[OT] Weekly geek gathering in Berkeley

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

[OT] Weekly geek gathering in Berkeley

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 am

I ordinarily would hesitate to mention something like this in a message board, as it comes across like advertising, but since all things Berkeley are vaguely on topic for Nukees, I thought I could mention it here without being too far gone.

There's a sort discussion group that meets at Saul's Deli on Shattuck just north of Vine (near Black Oak Books), every Thursday morning between 8:30 and 10:30 or so. While it's not specifically a geek or tech group, most of the people in it are at least technically inclined, and there are quite a few programmers, admins and two-oh'ers in the group, as well as engineers in other fields (though no Nukees yet so far as I know).

I thought that this might be of interest to some of you, though to be honest I'm mostly mentioning it because it would also be an opportunity for some of the Nuclides in the East Bay to meet face to face.

I will warning you that, this being Berkeley, the discussion often veers into politics, which is mostly 'liberal' (feh, stooopid conventional political categorizations) and/or left-Libertarian in tone, though they probably would welcome a 'conservative' (feh again - did these terms ever mean anything more than 'my side' and 'your side'?) who was willing to play gadfly and didn't mind being outnumbered. A certain amount of local political activism gets discussed.
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Blast. Work prevents me.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Return to Nukees