Out of curiosity...

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Out of curiosity...

Postby nick012000 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:58 am

I was just reading through the "Dan quotes" section of the site, and I have to wonder if Dan has Asperger's Syndrome. I have it myself, and I can definately see some manner of resemblance (especially if he really doesn't use contractions during casual speech- being overly formal and pedantic is a characteristic of AS).

That said, he wouldn't have it if those were the only traits he has, and I've never met him, so he might want to check out the Diagnostic criteria, though I'll point out that many of these can be compensated for by intellect by the adult Aspies (an affectionate term we use for ourselves).
nick012000
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 am

Nah, the real life Danny really isn't so bad. I've met individuals in the sciences before that appear to probably have Aspergers, or perhaps even mild autism, and Dan isn't anything like that. His non-sequiters are hilarious, especially in person, but they're usually the result of his mouth acting faster than his brain, I think. Sometimes if you push hard enough, you catch a glimmer of a semi-logical explanation.

For instance, I did figure out a valid explanation for the "Are you left-handed, Gav? No? Oh, you're just weird then?" He saw my watch on the "wrong" hand for a right-handed person. But he didn't share that piece of information with me when he said, "Oh you're just weird then?"

Other times, of course, when you push him to give his explanation of what he just said, the response is even weirder ("I didn't want to get hair in it..."). But still, he's not pathological.

He might be obsessive-compulsive. The strip I did on whiting-out stray photocopy marks on photocopied homework answer keys was based on a true incident.

But no more than me, who can't sit next to a pile of coasters without straightening then.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:40 am

Gav wrote:But no more than me, who can't sit next to a pile of coasters without straightening then.

AOL's got your home address, I presume?
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:05 pm

You know, some of those quotes aren't all that weird. I admit I don't know the situations and the thought processes prompting the comments would probably be different from my own, but I still think I'd say some of those things. :D

Others I wouldn't though. 'It's not free, it's from 4pm to 6pm' just makes no sense however I look at it. :-?
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:03 am

Conina wrote:Others I wouldn't though. 'It's not free, it's from 4pm to 6pm' just makes no sense however I look at it. :-?
Well, it's not really free if it's bound by time, is it. It may be spatially free, but temporally it's boxed in.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sidhekin on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:12 am

What is constrained, is not free.

Unqualified freedom is singular.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Sidhekin
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Fine. Good point. :P
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:07 am

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
Gav wrote:But no more than me, who can't sit next to a pile of coasters without straightening then.

AOL's got your home address, I presume?

Nah, I just live in a bar.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:15 am

Gav wrote:Nah, I just live in a bar.

Well, we should have seen that one coming.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby miss kyri on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 pm

You know, on the left handed note, I also wear my watch on the "wrong" hand. And I've also taken false signals, wondering if my friend was left handed because he held his fork in the left hand, when, altho he was in fact left-handed, it turns out thats also the british way of doing things... (and oddly he uses a right handed mouse).
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby HiFranc on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:09 am

miss kyri wrote:You know, on the left handed note, I also wear my watch on the "wrong" hand. And I've also taken false signals, wondering if my friend was left handed because he held his fork in the left hand, when, altho he was in fact left-handed, it turns out thats also the british way of doing things... (and oddly he uses a right handed mouse).

Are you in Britain at the moment?
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gav on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:53 am

Actually, my experience with people from many different nationalities (mostly European) is that it's not the "British" way to hold the fork in the left hand, but rather the "American" way to switch the fork to the right hand.

In fact, my ex-girlfriend's Mom (in Finland) told me a story (well, told it in Finnish and it was translated) about how in the 50's, when the winter Olympics came to Finland, at a time when few Finns had been exposed to other cultures (moreso non-Europeans), people were actually excited to see Americans simply because they heard Americans switched their fork to the other hand when they ate. For some reason, that was interesting.

I spent enough time with her, and other Europeans, that I've started to see the American way as kinda stupid. We cut one way, then put the knife down, switch hands, eat, switch back, pick up the knife again... So inefficient!

So sometimes, I'll do it "their" way... The scientist in me can't resist a more logical methodology. But I end up putting my silverware down after every bite, anyway. Frankly, it's too efficient. You can race through your meal in about 17 seconds when you don't switch hands. Americans are fat enough already.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby miss kyri on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Hahaha! I like the too efficient bit.

No, I did know it was more so americans who were weird. I've tried to switch my habits but its a slow process.

I am in fact lurking in NYC at the moment, I'll be returning to the (beautiful but very wet) isles in the fall! I've been having tons of fun trying to convince people (well, postal workers) to put the "standard sized envelopes" that seem to come from my various correspondances with UCAS in my tiny new york apartment mailbox.....

And maybe the finnish needed more to do? ^_^
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 pm

I've tried to eat in the non-American way, just because it's so dumb. However, the habit is just too great. I can't get used to using the fork in a sensible way.

I like the point on being "too" efficient though. I've heard that people really eat for a period of time, not a certain amount. So if you slow down, you end up eating less. Perhaps we could solve the obesity problem in America by tricking people into eating in an even more inefficient and slow manner.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:02 am

Gav wrote:I spent enough time with her, and other Europeans, that I've started to see the American way as kinda stupid. We cut one way, then put the knife down, switch hands, eat, switch back, pick up the knife again... So inefficient!
True, it's inefficient, but that's how I do it.. I just can't handle the fork with my left hand. Even though that qualifies as normal around here..
Of course, I can cut or break most things with my fork, or eat with my knife. So I don't necessarily switch that much.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 am

CodeGuy wrote:I like the point on being "too" efficient though. I've heard that people really eat for a period of time, not a certain amount. So if you slow down, you end up eating less.
That just sound silly to me.
I eat what's on my plate (generally), no more, no less. No matter how long I sit behind it.

Perhaps we could solve the obesity problem in America by tricking people into eating in an even more inefficient and slow manner.
They should just decide on how much they need to eat, and leave it at that. No second helpings, and no starting off at ludicrous amounts.
It might also help to switch to two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) rather than more (let alone eating the whole day through).
Getting chased through the streets by a pack of angry wolves might help a bit as well. You'll loose weight one way or another, either by running or by being too slow. :P
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:13 am

Could try chopsticks. If that doesn't slow you down for at least the first couple days of trying to use them, nothing will.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 am

bloodeye wrote:Could try chopsticks. If that doesn't slow you down for at least the first couple days of trying to use them, nothing will.
How about using just one chopstick.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:28 am

Gav wrote:... We cut one way, then put the knife down, switch hands, eat, switch back, pick up the knife again...

My mother, who is definitely someone you could classify as an "Europhile", refers to the above as "the great American knife shuffle". She taught me to eat "European" style just about from Day One (or at least Day As-Early-As-I-Can-Remember), so that's the way I eat. The knife is on the right, so it goes in my right hand. The spoon is on the right, too, so I use that in my right hand. The fork is on the left, so I use that in my left hand. Unless I'm using it primarily to scoop (treating it like a spoon), in which case I will sometimes switch it to my right.

People I eat with will sometimes ask me if I'm left-handed... Nope, this is just the way I eat!

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wafath on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 am

I have tried the european way, and found it harder for me than learning chopsticks. Frankly I have delt with the ineficency by tending to eat foods that can be cut with the side of the fork, which is just about anything but whole red meat.
Wafath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 am

towr wrote:
CodeGuy wrote:I like the point on being "too" efficient though. I've heard that people really eat for a period of time, not a certain amount. So if you slow down, you end up eating less.
That just sound silly to me.
I eat what's on my plate (generally), no more, no less. No matter how long I sit behind it.

There's actually multiple things going on here. The time thing is based on hunger. Once you get a certain amount of food in you, it takes a little while for your body to adjust and stop sending out hunger signals. If people eat quickly, then they get a lot more food in themselves before that adjustment takes place.

The "eating what's on your plate" thing is an American tradition. People who grew up in my father's generation were told to never, ever waste food. His parents lived through the Great Depression, so I think that had something to do with it. The result is that we have a "clean your plate" mentality in this country. Almost everyone is trained to eat everything in front of them even if they're not hungry.

Really, if you eat your meals slowly and stop eating when you're not hungry anymore, that alone will keep most people from ever becoming overweight. America's obesity problems come largely from its traditions.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:40 pm

Wafath wrote:Frankly I have delt with the ineficency by tending to eat foods that can be cut with the side of the fork, which is just about anything but whole red meat.
Yeah, and that, one should eat with ones hands. In true caveman fashion.
It just makes dinner so much more fun..
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:02 pm

CodeGuy wrote:The "eating what's on your plate" thing is an American tradition.
I think it's pretty much tradition everywhere. My father doesn't like wasting stuff either.
And of course we used to hear how people in Africa would be all to happy to eat it. (But we weren't allowed to mail it to them)

Really, if you eat your meals slowly and stop eating when you're not hungry anymore, that alone will keep most people from ever becoming overweight.
I suppose. But most people rush through life and can't be bothered to take the time for something as mundane (and important) as having a meal. So I doubt it will happen unless there is some cultural revolution.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby miss kyri on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:29 pm

towr wrote:It might also help to switch to two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) rather than more (let alone eating the whole day through).

Its better for your digestive system to eat tiny amounts constantly tho... I had to eat two meals a day at one point and it really messed with my energy levels and my digestive system. Of course, two small meals might be appropriate for a particuarly sedentary adult...

towr wrote:Getting chased through the streets by a pack of angry wolves might help a bit as well. You'll loose weight one way or another, either by running or by being too slow. :P

I like.
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:13 am

miss kyri wrote:
towr wrote:It might also help to switch to two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) rather than more (let alone eating the whole day through).

Its better for your digestive system to eat tiny amounts constantly tho... I had to eat two meals a day at one point and it really messed with my energy levels and my digestive system. Of course, two small meals might be appropriate for a particuarly sedentary adult...

No, you were right about spreading it out over the day. When someone doesn't eat often, their body thinks it's being starved. You get less energy and more fat storage. 5 small meals a day is healthier than 3 medium sized meals, and 2 large meals a day is a bad idea.

Of course, 5 *large* meals a day is a *very* bad idea. :)
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Nukees