[OT] Incredibly Sadistic Word Problems

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

[OT] Incredibly Sadistic Word Problems

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:45 pm

(x-posted to KS:CRFH, KS:ESG Mayhem, KS:Nukees and NS:Schlock Mercenary)
  1. Marsha has a twisted ankle and cannot run, but she can fly at a constant rate of 3kmph for up to 5 minutes before she needs to stop for 2 minutes. April can run at a constant rate of 4kmph for up to 21 minutes before needing to take a 7 minute break. They both are trying to get to the Dragon's villa 13 km away before the other one does, and there is no other transportation on the way. Assuming that ground obstacles slow April down by an average of 25%, who will get to tell terrible lies about the other one first?
  2. Ellen regularly uses her Venus Beam to transform Susan, Diane, TC, Justin, Dr Bluel, Melissa and Nanase. Assuming that
    • she zaps one person every weekday and two on Saturday and Sunday,
    • she always zaps them in the order given above, except that also she zaps herself once for every three times she zaps someone else,
    • being zapped ruins any hair dye or styling gel used,
    • blue hair dye costs $1.69 a bottle and is good for 3 uses,
    • black hair dye costs $1.99 a bottle and is good for 5 uses,
    • hair mousse costs $19.95 a can and is good for 10 uses,
    then, between Susan, Dr. Bluel and Melissa, how many weeks will it be before the total cost of additional hair care due to zappage exceeds $1000?
  3. Sgt Schlock has fallen out of police vehicle moving 42m/s, on a planet where the force of gravity is 6.9m/s^2. He starts at a height of 250m. He is initially in a roughly spherical shape, and air friction decelerates him by 0.5m/s^2. He falls for 2 seconds before he reacts to the situation by shifting his form into that of a glider. it takes him 13 seconds to change, during which time his deceleration increases cumulatively by 17% every second, how long will it be before he reaches the ground, and what will his airspeed be? (Yes, I know that this is poorly written; I wanted to focus on the math, not the physics. Sue me.)
  4. Gav<sub>character</sub> is in Kresge Library when he hears that an anti-nuclear rally is taking place at Sproul Plaza. He decides to attack the protesters using the Giant Ant, but makes the mistake of telling Suzy, who in a surprising fit of conscience decides to try warning the protesters. To prevent a panic, she decides to tell just two of them at a time, and have them help her spread the warning. If
    • Gav is 105m away from where the Ant is kept, and can walk there at a constant rate of 23m per minute,
    • it takes 93 seconds to get the Ant started,
    • the Ant can walk the 335m to sproul Plaza at a constant rate of 300m per minute,
    • Suzy can sprint the 1138m from Kresge to Sproul at a constant rate of 86m per minute, but is due to other students getting in her was is delayed by 5 seconds for every 42 seconds which she is running,
    • once at Sproul, Suzy and each of the warned protesters can each warn two others every 15 seconds,
    • there initially are 3125 protesters at the rally, but all of the warned protesters will escape 57 seconds before the Ant arrives,
    how many protesters will still be there for Gav to squash?

And no, I can tell you the answers... because I'm too lazy to actually figure them out myself. :)

Can anyone else come up with some good/bad ones?
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:09 pm

I messed up on the Gav problem; the distance Suzy has to go and the distance the Ant has to go don't work out. Given that Gav walked only 105m, the least distance the Ant would have to go is 1033m. This still wouldn't change the results, though, as the Ant will still get there before Suzy does.

(And yes, I know that the IRL distance from Kresge to Sproul is less than a kilometer.)

I should have been more careful about this sort of thing, really, but I was mostly concentrating on being twisty and not looking close enough at the results.

Does anyone have any problems of their own to add?
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 am

heh.. fun.
Unfortunately I don't have any time to work on it. And they'll probably be solved before I do..

I suppose we have to assume that the people Ellen zapped are at some point transformed back, before she zaps them again.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees