by Gav
Yeah, that was my favorite of the reader-donated gifts. I played with it a bit before sending it along. It's fun to look at flourescent lights or a tinted light (it's amazing how much of a "red" light or a "blue" light isn't red or blue).

The person who sent that has consistently sent the best stuff for all three years straight. You guys would be quite challenged to beat him.

Actually, he makes my life very difficult morally, as every year I'm tempted to just keep the stuff he sends. ;)

What about you others? Get anything good? You should mostly all have your gifts now (there are two that haven't gone out yet due to (1) a late arrival that was mailed Dec 21 but was delivered just two days ago and (2) me not being able to find the right sized box).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:34 pm
by STrRedWolf
I've just got my random item! *rrrrrrrrrrrriiipp shread shread*

Oooooo "Unweaving the Rainbow" by Richard Dawkins. Should be intresting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:03 pm
by mouse
i got "freakonomics", which i have been telling myself i should read, but i was trying to keep out of bookstores because i buy too much - so now i can read it without also aquiring a ton of other books!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:51 pm
by HiFranc
I got The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists by Gideon Defoe and a magic bean plant. I'll read the book when I've finished with my current books (have 2). I keep worrying whether I'm giving the bean enough water (or, for that matter, drowning it).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:20 pm
by HiFranc
Thank you for them.

Flight of Fancy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:39 pm
by Fading Aura
I received the Air Pilot's Manual: Flying Training and a calendar with 365 tiny paper airplanes for Agnostica. Ironic since I'm not terribly fond of flying in an airplane (read: it looks cool out the window but the idea of traveling that way makes me nervous). Hopefully, after I read the book, I'll be able to place my fears into more logical places, like finding a career. :P Thank you to whoever contributed this gift!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:52 am
by the Siliconopolitan
Those are some very imaginative gifts. I really have to start putting more thought into this.

I guess I'm the one getting the late gift. I've been away for quite some time, but nothing seems to have been left for me, so it's prolly still in the mail.

So Happy Agnostica still -- you can't prove that it's over yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 pm
by Q99
the Siliconopolitan wrote:Those are some very imaginative gifts. I really have to start putting more thought into this.

I guess I'm the one getting the late gift. I've been away for quite some time, but nothing seems to have been left for me, so it's prolly still in the mail.


Me as well. I hope everyone else is enjoying theirs!

Re: Flight of Fancy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:39 pm
by Gav
Fading Aura wrote:I received the Air Pilot's Manual: Flying Training and a calendar with 365 tiny paper airplanes for Agnostica.


Hee, those were actually two separate gifts that were sent in separate two-gift entries that I combined because I thought they would go together more appropriately...

the Siliconopolitan wrote:I guess I'm the one getting the late gift. I've been away for quite some time, but nothing seems to have been left for me, so it's prolly still in the mail.


Actually, you weren't late (mailed on Jan 2), but since you're in Denmark, it may have taken longer. Hopefully, you've gotten it by now.

Last year, I had a bad address for a gift going to Australia, which was returned to me something like 3-4 months later. I sat on it for another month before figuring out the real address, then sent it back. That person's Agnostica lasted all the way until HIS Australian winter!

Re: Flight of Fancy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:56 pm
by the Siliconopolitan
Gav wrote:
the Siliconopolitan wrote:I guess I'm the one getting the late gift. I've been away for quite some time, but nothing seems to have been left for me, so it's prolly still in the mail.


Actually, you weren't late (mailed on Jan 2), but since you're in Denmark, it may have taken longer. Hopefully, you've gotten it by now.

Last year, I had a bad address for a gift going to Australia, which was returned to me something like 3-4 months later. I sat on it for another month before figuring out the real address, then sent it back. That person's Agnostica lasted all the way until HIS Australian winter!

Oh ... well, I knew I put in the order pretty close to Christmas, so I thought it might've been delayed.

Nothing had arrived as of yesterday, but I guess giving it another week or so won't hurt. It's not like we've had any real winter yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:38 pm
by Gav
Oh wait a minute... Yours was the questionable one. I think I emailed you but didn't get an answer, so I chanced it...

You sent the Sheldon book, right? I did warn specifically about this this year on the website--you shouldn't send me stuff directly from the publisher unless you're 100% certain that your address will be included.

Since the Sheldon book came directly from the publisher, I didn't have your address. So I had to use your address from last year, which was the Chemistry department of the University of Southern Denmark. If you're not still there, then maybe the Chem department got a nice surprise this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:00 pm
by the Siliconopolitan
Gav wrote:Oh wait a minute... Yours was the questionable one. I think I emailed you but didn't get an answer, so I chanced it...

You sent the Sheldon book, right? I did warn specifically about this this year on the website--you shouldn't send me stuff directly from the publisher unless you're 100% certain that your address will be included.

Since the Sheldon book came directly from the publisher, I didn't have your address. So I had to use your address from last year, which was the Chemistry department of the University of Southern Denmark. If you're not still there, then maybe the Chem department got a nice surprise this year.


Ah - mea culpa, then. I'm very sorry. I did put in a note asking them to include it, but they must have missed it in the hurry.

The department must indeed have had a nice surprise. I guess I'll have to pop by at some point and see if I still have a mail box there.

Ah well, I'll hopefully learn the lesson next, or rather this, year. Find something original and don't try to save on the postage.

Happy post-Agnostica.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:17 pm
by Q99
A bit delayed but mine finally arrived.

"The worst-case scenario survival handbook"


Thanks to whomever sent it, it's really fun! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 am
by Dusty
Q99 wrote:A bit delayed but mine finally arrived.

"The worst-case scenario survival handbook"


Thanks to whomever sent it, it's really fun! :D


Glad you like it!

I got a ninja remote control, supposedly letting me turn on or off any television and adjust the volume and channel. It works on one of my TVs at home and not on the other one. I haven't tested it in public yet, but may try to see if I can change the channel on the TV at the bank soon.

I'd thought of getting one of those universal remotes to turn off TVs in public places for a while now, so thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:50 pm
by the Siliconopolitan
Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah ...

I don't think the bag is all that random.

I've just received my lost mail from the department (of Chemistry) and lo and behold it's a Periodic Showercurtain.

Couldn't be better. I can never find a periodic table when I need one (sadly, mostly for doing the Chemistry World Crosswords lately).

Thank you to whomever contributed that. It certainly made my day.

Happy Agnostica (and Candela Missa -- that's a little less late).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:36 pm
by Q99
the Siliconopolitan wrote:Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah ...

I don't think the bag is all that random.



Factor in that everyone who's in it is the type to celebrate agnostica :D