The Nukees Shorties

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

The Nukees Shorties

Postby KeithWright on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:10 am

Little Sir Luca is sooooo cute, and I'm enjoying the current story line immensly.

But to nitpick the art a bit, Luca is awfly short for his age isn't he? I mean he can't be much younger than 4 to be putting sentences like that together (even assuming he is way above his age group), but he is drawn about the height of my 15 month old. I'll accept artistic licence as an answer, but I figured there was a chance that Darren didn't know that kids shoot up like weeds, breaking the 3-foot mark before you have a chance to get a decent night's sleep.
KeithWright
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The Nukees Shorties

Postby Gav on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:34 pm

KeithWright wrote:Little Sir Luca is sooooo cute, and I'm enjoying the current story line immensly.

But to nitpick the art a bit, Luca is awfly short for his age isn't he? I mean he can't be much younger than 4 to be putting sentences like that together (even assuming he is way above his age group), but he is drawn about the height of my 15 month old. I'll accept artistic licence as an answer, but I figured there was a chance that Darren didn't know that kids shoot up like weeds, breaking the 3-foot mark before you have a chance to get a decent night's sleep.

I think he's actually close to three feet tall in these strips. Assuming the preist is less than 6 feet, young Sir Luca is about half his height.

I may have made him a little smaller than he probably should be, but I was following the lead of much cuter strips, like Peanuts or Calvin'n'Hobbes. Calvin is even shorter than Sir Luca, and he's about 6, right? I was thinking Sir Luca is about 6-7 years old here.

I think Watterson probably made Calvin shorter than a typical 6-year-old to emphasize how kids feel at that age, and I may be doing some of the same here. A lot of cartooning is about exaggeration. So there's a little artistic license, just to make it cuter.

Also, yeah, Sir Luca is using language a little advanced for his age, but that's a staple of humorous kids in comics like Calvin, Linus Van Pelt, Binkley, etc.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:03 am

'Lil Luca really is adorable. I think he could do anything if he just had a horse and some thorazine!
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 pm

"She said I lack the Thorazine."

Well, that explains a lot...
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Crystalis on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Finally, a semi-brainy joke that I laughed at *before* came here to get the explaination for the plebes. ;-P
-Proud to be a Sharply Shining Point!
-Schlurper of Newbies!
-OT Pope

Drink to the dead all you still alive,
we shall join them in good time.
Should you go crossing that silvery brook,
it's best to leap before you look.

Under Republicans, man exploits man. Under Democrats, it's just the reverse.
Crystalis
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:46 pm

Now that I think about it, once 'lil Luca has the thorazine, he may not even want the horse anymore.

And now I'm off to plan my spin off comic about the alternate universe where adult Cindy-Lee and Linus take care of the chibi versions of the Nukees crew.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:01 am

CodeGuy wrote:And now I'm off to plan my spin off comic about the alternate universe where adult Cindy-Lee and Linus take care of the chibi versions of the Nukees crew.

....I'm not sure if I should be horrified or amused at the idea.... :-|
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:06 am

bloodeye wrote:
CodeGuy wrote:And now I'm off to plan my spin off comic about the alternate universe where adult Cindy-Lee and Linus take care of the chibi versions of the Nukees crew.

....I'm not sure if I should be horrified or amused at the idea.... :-|

When in doubt, go for amused.
"The problem with History is that it can't have a happy ending." -Ouri Maler.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Did I say spin off? I meant one piece of fan art.

CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:41 am

...the horror is still strong, but amusement is winning out swiftly. :D
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby darthmiho on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:41 am

Possibly the most amusing in this is that we note no real change in Gav's personality at least as evident in the image. He still appears to be the evil genius (abeit shorter) that we know and distrust.

I'd read it if you ever did it as a comic.
darthmiho
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gav on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Very cool CodeGuy! Hrm, now I have to go somehow revive my "Art of the Nuclides" section. I haven't touched that in years.

Although, I find it very disturbing in an acausal sort of way that the grown-up Cindy Lee is looking after the youngun' version of her older sister.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:56 pm

Yeah, that's a little odd. It's just a result of the blatant fanservice approach that I took to crafting this parallel universe. These are the three characters that you've shown in shorty versions. So I took the three established chibi characters, threw in some hot chicks and a cute mascot, and Presto! A new comic destined to attract legions of ravenous fans. All it really lacks is the eternal (but always unfulfilled) promise of hot lesbianism, and that's why Cecilia would join the cast in the second month. :)

Basically, it's like Pretty Sammy. That's an anime I watched years ago, much to my own horror. It was the most painful thing I've ever watched, but I was watching it with a girl, so I sat through the whole thing. Years later I became a fan of the show it was a spin-off from. *Vastly* different. The guy who was the main character's brother in Pretty Sammy had no relation to her, except that he had a romantic interest with her sister (and possibly with her).

It's fascinated me ever since that a show could have a spin-off that is an alternate universe with the same characters, but in completely different relationships.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees