Danny Chinese

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Danny Chinese

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:58 am

Wait a sec! I thought Danny was Vietnamese...

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=danny

Now he's Chinese?
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 am

Eh, he's asian. They all look alike. :wink:

Possible mistake by Gav<sub>author</sub>, or just that Gav<sub>charecter</sub> dosen't know/care about the diffrence.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby kiga on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:29 pm

There are many people of Chinese descent living in Vietnam. Some descendants of such now live in the U.S.
Kevin Iga
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
kiga
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby e-Monk on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:16 pm

"I am from Vietnam . . . I am chinese, though."

http://www.nukees.com/d/20030416.html
(these would be so much easier to find once all the strips are transcripted.)
e-Monk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gav on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 am

Yeah, the first strip was a bit of a mistake in nomenclature, which I tried to clear up later, probably unsuccessfully. I've been debating doing a little "causality violation" to fix it all, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with such a large change in a past strip.

Danny is racially Chinese, but nationally from Vietnam. When I first said he was "Vietnamese," I was thinking of his national origin, but later realized that's how americans think, not how asians think.

This is confuddled by my Americanocentric way of thinking, in which nationality often trumps ethnicity. When we say we are "american," very very few of us are claiming to be native Americans. When my ethnically-indian friend from Germany says he's German in a German accent, I don't really bat an eyelash. Thus, in the first strip, my first instinct was to refer to nationality. Probably a bad idea. In this strip, ethnicity is what's being referred to.

Probably shoulda just gone with "asian," but that'd be side-stepping the issue even further.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Sidhekin on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:07 am

Gav wrote:Probably shoulda just gone with "asian," but that'd be side-stepping the issue even further.

Plus, it'd just be ... odd.

Gav<sub>[size=50]character[/size]</sub> wrote:Oh dear Lord, Danny! When's the last time you've even been back to China?
Alternative-version Danny wrote:I am Asian.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Sidhekin
Keenspot Despot

Postby miss kyri on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Cleared up. I as wondering too, as I was thinking he had said he was vietnamese as well. More so how europeans think even than americans tho, as americans in america frequently have to explain their ethnicities, in my expirience. But an american abroad would be expected to say american, yes. And not german-american or chinese-american or whatever. Or I'm babbling. Its late.
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MaxJenius on Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Heh... whenever someone asks me where I'm from, I tell them, "Augusta" (Georgia)

I just love the blank looks.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Heh. People ask me what country I'm from, then don't believe me when I tell them. Apparently I talk funny. :)
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Jeffery McLean on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:21 am

People just presume I'm from England.

Never been there in my life.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sluggite RCG on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:50 am

I get that too.
Speech defect + speech therapy= foreign accent.
Last edited by Sluggite RCG on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is It Not Nifty
Worship The Comic
http://www.sluggy.com/
Sluggite RCG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In my own little world, but it's OK, they like me there.

Postby miss kyri on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Me three...

Altho as of this July i've been to england. And I don't bloody well sound english!

Er, how many people which speech issues read this tiny forum??!
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:11 am

Am guessing somewhere between 'most' and 'all'. After all, not only is it in English (which doesn't 'borrow' from other languages, it takes other languages into back alleys and robs them of grammar), but it's on the internet, which is know for it's language 3rr0rs.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:22 am

MaxJenius wrote:Heh... whenever someone asks me where I'm from, I tell them, "Augusta" (Georgia)

I just love the blank looks.

Hey, in English, Georgia can be confusing enough by itself. Especially if your accent is neither US Southern nor Kartuli.
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:09 am

Jeffery McLean wrote:People just presume I'm from England.

Never been there in my life.

Yeah, that's how Richard Garriott came to call himself Lord British (though he hasn't used that name himself in a while), even though he's from Texas (admittedly, he was born in the UK, but only lived there for a few months IIRC).
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby John Campbell on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Back in junior high, in North Carolina, I had this exchange with a couple of girls in one of my classes:

Girl: You have a neat accent. Where are you from?
Me: Vermont.
Girl: Vermont? Where's that?
Me: In New England.
Girl: You're from Europe!?!
Other Girl: Oh, I've heard of Vermont! It's near Stowe, right? We went skiing there once.
John Campbell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Conina on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Bwahahahaha! :lol:

Even I know what country Vermont is in - and I don't even live in the same hemisphere. :lol:
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby e-Monk on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 pm

From living too many years in the U.S., I now get people from Israel saying I have an American accent when I speak Hebrew, even though I've still got a pretty noticeable accent when I speak English. (Not a characteristically Israeli accent; people most often guess I'm from France.) So now I have an accent no matter where I am, it's the neatest.
e-Monk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby the Siliconopolitan on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:01 am

e-Monk wrote:From living too many years in the U.S., I now get people from Israel saying I have an American accent when I speak Hebrew, even though I've still got a pretty noticeable accent when I speak English. (Not a characteristically Israeli accent; people most often guess I'm from France.) So now I have an accent no matter where I am, it's the neatest.

I still have rather a heavy accent in my English - I'll never get the proper prosody; I'm as amusical as can be - I usually get pegged as German or Austrian (except this one time at the ILL where the safety officer immediately recognised the name and addressed me in Danish; I was too baffled to ask, why he spoke such an obscure language.

Anyway, my vocabulary is fairly good by now. Unfortunately to the detriment of my Danish ditto. So while I don't speak Danish with any accent (or dialect, sadly), I use a ridiculous amount of English words in preference to Danish ones, in a way I have always hated still abhor in the young'uns.
[i]Si les triangles faisaient un Dieu, ils lui donneraient trois c
the Siliconopolitan
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:14 am

I tend to pick up on the accents of those around me, which sometimes helps me blend in, other times people think I'm making fun of their accent. Which occasionally I am, but that's not the point.

Have grown up mostly in the Mid-west, so very few people tend to reconize my 'native' accent. Including other people from the midwest. really isn't so much an accent as a habit of linguistic shorthand.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Return to Nukees