...urnial? (2-3-06)

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Postby bloodeye on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:25 am

Something to be noted about Midwest water.... yes, we have a fair bit of it, though have lakes and such drying up, but when you turn on the tap and get your water, be aware it's going to be much harder than you're probally used to, and with a way higher nitrogen content. Yes, the water softners and such do help, but still...
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 pm

High nitrogen content? We're trying to reduce the nitrogen content in most of our waterways - too much has been artificially added, which is not good for Aussie plants, but very good for certain river-killing organisms. S'funny considering the contrasts between continents. :)
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 am

Um.... no. See, we're also trying to reduce the nitrogen level. Trying being the opertive word. With the massive amounts of fertilizer used in the area, nitrogen levels tend to be two to three hundred percent the recomended high...
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dexam on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:32 am

We've got the same problem here in Australia. Generally speaking, Australia tends to have fairly poor soil, so a lot of fertilizers are used. When it rains, the excess nitrogen in the soil gets washed into the rivers, causing massive bacterial and algal blooms. One of the most common problems is cyanobacteria, more commonly (but incorrectly) known as blue-green algae (yeah, I'm pedantic). Apart from being quite toxic in sufficient amounts, it also starves the waterways of oxygen.
Dexam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Pinned under a snowmobile, fending off ice weasels.

Postby Crystalis on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:19 pm

miss kyri wrote:California has both water and space at a premium. (Similarly new engalnd, oddly enough.)

I don't find it odd that New England has plenty of space - it's frigging cold during the winter! Who would want to move there? ;-P
-Proud to be a Sharply Shining Point!
-Schlurper of Newbies!
-OT Pope

Drink to the dead all you still alive,
we shall join them in good time.
Should you go crossing that silvery brook,
it's best to leap before you look.

Under Republicans, man exploits man. Under Democrats, it's just the reverse.
Crystalis
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:21 pm

To bloodeye: Oops. :oops: Guess I misunderstood. I figured that because the tap water had high nitrogen levels it must be the natural state of things.

To Dexam: many thanks for the explaination. That's what I was actually talking about, but I didn't really explain myself too well - guess I shouldn't be so lazy. And don't worry about being pedantic, we need more pedants! Too much sloppiness!
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:17 am

No worries, I wasn't quite as clear as I could have been.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby miss kyri on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 pm

Crystalis wrote:
miss kyri wrote:California has both water and space at a premium. (Similarly new engalnd, oddly enough.)

I don't find it odd that New England has plenty of space - it's frigging cold during the winter! Who would want to move there? ;-P

Er, no, new england is also low-ish on space. Well, space is expesnive anway. I won't argue that, there arn't tracts of it which arn't being used, in both cali and new england! And in boths places the coast is at a much higher premium, and prolly you can live semi-cheaper away from it.

And new england's winter has nothing on Michigan's or (Central and Eastern) Canada's....
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Nukees