Gavina spotted

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Gavina spotted

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:58 pm

A guest comic on El Goonish Shive today had Gav in it. Kinda.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:57 am

Kewl!

Hmm. Gavina? Gavette? What's the best gynification of Gav's name?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby sun tzu on Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:58 pm

Gav wrote:Kewl!

Hmm. Gavina? Gavette? What's the best gynification of Gav's name?

Gavisconnie?
"The problem with History is that it can't have a happy ending." -Ouri Maler.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:19 pm

I like Gavette.

Of course, Gaviscon is his name, but G.A.V. is his initials. Along that lines, maybe it's like Shazam, where each letter stood for a certain thing for Captain Marvel, but they stood for different things for his sister Mary Marvel.

So her name would still be Gav, but instead of standing for Greed, Avarice, and V(we never settled on anything), she'd instead be Gav for Glory, Ardour, and Vanity?

Yeah, I like Gavette.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silver Adept on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:08 am

Gav gynated... hrm. Gavelle, perhaps?
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drow Bunny on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:38 pm

I think "Gavina" works pretty well, actually.
Knight of the Order of the Bunny. Near-certified Conversation Killer.
------------------------------------------------------------

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

If everything you say gets laughed at, then you become afraid of everyone...
And are no longer able to speak, even knowing all that does is bother everyone.
Everything looks completely dark.
Your heart shuts down.
And your words die.

...on a happier note, convene the Evil Council!
Drow Bunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bloodeye on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:01 am

Okay, warning, idea my brain came up with, and is too twisted to keep there. So going to share this idea with you so that I don't have to deal with it any more. Don't say you weren't warned.

If you are a male, save a sample of your own sperm, somehow turn into a female version of yourself, and then use the saved sperm to impregnate yourself, is the resulting child considered a clone? :-|

Yeah, I did warn ya.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:08 am

bloodeye wrote:Okay, warning, idea my brain came up with, and is too twisted to keep there. So going to share this idea with you so that I don't have to deal with it any more. Don't say you weren't warned.

If you are a male, save a sample of your own sperm, somehow turn into a female version of yourself, and then use the saved sperm to impregnate yourself, is the resulting child considered a clone? :-|

Yeah, I did warn ya.

In all likelihood, no.
You have 23 pairs of chromosome. Each chromosome has thousands of genes, and each gene will have its equivalent in the other chromosome in the pair - so, one version of the gene might be recessive.
The sperm cell and the Iforgetthename cell will each carry 23 chromosomes, so, one single version of each gene.
Now, let's take gene n
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm

*thinking through sun tzu's explaination*

So, taking a trait I'm familiar with, blood type and using the dominant/recessive argument you were using, if the person had type A blood, with Ao genotype, the gametes would each have chromosome coding for either A or o type blood. So the randomly selected sperm and ovum would have an equal chance of having either an A or an o - and if both were o the resultant offspring would have O type blood, different to the parent although created with only the one person's DNA.

I think I just repeated what you said, but I like to work things through and repeat stuff to make sure I understand properly.

It's an interesting idea to ponder. I mean, would using genetic material from just the one individual result in the same sorts of problems that arise when the DNA donors are closely related (siblings)? If I recall correctly it's the lack of diversity in the genetic material that causes problems with the offspring of closely related parents.
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:18 am

*nod* As I understand it, it's the recessive traits comming to the fore that's the problem.
As with your previous example, say instead the gene pairing is Nm, with N standing for 'Normal', and m for 'mutant freak'. By getting both sets of genetic material formt he same family, is an increased chance of both doners having the recessive 'm' gene, and thus a higher chance of the offspring resembeling English nobility.
But note it's not a single gene set that you have to worry about, there's hundreds of genes where a recessive trait might come to the fore and make for a problem. And keep the pairing up for a couple of generations, can have a family line with numerous genetic health problems.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Conina wrote:*thinking through sun tzu's explaination*

So, taking a trait I'm familiar with, blood type and using the dominant/recessive argument you were using, if the person had type A blood, with Ao genotype, the gametes would each have chromosome coding for either A or o type blood. So the randomly selected sperm and ovum would have an equal chance of having either an A or an o - and if both were o the resultant offspring would have O type blood, different to the parent although created with only the one person's DNA.

I think I just repeated what you said, but I like to work things through and repeat stuff to make sure I understand properly.

Correct.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:50 pm

Cool. :)

I've been thinking about the original question again though, about whether the offspring would be the clone of the parent. I mean, the genotype and phenotype of the offspring would differ from the parent, but the genetic material would nevertheless be all from the one donor and therefore identical, sort of. I mean, my genetic make-up differs from my parents because I've got DNA from both of them, although my siblings have also and I certainly don't match them, different combinations of genes/alleles and so on. So... would that make the offspring sort of the sibling of the parent?

[if that reads weird it's 'coz I was thinking it through as I wrote it - the end of the paragraph is not what I was initially going to write]
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:21 am

Conina wrote:Cool. :)

I've been thinking about the original question again though, about whether the offspring would be the clone of the parent. I mean, the genotype and phenotype of the offspring would differ from the parent, but the genetic material would nevertheless be all from the one donor and therefore identical, sort of. I mean, my genetic make-up differs from my parents because I've got DNA from both of them, although my siblings have also and I certainly don't match them, different combinations of genes/alleles and so on. So... would that make the offspring sort of the sibling of the parent?

[if that reads weird it's 'coz I was thinking it through as I wrote it - the end of the paragraph is not what I was initially going to write]

At this point, it's really just semantics. You share 50% of your DNA with each of your parents, 50% with your children, approximately 50% with siblings...Here, the offspring has a DNA that is, essentially, a subset of the parent's.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Erzengel on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:03 am

sun tzu wrote:The sperm cell and the Iforgetthename cell will each carry 23 chromosomes

I believe you mean the Ovum cell.
conina wrote:So... would that make the offspring sort of the sibling of the parent?

I'd say no, as sibling/parent/etc doesn't really have to do with genetics. The word "sibling" means "child of the same parent or parents". It does not means "Shares the same genetic materials of two persons with another person".
Erzengel des Lichtes
光の大天使
Archangel of the Light

Can't see kanji or kana? Find help here on Microsoft's website, Check here for linux help, and Macs (should) work fine without setup.

Read or the Owl will eat you!
Erzengel
Keenspot Despot

Postby sun tzu on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 am

Erzengel wrote:
sun tzu wrote:The sperm cell and the Iforgetthename cell will each carry 23 chromosomes

I believe you mean the Ovum cell.
conina wrote:So... would that make the offspring sort of the sibling of the parent?

I'd say no, as sibling/parent/etc doesn't really have to do with genetics. The word "sibling" means "child of the same parent or parents". It does not means "Shares the same genetic materials of two persons with another person".

Well, since you get 50% of each of your parents' genes, and your sibling will also be getting 50% of each (though not necessarilly the same 50%), you're still going to have, on average, 50% of your sibling's DNA.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Erzengel on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:29 pm

So? Your siblings have 50% of the same DNA, but so do your parents, and your children. So the words "Parents", "siblings", and "children" all mean roughly the same thing based purely on genetics.
Erzengel des Lichtes
光の大天使
Archangel of the Light

Can't see kanji or kana? Find help here on Microsoft's website, Check here for linux help, and Macs (should) work fine without setup.

Read or the Owl will eat you!
Erzengel
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 pm

Fair enough.

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Return to Nukees