...urnial? (2-3-06)

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

...urnial? (2-3-06)

Postby bloodeye on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:39 am

Okay, I don't get it. Someone please explain?
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Actually...

I have to apologize profusely for today's strip. I'm really not sure what possessed me to draw it, but I felt inexoribly compelled to do it anyway. It only makes sense to those very few people who have used the men's room at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obisbo.

But, the more enterprising of you could also figure it out with a Google search.

And yeah yeah, it's totally not fair to require research to get a joke, but... well... I had the same evil compulsion that came over me during "Physics Joke Week."

I figured, I've drawn over 1200 strips--I get some license to do what I want every now and then, even when it's a bad bad idea.

I promise not to do it again until strip #2400.

[fingers crossed behind back]
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby towr on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:03 pm

It's obispo isn't it?
I couldn't read it very well, so I tried looking it up :p

It got 'best restroom award'
http://www.geocities.com/rscarpen/Lb/US ... rinal.html
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:21 pm

OK, I looked it up.

"The Inn is also known for its magical waterfall urinal in the public men's room. The urinal, which triggers a sheet of water to fall 8 feet when an electric eye beam is broken, is an internationally known landmark. "

Yep, kinda funky.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jross on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:22 pm

I live just down the street from the Madonna Inn. Have you seen the rest of the bathrooms there? ALL of the bathrooms are themed, and some of them are even crazier. I'll go down and take pictures later if that's required for people to understand...

Gav - Awesome comic! Both that specific one (I was floored just seeing SLO referenced that way), and in general. I love the nerd humor (I'm a physicist in the nuclear power industry) ;)
jross
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 pm

jross wrote:Gav - Awesome comic! Both that specific one (I was floored just seeing SLO referenced that way), and in general. I love the nerd humor (I'm a physicist in the nuclear power industry) ;)

Yay! Someone got it! Actually, I think perhaps a few dozen of my readers should get the reference.

Gee, a physicist in the nuclear power industry who works in SLO? Where on earth could you possibly be working? ;)

Yeah, sometimes I just feel like doing weird things with the strip, which become so overwhelmingly compelling, I can't get a new idea unless I do it.

I have not seen the other restrooms, but I'm aware that they are all pretty funky, and I've seen photos of the many, many themed rooms. It's quite a place. Very popular honeymoon location. Also, my old car (Sabrina) would always break down there on the 101.

Today's strip was also a prime example of "Bad joke, good art." I've noticed over the years that when I know the joke is bad (either "good kind of bad" or "bad kind of bad"), I overcompensate on the art to make up for it. Similarly, when I think a strip is particularly funny, I tend to subconsciously get lazy with the actual drawing. Unfortunately, these leaves me with very few "good/good" strips with which to effectively promote Nukees. :-|

And yes, it looks like I screwed up the name of San Luis. I'll get that fixed.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby DarkShive on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:55 pm

Road trip!
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Conina on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:15 pm

If I point out that that's a huge waste of water, will people hit me? :shifty:
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 pm

We're Americans. Waste is considered patriotic.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Some. Others just consider it sad that we have the first group.

Personally, I figure as long as we waste water, might as well do it in an intresting fashion.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby jross on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:31 pm

bloodeye wrote:Some. Others just consider it sad that we have the first group.

Personally, I figure as long as we waste water, might as well do it in an intresting fashion.

On a seemingly unrelated note, can anyone think of a good reason not to use sea water to flush toilets and/or urinals?
jross
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:56 pm

The smell for one. That 'salty sea tang' might be appealing to some, but others might prefer a diffrent order for their rest room.
I also doubt that much salt in the water would be good for the toilet, let alone the pipes.
Be a pain to rig up an entire new system of pipes, pumps, etc, rather than just using an offshoot of the pipes that go to the showers, sink, etc.
And for those of us living far from the sea, not only be a pain to get the salt water in the first place, but do rather nasty things to the enviroment when all that salt is flushed.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 am

:o You have water enough to waste in America?

That's, that's almost inconceivable! :o

I guess I tend to think everywhere faces the same restrictions, which is ridiculous when you think about it.

Of course, that waterfall urinal might use recycled water. That's perfectly acceptable. Mostly.
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby jross on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 pm

bloodeye wrote:The smell for one. That 'salty sea tang' might be appealing to some, but others might prefer a diffrent order for their rest room.
I also doubt that much salt in the water would be good for the toilet, let alone the pipes.
Be a pain to rig up an entire new system of pipes, pumps, etc, rather than just using an offshoot of the pipes that go to the showers, sink, etc.
And for those of us living far from the sea, not only be a pain to get the salt water in the first place, but do rather nasty things to the enviroment when all that salt is flushed.

Yeah, go and inject reality into the pipe dream. :cry:
jross
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:44 am

You're welcome. Crushing dreams is what I'm here for. That, and MST3K style commentary.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby slyguy on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 am

The strip was awesome! Let me say that at least two people got the joke.

Of course, I too lived just down the street from the Madonna Inn about a year ago. But I'm ashamed to say that in all the time I spent there I never went to see (and and make use of!) that urinal...

Local humour is a nice thing, from time to time. I'm liking these "road trip" comics.
slyguy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:54 am

Actually, I got it right away, even though I live clear on the other side of the country. I saw a show on the Travel Channel that showed the top 10 bathrooms in the world, and the Madonna Inn was one of them.

Another is this gold toliet in China.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby kiga on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:28 pm

I've gone by SLO a number of times (I used to know some folks at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and I used to go up to the Bay area that route sometimes) but I never actually went in to the Madonna Inn. I heard enough about it that I got the reference, though.

I'm looking forward to all the LA references (where I live).

Kevin
Kevin Iga
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
kiga
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Erzengel on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:31 am

Conina wrote::o You have water enough to waste in America?

That's, that's almost inconceivable! :o

I guess I tend to think everywhere faces the same restrictions, which is ridiculous when you think about it.

Of course, that waterfall urinal might use recycled water. That's perfectly acceptable. Mostly.

Where in the world are you where you don't have water enough to waste?

(That "in the world" is meant literally, not for emphasis)
Erzengel des Lichtes
光の大天使
Archangel of the Light

Can't see kanji or kana? Find help here on Microsoft's website, Check here for linux help, and Macs (should) work fine without setup.

Read or the Owl will eat you!
Erzengel
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:57 pm

That would be Australia, where we actually have toilets that use no water at all (well, some people do), and there are serious discussions about whether or not a desalintaion plant will be the answer to Sydney's water needs.

And people do still waste water - we just can't really afford to.

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:38 am

I've heard about that. Is that mainly a Sydney problem, or is it true in areas like Brisbane, also?
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Conina on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Well, as far as I know Sydney is the only place considering a desalination plant (but where I live we pretty much just get local news and Sydney news, stuff from anywhere else would have to be pretty big to get a mention - hence I know more about the happenings in the US than those in Perth). The water crisis is real everywhere though. Given that something like 80% of the continent counts as semi-arid or arid, that's probably not too unexpected, but it's amazing how many people apparently didn't see it coming.

What I find funny is that I live in one of the semi-arid areas, but we don't have the same water restrictions as Sydney, well not in town anyway, 'coz the town water isn't from a dam. :P We get less rain, but we've got more drinking water (irrigation water on the other hand is an entirely different matter).

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dexam on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:41 am

Actually, a desalination plant is currently under construction for Perth, Western Australia.

You can find details of the project here. There's a link for the specifications at the bottom of the page for those that are interested in such things.

What's really strange is that Perth is currently having it's coolest, wettest summer in years, so the current dam water levels are higher than they have been in about 10 years. Watering restrictions are still in effect, if somewhat relaxed - who knows what next year will bring.

Conina wrote:Given that something like 80% of the continent counts as semi-arid or arid, that's probably not too unexpected, but it's amazing how many people apparently didn't see it coming.

Rainfall averages were a lot higher in decades past, when water infrastructure was being put in place. In my opinion, what caught people by surprise was changing weather patterns and higher than expected population growth for most of the major cities.
Dexam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Pinned under a snowmobile, fending off ice weasels.

Postby Conina on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:47 pm

See, I said we didn't get news from Perth. The coolest, wettest summer in years eh? NSW has been having it's hottest, yet wettest summer (or at least, January) for years. Must be a good time for rain in Australia. Makes me wonder if it's gonna keep up for the whole year.

Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby miss kyri on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Actually california specifically, where gav is from, is starting to have huge water problems, mostly percipitated by the south yada yada its very political anyway....

In many parts of america there is plenty of water altho pollution is starting to cause problems. Its hardly metered in the greener areas. And the great lakes hold 18% of the worlds fresh water, altho ask us how usable it is...

I noted, at one point: California has both water and space at a premium. (Similarly new engalnd, oddly enough.) Colorado, on the other hand, has lots of space, but water is still a premium. The midwest has lots of water, and lots of space. To find a place with lots of water but not much space... England :)

I would like to add that Uruguay also has lots of water and lots of space, as does argentina, and probably much of latin america.

After that its all heresay to me....
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Nukees